Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
Happy New Year Fellow Eggheads

I was very active with my XL BGE over the Holidays.  I noticed that the front of my Dome was not closing exactly on the bottom on my last cook and that my gasket in the front (where it was not lined up) seemed to be moist, burned and somewhat deteriorated. This BGE is relatively new I received it in September fro my birthday it was assembled by a dealer and I assumed it was correct. (probably a big mistake)  Something is not right with this gasket and the alignment and I am sure I can resolve this issue.  My question is if I have to replace the gasket is their HIGH temp options out there I was told that BBQ Guru has a High Temp Gasket for the BGE but I don't want to go away from original if I do not need to.  Any comments would be deeply appreciated. 

Happy New Year

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    you want to talk to RRP on here .
    Send him a message . He will get you the Rutland Gasket at cost .
    I just put that gasket on and its amazing . The BGE one is not very good .

I also got my Egg in September and went through 2 gaskets. Mine is still under warrenty but I decided not to bother putting the BGE one back on as it is unreliable .
    Apparently the Rutland Gasket I put on will last a life time
    Toronto
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Whatever you put on, make sure the gasket does not overhang the inside edge of either the base or the dome. Any gasket on the inside is fair game for the lump to burn up. The dome and base must be aligned correctly to ensure gasket longevity. 
    In my mind there are at least five choices:
    Felt BGE - basically a shipping protector for the dome and base, not a very good gasket at all. Not sure if you can even buy this anymore.
    High temp BGE: a slightly improved version of the Felt BGE, still not so good.
    After market Nomex: High-Q or others, some have used for 2-3 years with no issues. 
    Cotronics: requires an adhesive, but virtually indestructible. 
    Rutland: very durable, it is a wood stove gasket so will not burn out. Some are concerned with ferro-glass being used close to food, others are not. 

EDIT - @RRP for the Rutland (or any local stove store if you are in a hurry); @stlcharcoal if you want the food safe Cotronics
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    +1 for the Rutland gasket. You won't need another one. @RRP is awesome in handling his business. He will take care of you.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I am still debating on adding a Rutland or stay commando.  How hard is it to put on and how hard is it to screw it up?

One of the reasons I want a gasket again is for the probe wires.  Currently if I use a probe there is too much air gap between the base and lid so I go in through the top - this is a PITA when opening and closing the Egg.

Garnerville, NY
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I am still debating on adding a Rutland or stay commando.  How hard is it to put on and how hard is it to screw it up?

One of the reasons I want a gasket again is for the probe wires.  Currently if I use a probe there is too much air gap between the base and lid so I go in through the top - this is a PITA when opening and closing the Egg.
    It is not difficult to do and besides even if it took you an hour - WHICH IT WON'T - you won't need to replace it for years! One of my Rutlands is approaching 9 years old!

As for running your probe wire down the dome you are actually also running more risk of frying that probe wire IMHO!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,687
    Options

I like the Cotronics woven ceramic gasket flat tape.  It's flame/heat resistant to 1500F, and does not absorb moisture.  It's more expensive, but I've been running it on the bottom halves of my three BGE's for several years.

I've never tried/seen the Rutland, but I'm not a big believer in Nomex for that application.  I have Nomex flight suits, gloves, hoods, etc.  It's flame resistant--that's about it--it's not anything you want to put up against fire regularly. 

• robnybbq
    Options
    Do I have to wait until spring to out it on.  Will the glue stick in the cold?

Garnerville, NY
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Permatex will stick, but it may take a week to cure. Not sure about the 3M Super 77 spray. I've only ever used the Permatex and that was for automotive purposes, and always at around 50-60ºF, it cured overnight. I think the spec call for 70ºF/50%RH and wait a day. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    Options
    its 5 here now so I guess this is a spring project

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I was able to wheel my nested large into my laundry room in December and did it there. Just left it inside for 24 hours. Had to go up a single 9" step and almost dropped the egg. So if you do anything stupid like that, be careful... and call a friend!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pantsypants
    Options
    i just put mine on with permetex last week and I live in Toronto .
    I think it was -5 when i put it on and its seems great

I got everything ready  ( cleaned the egg and stripped the old gasket ) and then put the new one on.
    Then after an hour I  lit the egg and kept it at 200 for 8 hours .

I have cooked tons since doing this and it seems perfect !
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    Options
    also i was intimidated about putting the rutland on but it really was simple and RRP was beyond helpful as well with any questions I had before and during ,

Toronto
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Permatex will stick, but it may take a week to cure. Not sure about the 3M Super 77 spray. I've only ever used the Permatex and that was for automotive purposes, and always at around 50-60ºF, it cured overnight. I think the spec call for 70ºF/50%RH and wait a day. 
    I posed the curing question to the manufacturer of Permatex Ultra Copper and their technical reply was that yes you can apply it at temperatures between 20 and 30F though the ideal temperature is between 50 and 80F. Silicones such as Permatex are moisture cured so temperatures above and below these ranges remove that element. Curing occurs in 24 hours. If you are able to warm surfaces to at least the 40 to 50F range that will help for better bonding across the surfaces.

Please read what pantsypants posted above as for his solution.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dajogejr
    Options
    Get the Rutland from RRP.  Best thing you'll ever do.
    If all you want to do is low and slow cooks, stock gasket will do fine.
    But I use mine for high heat steak searing, and pizzas....LOTS of 500 to 600 degree pizza cooks.
    Stock gasket lasted a couple months.  Rutland has lasted me ever since (mid last year) and I cook on my egg, even in this dead of winter, 2-3 times a week.
    I'll keep it at 600 degrees for over an hour turning out pizzas...

I've purchased two other gasket from RRP since, one for my B in Law's Xl, one for my other B in law's XL Primo.

You won't be dissapointed.