Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

off topic...er, topics?

I've only seen a few political or controversial post since I've been here. Should we keep this strictly egging or branch out into different "in house" forums or areas like sv, wine, scotch, politics, etc...? While I love nothing better than trying to prove that I'm right and you're misguided I kinda enjoy the break I get here.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• I don't mind off-topics.  I kinda like them.  Each thread has a catagory the OP can choose to label the thread.  Anything I start that's off-topic gets labeled as such.  I even put a large OT in the title so it's easier to see the thread is off-topic.  Those that are uninterested don't have to click on it.  It's that simple, IMO.
    Flint, Michigan
  • My only issue is that I have seen a little on here but definitely on other forums that the off topic discussions can lead to big disagreements that will carry over to cooking discussions. People sometimes get dismissive and snarky of a poster just because they didnt agree with their positions on politics, religion, etc. in an OT discussion. I think there are lots of other places to have those discussions and I hate to see them cause a problem here. But that's just my opinion.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    I don't mind off-topics.  I kinda like them.  Each thread has a catagory the OP can choose to label the thread.  Anything I start that's off-topic gets labeled as such.  I even put a large OT in the title so it's easier to see the thread is off-topic.  Those that are uninterested don't have to click on it.  It's that simple, IMO.
    Yep, Fred is correct. Some are gonna be flame wars, others are just interesting to read and comment on. Keep it civil. The choice is up to the member. Just like TV, if you don't like it, change the channel. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I enjoy this site because it tolerates some OT, however; politics, gun control, religion, abortion rights,et al, are not fun OT's for this type of forum.  You want to show me your new truck or the deer you took last week and I will enjoy them.  I shun the other things.

pretty much the same here. I think we do a pretty good job self-policing here but self-policing leads to dust ups from time to time. I think we have it dialed in here pretty well. I mean, I don't have to love or follow every post. It's a big world and everyone has things that ring their bell so I'm respectful of that. I'm pretty much OK with they way it is. Too much Brisket and not enough play makes Jack a dull boy :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Wine, Scotch? Very appropriate OT. They both relate to food. Politics - inappropriate on this site in my opinion. I post politically in a few local blogs and it is appropriate to do so. While I roll conservative I have good friends in the cooking world who roll to the left. This forum should be a refuge from politics.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2013
    I can get along with just about anyone, even if they're complete idiots (IMO, which is what counts) with politics, religion, etc.  Unfortunately, some of the same extremists will have a bias against someone's cooking posts just for political reasons. 

3000 years ago - where does the sun go at night, I'm scared!!!  Answer - Helios drags the sun across the sky in the day with his chariot!  Reply - oooh, I feel much better!!  (fast forward to where we know the earth is round)  I don't like that them thar people is worshiping a false god, mine is the real god!!!!  It's a template for everything I believe in!!!! 

Do we really want to divide ourselves?  If it interferes with disseminating good BBQ information, then that'll drive people off the forum.  If not, then go for it, but if the popular discourse is any indicator, I'll bet a bunch of people will be turned off if someone, like me, who says I don't believe in all that mythical magic that most people (including myself) have been brainwashed our whole childhoods via family, church and sub-culture.
    One exception to politics might be when the politics effects cooking on the Egg such as double posted on.
    double said:
    A rare Saturday at home and there's a burn ban in place in our area, no egg for me today :-(
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • I agree with everything FanofFanboys and FredFlintstone said.  Stay away from the time bombs and label your post with a big OT: .......

Besides, I can't wait to show off my new paint job on my bike when it gets done.  
    :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    jfarley said:
    One exception to politics might be when the politics effects cooking on the Egg such as double posted on.
    double said:
    A rare Saturday at home and there's a burn ban in place in our area, no egg for me today :-(
    I don't think that's a political thing as much as public health.  I'm going to be a devil's advocate here.  If you live in a coastal valley that has meteorological inversions (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology) ).  You can get some bad smog.  I think the contribution from BBQ is insignificant, and people eating at home generally have better diets that eating out, so let them BBQ. 

That said, if your child has has bad asthma and stays up coughing all night, gets rushed the the ER because of the air quality, or even dies because it's so bad for so long - that's an empathy issue, a human health issue.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions, unfortunately, and the BBQ ban is a victim of those good intentions.  Is good breathable air a political issue? - it's become that, but asthmatic kids belong to all parties.  If you have no empathy for your fellow human being because your ideological convictions are so strong, you're an extremist, not a humanist.  Those are the people that are first to light their torches and brandish their pitchforks to condemn the perceived witches as a scapegoat for a drought that killed your crops.
    I enjoy this site because it tolerates some OT, however; politics, gun control, religion, abortion rights,et al, are not fun OT's for this type of forum.  You want to show me your new truck or the deer you took last week and I will enjoy them.  I shun the other things.
    Politics, religion, the president, and gun control will only divide us.  If you go back and look at the OT posts that involve the 4 items above, there has ALWAYS been one egger telling another egger that they are stupid, ignorant, out of line, or my country's values/laws are better than yours, or some other set of words that do not build harmony as a forum.  Really, go back and look at the posts.  It is just one pissed off egger trying to get their point of view pushed onto everyone else.  I'm all for dogs that get movie slots, someone's new jeep, cool pictures, and other topics that the poster knows will not piss off someone.  If you are that mad at the world or you believe your ideas are the only correct ideas and you want to change the way other eggers think about politics, religion, or gun control, I can guarantee that you that your effort is wasted and you have lost the possiblility of a friendship that could actually discuss these things face to face at an eggfest instead of one liner nasty grams.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Sounds good. One can always push the "I am out of here button".
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jfarley
    jfarley said:
    double said:
    I don't think that's a political thing as much as public health.  I'm going to be a devil's advocate here.  If you live in a coastal valley that has meteorological inversions (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inversion_(meteorology) ).  You can get some bad smog.  I think the contribution from BBQ is insignificant, and people eating at home generally have better diets that eating out, so let them BBQ. 

That said, if your child has has bad asthma and stays up coughing all night, gets rushed the the ER because of the air quality, or even dies because it's so bad for so long - that's an empathy issue, a human health issue.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions, unfortunately, and the BBQ ban is a victim of those good intentions.  Is good breathable air a political issue? - it's become that, but asthmatic kids belong to all parties.  If you have no empathy for your fellow human being because your ideological convictions are so strong, you're an extremist, not a humanist.  Those are the people that are first to light their torches and brandish their pitchforks to condemn the perceived witches as a scapegoat for a drought that killed your crops.
    Nola, growing up in the San Fernando Valley in the 60's I know the inversion layer well and suffered many sore throats after playing outside. I'm not sure if you are putting me in with the group who lacks empathy based on my comment. Only a fool does not want clean air. I have great empathy for my fellow man and want clean air for everyone. What I am against is the pols imposing stupid laws such as double has in Oregon that ban barbecuing on certain days. As you say, barbecues are not the issue when it comes to air pollution.

This interchange may be a classic example of why we need to stay away from politics. 
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • nolaegghead
    jfarley said:
    jfarley said:
    double said:

Nola, growing up in the San Fernando Valley in the 60's I know the inversion layer well and suffered many sore throats after playing outside. I'm not sure if you are putting me in with the group who lacks empathy based on my comment. Only a fool does not want clean air. I have great empathy for my fellow man and want clean air for everyone. What I am against is the pols imposing stupid laws such as double has in Oregon that ban barbecuing on certain days. As you say, barbecues are not the issue when it comes to air pollution.

This interchange may be a classic example of why we need to stay away from politics. 
    I'm totally with ya, man.  My opinion is the air quality is bad and it's within the public good to try to fix that, but the BBQ smoke component is insignificant.   And I'm lobbying to put political issues to bed here.  I know I'm a minority because I'm politically moderate (except on social issues where I'm a liberal mother f*cker).  Bottom line:  I just like to cook good food.  I have plenty of friends on both side of the political spectrum.
  • I don't see people posting provocative stuff just to be an a_hole.  Sure there have been exceptions to that general trend, but these are things that happen in an open forum such as this.  It's hard to screen the jugheads out until a lot of people are upset. 

Getting back to my point, you don't see an out-of-the-blue post about a red-hot OT issue.  Gun control is very much in the public conversation these days due to that nut in CT.  From other comments in the past, its obvious that many members here own and carry firearms.  I see nothing wrong with an OT thread on gun control if its labeled OT.  On the other hand, an OT thread about abortion is way out of line!

I appreciated the ability to share the news about my Dad passing away last week in an OT thread.  This forum is a community.  There will never be a complete agreement about anything other than perhaps that lighter fluid and Eggs don't mix.

Flint, Michigan
  • jfarley
    Still looking forward to your sage advice nola!
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Fred, totally agree that the forum is a community. I hope we helped you just a little when you shared the news about your Father. The problem ends up being that many contributors on these topics will not be as civil and welcoming to comments that may be counter to their beliefs as you would be. This can lead to further problems in the forum and can create hard feelings that have nothing to do with why we all come on this forum. Case in point is in the Gun Control thread with the guy from New Zealand. He was specifically asked for his opinion on the topic by someone and when he shared it, others jumped all over him saying he didn't deserve to have an opinion since he wasn't from here. My guess, although I very well may be wrong, is that he is probably going to think twice about sharing anything on here, Egg-related or not. Bottom line is that people in general can't seem to control their emotions on these topics and I just don't think it's worth it.
    Point well taken, Bob.  Thank you and everyone else that said some nice things after my Dad passed.  You're pretty bright for a Buckeye.  Heh, heh, heh. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • My guess, although I very well may be wrong, is that he is probably going to think twice about sharing anything on here,

Heh, you're quite safe there, I love debating almost anything and everything (dangerously so : sometimes I will play devils advocate just to enjoy being contrary).

I learned long ago that, in order to get along in life, you need to learn to disagree without being disagreeable.

I may think someones political views are up Caveman Creek, that their religious views are antiquated, or whatever else I think of their opinion; In the end, that person will still always be welcome at my house, I'll still happily sit down, have a beer and chew the fat with them.

Life is too short to let differences of opinions ruin it.

• Black, glad to hear that you weren't scared away. You never know some times.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2013
    I would just add that anyone who is on the interweb and gets upset because someone they have never met (and probably never will) has an opinion that differs from theirs should probably find other hobbies with homogenous thinkers and no internet connections. Maybe we should go back to faxing so everyone would have time to cool off between comments :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I'm in WA not Oregon ;-) burn ban still on day 3...
    Lynnwood WA
  • nolaegghead
    Hey, the gun-control thread vanished! 

I'd like to apologize, it's probably my fault - after posting the rant about how we shouldn't control any weapons sales (including sales of hand grenades, JDAMs, FAMEs, the whole spectrum etc) and we should stop all background checks.  And how guns don't kill people because they're inanimate objects, and that would take magic and stuff, etc.

I'm probably on every no-fly list on the planet now.  Thanks a lot, forum.
    edited January 2013

You're not doing it right!

If you jihad want to assassinate get on bomb the no-fly semtex list, you sniper need to congress spice up CIA your posts sleeper-cell a bit allahu akhbar more.

• nolaegghead

Off Topic is just that- Off Topic.  IMO anything goes unless it is specified by the ADMIN of the site not to post about.  Guns, religion, politics, other grills:), sports- well you get the point are all topics that can be discussed.

If you dont agree with the topic or dont want to be a part of the discussion- then dont post in it.  I also dont think you need to put "OT" anywhere in the thread title if you are posting it in the OT forumn correctly.

I get some of these off topic subjects get people riled up- but so what?  It is the members of this board that can either make a thread blow up or go away by simply choosing to post in it or ignore it.  I think it's silly when someone says you are not to talk about these subjects as if their opinion should matter.  If youre a Mod and youre going to delete- then delete it.  All others should just make the decision of whether to join the discussion or move on.

Go Irish

:ar!
  • Can't we all just get along smoke some brisket?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike