Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last minute pork tenderloin Help!!!

My wife and I are hosting an engagement party for my brother and his fiance tomorrow night. I have been asked last minute to cook a pork tenderloin to make small sandwiches with horseradish sauce. The sauce is made and the buns are bought along with a 12 lb loin from Sam's.

Any suggestions on a overnight rub/marinade? I have never cooked one this large so was also searching for an estimate of how long to cook. I was planning on doing it at 350. Thanks as always everyone!!

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Auwag, what you have is a loin and not a tenderloin. Tenderloins are only about a pound to a pound and a quarter each. I'm sorry I don't have a recipe but one thing for sure is do not over cook them. Cook to about 135 and pull. A little pink inside is a good thing. Yes 350 is about right.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    If it was me I would return the loin and get tenderloins. So much easier cook. Most any rub will be fine. I like one with brown sugar but most will work.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gonna be TOUGH to cook a loin for sandwiches, agree with Mickey go buy 12 tenderloins and cook them to 140 IT slice and serve.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Thanks guys! Not sure how I made this mistake but glad I asked here first! I really don't want to cook any more food as we have a ton but happy wife happy life or whatever they say... Any good tenderloin rubs you recommend?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I did blackened tenderloin a few days ago.  It was delicious.  We made stir-fry with leftovers tonight.  Try a few different flavor profiles.  Low and slow with a reverse sear, or cook medium direct.  Important to not overcook - 135 is perfect.  I agree with mickey - get tenderloin. It's the pork filet mignon.  Coffee rub, a Hungarian paprika is good, if you're serving with a horseradish, just a simple salt and course pepper is elegant.
    Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee

Equal part: Brown Sugar

½ part: Black Pepper

½ part: Kosher Salt

½ part: Garlic Powder

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Probably too late too help, but with tenderloins, I'd use either Mickey's coffee rub or salt and pepper with the horse radish. These are both great preps and should stand on their own. 

The beauty of tenderloins is you will probably have at least 4-6 of them. Do half with Mickey's rub and half with S&P, horsey on the side. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AUWAG
    AUWAG Posts: 73
    Thanks guys it turned out great! (We did not need it or the 48 bottles of wine my wife bought but hey whose keeping score). The tenderloin was a hit! Always appreciate y'alls insight.
  • AUWAG said:
    Thanks guys it turned out great! (We did not need it or the 48 bottles of wine my wife bought but hey whose keeping score). The tenderloin was a hit! Always appreciate y'alls insight.
    leftover wine is the best thing about hosting a party. Of course, I hang out with reprobates and left over booze is rarely a burden for us.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MJQ8
    MJQ8 Posts: 43
    Doing a Hormel pre marinated tenderloin today. Do you advise direct or indirect? Thanks in advance.
    Any cook you can walk away from is a good one.