Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egger in Baton Rouge

Name is Scott and I got a large egg and table for Christmas. Finally got it all put together and I'm as giddy as a fat boy in a lunch line to fire her up. Gonna do some boudin, ribs and a drunk chicken today and plan on doing a big chunk of pig this weekend. i've learned a lot from lurking here the last few days...but I'm sure I'll have questions galore as I go. Here's to a happy new year with lots of good eatin'!
Baton Rouge, LA

Comments

• Welcome CC.  Looking forward to some good Cajun recipes from Red Stick.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Welcome aboard-nice set-up.  Plenty willing to help around here if you have questions.  Happy New Year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Welcome aboard !!! Nice Rig
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • erblove
    erblove Posts: 97
    Welcome...I'm another newbie...but have already gotten help with all my questions today. Happy Egging...and Happy New Year!
    Columbia, SC ~ LBGE, ThermaPen
    I love to eat...sue me!
  • Welcome, Happy Eating !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great gift, enjoy it. Welcome. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Welcome aboard. Looking forward to some pics!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • rabdogg
    rabdogg Posts: 43
    Welcome! You will no doubt learn a lot here.
    Green Eggin' in Lafayette, Louisiana
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Awesome, born and raised in BR, live in Plano, TX. Welcome. What kind of thermos are those on your table?
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Welcome! and Happy New Year! 

I hope that you enjoy your EGG as much as my family does. Never knew what BBQ is until I got mine (SoCal raised, we grill and call it BBQ).
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome to the club, Scott!  Looks like Santa was good to you this year. 

Can you tell me while Miles throws it on 2nd and 3d downs with three yards to go and less than three minutes left in the game?  Figured, since ya live in red stick, you might have an explanation.  It's driving me nuts. Same deal with the 'Bama game earlier this year.  I'm depressed.
  • Nola........I really don't know why, but I just don't like the way Miles looks.  There is something that is not just right about that guy.  He seems like he is wound WAY too tight.  And I always root for LSU so no flame throwers PLEASE!
  • nolaegghead
    Sometimes I think the grass he eats ain't from the field..... :D

Still, Die hard LSU fan here - through thick and thin.
  • Thank y'all kindly for the warm welcome. Plano those are the BGE dual probe remote thermos and they seem to work pretty good. I kind of wish she had passed on those as I see a guru in my future.  Nola, I've given up trying to figure that man out and am depressed as well. Burgers and boudin turned out great...can't wait till this weekend to get my lo' and slo' on ;)
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • man, are they running BGE ads in the Coon As* Gazette or something? Seems like every time I turn around a new cajun gets an egg. :)) Seriously though, welcome aboard. Look over your fence, I bet your neighbor has on too!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    I'm glad the Coon Ass nation is getting eggs.  Cajun and Creole food needs to represent.  I thought I was the only one for a long time. That's changing.  I've even seen an egg on the NOLA craigs list (first time in like, a year).  Welcome LA eggers!

Baton Rouge, LA
  • I'm glad the Coon Ass nation is getting eggs.  Cajun and Creole food needs to represent.  I thought I was the only one for a long time. That's changing.  I've even seen an egg on the NOLA craigs list (first time in like, a year).  Welcome LA eggers!
    For all the good food we got down here...good BBQ is rare. Frenchmen just can't seem to burn meat over coals...
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • nolaegghead
    I got 12 pounds of Duroc bacon smokin', just finished cold smoking for a while, now I'm hot smoking....just cold smoked a ham I cured.  Gonna throw that in the sous vide bath in a few minutes.  Love cooking, love eating, love LSU, Saints and the culture down here.  WHO DAT!
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Who Dat!! , We Dat!!! , Egg Dat!!! It's all about having a good time and living life to its fullest!!!! That's why the BGE and Coon Asses GEAUX so well together !!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • nolaegghead
    I kayak fish the salt and was wondering if you had tried smoking any fish. I know they smoke spanish mackarel in Florida and I can catch those beau coup in the summertime. 
    I've smoked a bunch of various salmon and steelhead trout, but no local fish.  I'd like to try curing and smoking some mackerel.  Maybe some mullet too.
    I talked to some locals in Pensacola last month when we were at Ft. Pickens and they seemed to think our mullet would be funky cause of the marsh mud...but I'll pass up specks to get channel mullet...gonna have to sort it out.
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • nolaegghead
    I've head the same, but I still see mullet sold around here, maybe they're imported from Florida.   Worth a shot.
    edited January 2013
    Nola........I really don't know why, but I just don't like the way Miles looks.  There is something that is not just right about that guy.  He seems like he is wound WAY too tight.  And I always root for LSU so no flame throwers PLEASE!
    Les Miles. Assistant coach under one of the greatest, Bo Schembechler. Michigan Man. I sent him a email begging him to come back home. Asked if he missed the snow. Evidently he hasn't. Hoke isn't too bad for Michigan though. Les is a great fit for LSU
  • Florida Black Mullet is what your after. This summer I can get you all the spanish you want in Caminada Pass...and you're on my way home ;)
    Baton Rouge, LA
  • nolaegghead
    Florida Black Mullet is what your after. This summer I can get you all the spanish you want in Caminada Pass...and you're on my way home ;)
    If you ever want to give it a shot, drop off whatever and I'll cure and smoke it, and I'll split it with ya.  I cure and cold smoke or just not cure and hot smoke.  Depends on what it is.  I have a cold smoker where I can cold smoke around 60F even in the hot Louisiana summers.
    nope. Sadly.  I'll call again tomorrow. 
    The only thing cajuns love more than eatin' is cookin' :)

Got that right, and drinkin, specially when you got Les Miles to watch every week.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Nola........I really don't know why, but I just don't like the way Miles looks.  There is something that is not just right about that guy.  He seems like he is wound WAY too tight.  And I always root for LSU so no flame throwers PLEASE!
    Les Miles. Assistant coach under one of the greatest, Bo Schembechler. Michigan Man. I sent him a email begging him to come back home. Asked if he missed the snow. Evidently he hasn't. Hoke isn't too bad for Michigan though. Les is a great fit for LSU
    Tell him the snow has 5 mil buried in it and take him, I cant stand another year of 3 up the middle and a cloud of dust