Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best place to get a cast iron skillet and what do you recommend?

I see a lot of people cooking on cast iron skillets.  Where is the best place to get them and what sizes and types do you recommend?
What is your favorite thing to cook in them?

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

If you've got Marshall's / TJ Maxx / Home Goods (I think they are all one company), check with them for the Lodge pieces.  I've been fortunate, finding a few items at half off.

• cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135
    Thanks for the suggestions guys.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Sometimes, you can get a fantastic deal at a railroad salvage/Army surplus store, if you have one nearby.  Good luck!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Go on eBay or Craigslist in your area and look for a Griswold #8. Its 10.5" so not huge but its the only Griswold that is decent size and not gonna cost $100. The lodge are poor quality compared to older cast iron where they grinded the cooking surface. You should be able to pick up a #8 in good condition for under $50. I use mine for all sorts of thinks but pizzas and cornbread are 2 of my favorites. Even cheaper older cast iron but still much better quality than lodge is Wagner ware. Its still ground smooth and I picked up 3 on Craigslist for $20 each.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Lit said:

Go on eBay or Craigslist in your area and look for a Griswold #8. Its 10.5" so not huge but its the only Griswold that is decent size and not gonna cost $100. The lodge are poor quality compared to older cast iron where they grinded the cooking surface. You should be able to pick up a #8 in good condition for under $50. I use mine for all sorts of thinks but pizzas and cornbread are 2 of my favorites. Even cheaper older cast iron but still much better quality than lodge is Wagner ware. Its still ground smooth and I picked up 3 on Craigslist for $20 each.

Good to know @Lit. I personally like my Lodge, but haven't tried a Griswold family skillet.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Lit said:
    You will also see them sold under the name Erie. My cornbread stick pans are Erie. Check your local antique stores. May be able to find a gem at a decent price. Or perhaps extremely overpriced...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Lit
    The Erie pans are usually pretty expensive as they are the older ones pre Griswold but if you can find a deal on one get it. Watch out for pitting or basically corosion that creates dimples in the cooking surface. The cooking surface will be smooth as glass on nice ones.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If you want to go old school look for ones that need refinishing. You can typically get a good deal in exchange for some elbow grease.
    Just make sure it only has surface rust and no pitting. If you see "Erie", it is Griswold that's at least 100 years old(up until 1909 it was named after the town it was forged in). Amazing quality. Wagner is similar (machined CI) for cheaper usually. Griswold is worth more as a collectable. I have all 3 mentioned and the newer Lodge cannot compare to the old stuff, though it is still good quality.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Check out thrift stores and flea markets for some old griswold or Wagner. My buddy has found probably 20 pieces for under $40 over the course of a few weeks. Craigslist and pawn shops too. I second those that posted the better quality in the older stuff. Don't be afraid of what they look like, they could be caked with nasty junk, rusty looking but aren't too difficult to clean up. The dirtier the cheaper. Just make sure they aren't pitted, and put them on a flat surface and try to spin it to see if it's level. If it doesn't spin then it's level.
    Dunedin, FL
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I use Lodge and Wagner.  Griswold too hard to find.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Eggcelsior
    tnbarbq said:

Ebay is your friend. I snagged 3 pieces that way.
  • Eggcelsior
    tnbarbq said:

Ebay is your friend. I snagged 3 pieces that way.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    If you're in Georgia, there's a Lodge Outlet Store at the Tanger Outlet Center in Commerce north of Athens. Great deals there. My wife picked up a Dutch oven for me for $24, and it only has a slight chip in the lid, a hair bigger than a pencil tip.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Lit said:
    Perhaps this is a stupid question but how do you cook with something like the Griswold #8 with a handle and have the top down on the egg?
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited March 2013

Here is a great little Dutch Oven that has a lid that doubles as a round skillet...perfect for the BGE.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8DD3-Casserole-Skillet-5-Quart/dp/B000LEXR0K/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362464050&sr=8-3&keywords=5+qt+dutch+oven

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER thanks for posting that!

I almost bought the 9 ¼" lodge skillet to fit on my small but this would be more useful and a little bigger. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Smitty, thanks for posting that link! That is exactly what I have been looking for. Sold!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    @YouEnjoy...if you have an XL, it will easily fit inside.
  • Lit
    The handles aren't that long. I have put my #10 Griswold in a large before which is like a 12" diameter.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    The best places I know are Lodge Outlet stores and Academy Sports. Also, sometimes you can find nice, unabused pieces at yard sales.

Tim
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    +1 on the lodge outlet stores. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I picked up about a half dozen pieces at the lodge outlet in pigeon forge and have enjoyed them all so far.  Cornbread, mac'n cheese, and bbq baked beans all on the egg.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• You might try Goodwill and re-sell shops for used pieces, but if you buy new, Lodge is all I would consider, and Amazon has good prices.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • YEMTrey said:
    I picked up about a half dozen pieces at the lodge outlet in pigeon forge and have enjoyed them all so far.  Cornbread, mac'n cheese, and bbq baked beans all on the egg.

+1 but I'm a few pieces behind you.

In the skillet my favorite is pan pizza, in the dutch oven my favorite is chili (with beans of course).

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'm dying to do a pan pizza in my cast iron skillet.  However, I'm not too confident with making my own dough.  Just gotta jump in and give it a try.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    No doubt that CI cookware purchased by someone who knows what they are looking for is easy at Goodwill and on line, but for many who did not grow up with CI, it can spell disaster. For <$20 you can get a good quality pan with a lifetime warranty at Bed Bath and Beyond. 
    There are others, like Lodge sold by reputable stores. I use CI for deep dish pizza and not much else. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    No doubt that CI cookware purchased by someone who knows what they are looking for is easy at Goodwill and on line, but for many who did not grow up with CI, it can spell disaster. For <$20 you can get a good quality pan with a lifetime warranty at Bed Bath and Beyond. 
    There are others, like Lodge sold by reputable stores. I use CI for deep dish pizza and not much else. 

It's made in China, which may or may not be a bad thing. I have one of these and I hope I cooked out all the Chinese lead out of it by now.
    Dunedin, FL
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Lodge doesn't mean bad. If taken care of and seasoned it is fine to use. I used a cheap non name cast iron made in Korea. It's 1/2 the weight of a lodge I own same size. That is poor quality. I would say lodge nice middle of line. But griswold, Erie, Wagner are more high end/quality piece that someone's great grandparents used and you're great grand kids can use.
    Lodge is lowest quality I would use but I use and its seasoned near perfect and works great. Like said, solid mid range piece. But financially I'm at a diff place than prior and patience I'm at a diff place so I will wait for one of the big 3 named above going forward.
    Boom
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Wal-Mart. For my DO and 10" skillet there. I didn't feel like searching the globe when wallu world was a 3 minute drive
    Mark Annville, PA