Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Re: Counting Calories...

Hey folks,

I have started trying to watch what I eat and am looking for recipes that include the calories per serving, or at a minimum, maybe someone could suggest a way to calculate the calories in a dish. I am new to the dieting process and am very uneducated about these matters. 

I've been doing this for a week and have lost 2lbs so far eating out every night from the low calorie menus at restaurants. I love my BGE and cooked on it at least twice a week before, so I want to incorporate it into my plan.

Any info or resources you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
J
SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    All the best to you my man...... Yes you can cut calories with the egg, I just could not do it over 4 weeks.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    there are phone apps to help with calorie counting that you may find helpful. i dont count calories, ive been counting carbs and find after a while if i keep my carb count below 40 and eat mostly carbs from vegatables that i cannot eat enough to go over maybe 1800 calories a day so its just simpler to me to count carbs. i dont even count the veggie carbs, just carbs from labels, above 40 i gain, at 40 i pretty much stay the weight, hit 20 and im losing fast. down 50 pounds from the fall, just 10 to go
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    doing this now:

myfitnesspal on my android. killer app. lots of recipes from online recipe directories like skinnytaste, allrecipes, etc. stupid simple to scan barcodes. I have yet to find a food that was not in the app.

BodyMedia armband. I wear it on my upper arm and it keep track of my movement and calories burned.

BodyMedia info shows up in myfitness pal and visa versa.

6.2 lbs lost week one.

I lost 40+ pounds over 4 months this way a couple years back and kept it off. Tackling my last 30 the next 4 months.

100% helps to be doing the routine with the wife.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Thanks for the info guys.

My Fitness Pal is what got me started on this. That scanner is an amazing feature. I'll look into the BodyMedia band.

Thanks again!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Do you have a WOK? some of the oil needed will add calories, but I think this is a great way to eat lean meats and veggies with tons of options to keep things exciting.  The only tough part is to stay away from the sugar based sauces and marinades.

Remember, low calorie diet does not always equal weight loss.  It is all about "what kind" of calories you are eating.  The old concept of "burn more calories than you consume = weight loss"  is wrong.  Low sugar and low carbs is what I follow . . and the egg is great for this!  Check out this video if you have time about "calorie in, calorie out & sugar" . . .   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Forget the calories and cut out the carbs... easiest and tastiest way to lose weight. No grains, breads, refined sugars or flours, or starchy veggies...

Eat fresh meats, fish, and fowls along with lots of salad and fresh veggies, also eat fresh fruit and stop when you are full.

Google paleo or primal eating... and check out Mark's Daily Apple. I've been doing this since first week in Jan and I am down about 22 pounds.

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself, I follow the 80/20 rule :)
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

+1 to myfitnesspal

and yes, it is all a mass and energy balance

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    i've been calorie counting for about a year and half lost about 30 pounds gradually and kept it off.  i don't count as tight as i used to but i know what i eat and if i don't know something i check it out before so.  if i have a big lunch it is a small dinner, once you get used to it, things are super easy.  
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Your on to something with he carb thing. Our daughter (8) is a little overweight but here blood numbers are as bad as mine high triglycerides. We saw a nutritionist this week and she put her on a lower carb plan. Basically 11 items of carbs between 15-22 grams throughout the day. This way if she wants a cookie for desert she has to budget her bread/potato/snacks. A single piece of bread counts as 1 point for example. Vegetables do not count yet.

I may try this myself soon.

Garnerville, NY
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Fresh veggies, especially those with higher fiber are great. The fiber basically cancels out any carbs...

Its all of the refined crap that is most of the problem. Even the diet stuff can mess you up, especially the sweeteners in diet sodas. Does something to the brain chem that messes up your appetite center and hunger control. I still drink the diet ice tea and coke zero, not as much as before, but that's part of my 80/20 compromise...

The more natural you can eat the better... just like manufacturing (generally speaking) the more times you touch a product, you are mostly adding costs, not value. Same with food; the less it's handled or manipulated before we consume it the better off we are
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    it has previously been mentioned, but MY Fitness pal is great. it helped me loose over 80lbs since last july. 

2lbs a week is safe and can be done! keep up the good work and before you know all your friends will be asking if you are lossing weight and telling you you look great.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

robnybbq said:
    Your on to something with he carb thing. Our daughter (8) is a little overweight but here blood numbers are as bad as mine high triglycerides. We saw a nutritionist this week and she put her on a lower carb plan. Basically 11 items of carbs between 15-22 grams throughout the day. This way if she wants a cookie for desert she has to budget her bread/potato/snacks. A single piece of bread counts as 1 point for example. Vegetables do not count yet. I may try this myself soon.
    This is also known as Weight Watchers, in a way. The point system gives a tangible way to realize goals(Losing 20 lbs can take months, " I only ate 40 points this week" happens much faster) quickly. The most processed foods are the highest points. It also helps people make better food decisions. She can realize that she doesn't need a cookie for that sweet fix, an apple can work just as well. That way she can still have bread at lunch. It would greatly benefit her for you to do it too. You are her #1 role model. Good luck.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I like Hap's point about raw veggies, cooked veggies are easier to digest (uses less calories to process them through the gut). Raw veggies will make you feel fuller and will actually use more calories to digest, a win win! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • trup0241
    trup0241 Posts: 35
    Mkline said:
    it has previously been mentioned, but MY Fitness pal is great. it helped me loose over 80lbs since last july. 

2lbs a week is safe and can be done! keep up the good work and before you know all your friends will be asking if you are lossing weight and telling you you look great.  
    Nice Job @Mkline!  I too have been using myfitnesspal, since September I am down about 66 lbs.  You can build your recipes too, which makes it easier to track.  The important thing is portion control and realizing what a normal size portion is.  
    Pittsburgh, PA
  • I have used MyFitnessPal and Fitbit.  I like Fitbit more because it calculates calories burned for about any activity.  I have lost 70+ lbs. in the last two years counting calories and trying to burn off more than I consume.  Good luck!
  • Cooking Light Magazine and .com are fantastic for building recipes where you will know all the calories and stats. The food is outstanding and it will make you a better cook just reading it. I highly recommend subscribing to Cooking Light if you are wanting to learn how many calories are in your food and how to cook very high end food that is good for you. We have used it for years and some of the recipes have been in our repertoire that long. Half the time I don't even know that's where they came from. 

I use livestrong.com to track calories in and the Body Media FIT armband to track calories out (these are what they use on Biggest Loser- they are pretty cool with a few limitations)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Haws72688
    Haws72688 Posts: 41
    MyfitnessPal recommendation from me as well.

I use it at least once a week now still, even though I keep a mental total daily of what I've consumed vs. what I've burned.

It does work as long as you can stick with it and avoid temptation.

An exercise bike ,Schwinn Airdyne, has also been what's helped me. 12-15 miles 5-6 days a week for the last 5 months.

I hit a grand total of 101.1 lbs lost since Thanksgiving yesterday morning.  Don't even look like the same person I was (thankfully!)

If you want it enough, you'll get through it.
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Haws72688... your weight loss is amazing. I couldn't agree with your last sentence more!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Before with my puppy, this time last year:

This was last month when I was in the 90ish lbs lost range.

Grand Rapids, MI
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    @Haws72688... I almost didn't recognize you with the glasses!  :)

Again... outstanding!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Thanks!
    Grand Rapids, MI
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    hapster said:
    Forget the calories and cut out the carbs... easiest and tastiest way to lose weight. No grains, breads, refined sugars or flours, or starchy veggies...

Eat fresh meats, fish, and fowls along with lots of salad and fresh veggies, also eat fresh fruit and stop when you are full.

Google paleo or primal eating... and check out Mark's Daily Apple. I've been doing this since first week in Jan and I am down about 22 pounds.

Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself, I follow the 80/20 rule :)
    Totally agree!! Same thing I'm doing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• R3K
    R3K Posts: 52

As someone already mentioned, one of the biggest things to be mindful of is portion control.  It's extremely difficult to eat "clean" all the time, but as long as you monitor your portions, and of course moderate the "bad" stuff, you can ALMOST eat whatever you want. 

I read somewhere that it takes the body about 20 minutes after eating to realize that it's happy and doesn't need more food.  This is why you shouldn't eat until you feel full...after that 20 minutes has passed, you suddenly realize that you've over done it big time.  Also watch out for too much salt in your diet.  Salt causes your body to hold water, which gives you a flat or smooth look.  I think Mrs. Dash has some great seasoning that is salt free. 

I'm blessed with an extremely fast metabolism, so I can get away with murder, but I still try to eat right, and exercise 1-2 times a day because I'm crazy that way, but more importanly, I want to set a positive example for my little girls. 

Those that have achieved their weight loss goals, I commend you, and for those that are still on their journey, just keep your eye on the prize.  The feeling of achievement will be amazing and will make you want to go further!

• Drewdlc17
    Drewdlc17 Posts: 124
    Here is a good guide to follow. I am a certified personal trainer and studied nutrition. I wrote this to let people know it's ok to eat and enjoy food but also lose weight and stay healthy.

Everyone has a different philosophy on how to diet. In fact I do not believe in diets. I think that diets are fads that people dive into to try and lose a few pounds. Typically the diet they are following will help them shed a few pounds but doesn’t necessarily improve their health. Half of the diets are plan BS! So, don’t look at this like you are on a diet!
    As I mentioned to you I believe that it is still important to have a good meal, and enjoy a beer or two or 10 beers if you would like. I know you like you Jelly Beans and that’s ok too. However, it’s important that you limit yourself on the things that are bad for you. If you can limit your Sugar, Fat, and Carbohydrates intake you will be off to a good start.

Keys to a Healthier diet

1. Eat approximately every 3 hours.
    For Example: ​7:00 am Breakfast
    ​10:00 Snack/Shake
    ​12:30 Lunch
    ​3:30 Snack/Shake
    ​7:00 Dinner
    Eating often will help do a few things. 1) It will help with your craving for junk food. 2) Boost you Metabolism.

2. Do not eat late a night before bed. If you do need to eat drink a protein shake. Casein protein is the best type of protein to take at night if you want to get technical.
    3. Stay away from Complex Carbohydrates during dinner. Carbohydrates are you body’s main source of energy. Your body breaks down Carbs to use for every day activities. Unfortunately, extra carbs are stored as fat to use for energy later on. This means if you are eating Carbs and going to bed your body processed the carbs and sends them straight to storage.
    4. Cut Back on Carbohydrates. Carbohydrates from foods are the main fuel that feed your body. Carbs are great but most people eat too many Carbs through ought the day. Healthy Carbs such as oats (oatmeal, healthy cereal) are a great start to your day because they provide the energy your body will need during the day. Lunch is another time to get your carbs in but don’t intake to much.
    5. Eat Healthy Carbohydrates. Simple Carbs are better than Complex Carbs. Simple carbs are fruits, and non starchy vegetables. Complex carbs are Bread, Potatoes, Cereal, and Pasta. Sweet Potatoes are awesome because they act as comples carbs but breakdown like Simple carbs
    6. Get you Protein In. Its important to get your protein in but not as much if you are not working out. Let me know when you get ready to start a program.
    7. Get your fiber. Its important that you eat plenty of fiber. Salads and other greens are a great source of fiber. Don’t use to much dressing or use a healthy dressing.
    8. Stay away from Fast Food! Its all **** for you. If you must eat it look at the nutritional value and pick the best thing.
    9. No Soda! Terrible for you! Drink water, un-sweet tea, green tea.

Breakfast
    I guess its true that this is the most important meal of the day. Its also important to kick start you body in the morning with some water. It is said that a big glass of water in the morning will help kick start you organs. I believe that coffee is ok but don’t be excessive with it. Here are some examples of a healthy breakfast.
    Oatmeal
    Whole Grain Cereal
    Eggs ( FYI, eat the entire egg unless your worried about you cholesterol. The egg yolk is very high in cholesterol but unless you are body building and eating 50 eggs a day, or have a cholesterol problem I don’t think its worth dividing from the whites.)
    Fruit

Snacks
    Remember this is a snack not a meal. Limit you portions. A handful or two of nuts or a piece of fruit is about the right amount. Here are some healthy snacks.

Almonds or other nuts
    Boiled eggs
    Chicken breast
    Protein bar
    Protein Shake
    Fruit (apple, orange, kiwi, plum, peach, nectarine.)
    Vegetable (broccoli and carrots in light ranch, salad, celery with peanut butter)
    Tuna
    Meal Replacement Shake
    Granola
    Trail mix

Lunch
    Now is the time to get some Complex Carbs in. I like to eat a cup of pasta with Italian seasoning and a little olive oil and a meat. Salads are good for lunch as well. Or some chicken, steak, lean pork, turkey with some vegetables.
    Grilled/Baked- Fish, Chicken, Turkey, Pork
    Grilled Steak
    Lean Ground Beef
    Salad
    Rice
    Pasta
    Sweet Potato
    Sandwich
    Green Beans
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower

Dinner
    Watch you portions again. Try not to go back for seconds unless you really need to. I typically stick to a meat and a side vegetable. Stay away from bread and pasta. I sometimes will have rice, sweet potato, potato, or corn.
    Grilled/Baked- Fish, Chicken, Turkey, Pork

Grilled Steak
    Lean Ground Beef
    Salad
    Green Beans
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower

• R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    Great Info Drewdlc!  I can't tell you how many times I've basically said those exact words to people looking to get started.  It amazes me that 99% of people don't realize the importance of diet when trying to get in shape, so while their focus is on starting an exercise program, they cringe when I tell them they also need to change their diet.  And telling someone, especially women, that they need to eat MORE in order to lose weight just blows their mind!  They're disappointed when I tell them that I don't mean they should eat more pizza or McDonalds, but healthy options more often throughout the day.  But when someone actually gets it, and applies the methods, it is an awesome feeling to see them achieve their goals, and the look of disbelief on their faces when they see that thinner/healthier person beginning to emerge is priceless.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I just downloaded a book from the library called "Why We Get Fat". Good read.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have lost 35 lbs in the last 2.5 months using the My Fitness Pal app on my Iphone as well as www.advocare.com/13051393 products.

I have cooked on the egg the whole time.  The app and Advocare products have helped me keep my calories down through the day/week, and I have been able to cook what I like on the egg in the evenings for dinner.  Especially on the weekends.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I have been doing Weight Watchers for years, this isn't a "low carb" lifestyle, it's a "right carb" lifestyle.  I am a wellness therapist and I do nutrition as part of my professional career.  Your body NEEDS carbs to prolong insulin response and help your brain and endocrine system produce vital hormones and energy!  It's all about the right carbs! Avoid refined carbs (processed) and white sugars.  Go for whole grains and natural sugars (honey, agave, stevia) ...My fitness pal is a great guide and as a rule, round, leg, and loin cuts of meat are about 50 calories per ounce, as long as all visible fat is trimmed. Hope you are succeeding!  :D
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!