Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ketchup on Hot Dogs?!?!?

Options

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Ketchup on dogs is great. Putting vegetables or whatever you call a Chicago style dog is a mortal sin. I don't understand how that even looks appealing. But to each his own. Eat them however you like them.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I see what you've done here.
    Is that one of them fancy gourmet cream filed dogs?
    Glad to see there are at least a couple here who realize this thread is not about ketchup. Or hot dogs. 
    :))

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Geeez, guys - I can't believe the fire fight started over using ketchup on hot dogs - want to start a real pissin contest then start a thread about what should or should not go into a batch of chili! Besides - what difference does it make? Until somebody is paying for my food then I'd enjoy what my family and I like! OK? LOL - SEE - This is still a friendly post so no flames - OK?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    After reading @nolaegghead‌ response I think I get the joke. I hope that I'm wrong in my interpretation but I fear that I'm correct.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    Options
    I hate to admit that I do judge people when I see them put it on a hot dog.  
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    @rrp I think the closest my wife and I have come to a divorce may have been over arguments about whether something containing noodles can rightly be called "chili."  (clearly her and her fellow noodle lovers are in the wrong)
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    jerryb78 said:
    @rrp I think the closest my wife and I have come to a divorce may have been over arguments about whether something containing noodles can rightly be called "chili."  (clearly her and her fellow noodle lovers are in the wrong)

LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    I did really like ketchup on hotdogs but after figuring out the illusion in the picture I think I will pass on the ketchup from now on. Can't get that awful image out of my head and I'm sure it will haunt me from now on every time I see a hotdog from now on. I'm a converted pass the mustard guy from this day forward.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    SGH said:
    I did really like ketchup on hotdogs but after figuring out the illusion in the picture I think I will pass on the ketchup from now on. Can't get that awful image out of my head and I'm sure it will haunt me from now on every time I see a hotdog from now on. I'm a converted pass the mustard guy from this day forward.

Wow, I didn't mean to ruin anything for anyone!  
    :P

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• SGH
    Options
    @Botch
    That's ok brother. We are still friends. Just will be eating my hotdogs with mustard from now on!

Status- Standing by.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I eat hot dogs with ketchup and wash it down with Budweiser.

The damn thing is made out of scrap meat wrapped in intestines. Don't tell me how to eat one properly or how it's soooooo wrong to eat one of those intestines with ketchup on top! Oh and to wash it down with Budweiser. I'm sure I'll catch crap for drinking the wrong beer that wasn't brewed in some cousins basement and aged for two years!

Eat whatever you want and drink whatever you like. Hell, I eat Mac and Cheese and applesauce together. If you don't like it that's too damn bad! :)) In all seriousness, I'm down with ketchup!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Sweet pickle relish, ketchup, & mustard (less mustard than ketchup) is the way I like my Hot dogs if eating them with my hands, no utensils.
    If using a fork & knife, then smothered in chili, and sprinkled with cheese and jalapeno's.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @500‌ Inspector Harry Callahan is right! Mustard of any variety, onions, relish, mayo, chili, jalapenos, hell even cheese but, ketchup :-q
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For me, tomato sugar sauce has two purposes - 1. french fries.  2. an ingredient for stuff like red sauce.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ or even a meatloaf. But, hot dogs, brats, sausages, etc helltotheno!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo, grilled onions...mmmmm :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I use a little red fruit called "tomatoes" when I want tomatoes on my burger.  I hate sugar in my savory food.  I am a Person Not Interested In Sugar (P.N.I.I.S).  Everyone to their own.  Being a  purist is just another excuse for doing it one way.
    Options
    Ketchup, mustard, and relish on dogs here.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    Chili with beans covered with hot slaw most of the time.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited June 2014
    Options
    http://youtu.be/eVdpMN3xkWo Start it at 1:07.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Finally, Ketchup I will eat.  [-X

Johns Creek, Georgia
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I've changed my mind.  I would now like Ketchup on my Hot Dog.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I am with ketchup with diced onions on my dogs. Love it and will do it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Ketchup on my hot dog & on my tater tots too. :x

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bud812 said:
    There is not enough ketchup in the world to make a tater tot edible.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I use a little red fruit called "tomatoes" when I want tomatoes on my burger.  I hate sugar in my savory food.  I am a Person Not Interested In Sugar (P.N.I.I.S).  Everyone to their own.  Being a  purist is just another excuse for doing it one way.
    You did it wrong.

It's People Exclusively Not Interested in Sugar.

I too only utilize tomatoes in their natural state(well, cut, but still as formed as possible).
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    Options
    It's your dog, put anything you like on it.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    I eat hot dogs with ketchup and wash it down with Budweiser. The damn thing is made out of scrap meat wrapped in intestines. Don't tell me how to eat one properly or how it's soooooo wrong to eat one of those intestines with ketchup on top! Oh and to wash it down with Budweiser. I'm sure I'll catch crap for drinking the wrong beer that wasn't brewed in some cousins basement and aged for two years! Eat whatever you want and drink whatever you like. Hell, I eat Mac and Cheese and applesauce together. If you don't like it that's too damn bad! :)) In all seriousness, I'm down with ketchup!

OMG, Budweiser?!?!  Clearly, you don't know how to drink.  You're one of those RO guys.....amateur. ;)

Frozen Fest is all about sipping a max of 4 craft beers per day, savoring each little sip and bite of egged food.  Thought you knew.  :D

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    bud812 said:
    There is not enough ketchup in the world to make a tater tot edible.
    Tator tots are just deep fried hash browns in my house.  How can you not like that?