Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Left handed brisket???

Any one heard of this? Supposedly the brisket from the left side of the steer is more tender. Most steers rest on their left side. When a steer gets up it has to use the brisket muscles on the right side more than the left to push itself up. This extra workout on the right side makes it tougher (and not as tasty) as the brisket on the left. So how do you tell if a brisket is left-handed? Take a packer brisket and lay it fat side down with the narrow point end facing you. If the curve on the point end curves right you have a left-handed brisket.

Comments

• Funny. I just read that today.
    Boom
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I read it on 'The Weekend Chef', Steve Wilson. Never heard it before.
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Yes, I've heard that but my memory stinks & when I get to the meat section I can never remember how to distinguish a lefty from a righty!

Here's an old post on the topic: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/393103/brisket-question how to distinguish a lefty from a righty!

Scroll down to Thirdeye's post with a nice pic showing the Lefty & Righty.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Thanks R2. I guess I'll look for a lefty for this weeks brisket.
  • total bs. I sleep on my left side every night. I don't have one giant pec (cuz they are BOTH giant) and one small one because I use one more that the other to get out of bed (brisket muscles are essentially the pectorals on a cow). This is coming from people with too much time on their hands. I promise you, not one competition has been won, not one meal has been better than another because of using lefty briskets. why not lefty chuckies then? Or lefty filets? I bet you any amount of money that you cook them side by side, not one person could tell the difference.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    Maybe a government grant to Texas A&M could get to the bottom of this. 

C-T, your pecs are giant because you drink equally with both hands, negating any differences caused by the fact you pass out, I mean sleep on your left side. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I think we should start a lefty certification program. Certified Lefty Angus Wagyu Brisket -- Free Range Organic -- Grass finished by the Amish. At a market near you!
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Maybe a government grant to Texas A&M could get to the bottom of this. 

C-T, your pecs are giant because you drink equally with both hands, negating any differences caused by the fact you pass out, I mean sleep on your left side. 
    That would explain a lot :))
  • troutgeek said:

I think we should start a lefty certification program. Certified Lefty Angus Wagyu Brisket -- Free Range Organic -- Grass finished by the Amish. At a market near you!

Somebody will do it. Funny though.
  • I read it on amazingribs.com
    Boom