Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Sous Vide Supreme Black Friday weekend special

Considering the interest the sous-vide side threads have generated, I though I might pass along a link to a weekend discount.

To bring this slightly back on topic, my sous-vide today will be a re-heat of 1 Egg'd turkey thigh and 2 wing "drumsticks." I think that there is enough collagen left in the dark meat, plus all that nice smoky flavor that i should have superior leftovers from melting them for a day in a hot bath.

Comments

• Thanks for the link. Great buy on the Supreme. Saw a PBS show on how we taste and why we eat what we eat. Really interesting coverage of the Modernist Cuisine by Nathan Myhrvold - A foodie with Microsoft roots. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239

Thanks for the link. Great buy on the Supreme. Saw a PBS show on how we taste and why we eat what we eat. Really interesting coverage of the Modernist Cuisine by Nathan Myhrvold - A foodie with Microsoft roots. 
    Myhvold hoped that the price for home SV set ups would come down eventually to something comparable to a microwave. Seems like they are heading in the right direction.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Other than the NSF certification and the free vacuum sealer, is there anything about the "Chef" model that is different from the regular Sous Vide Supreme?  The regular one can be had for $400 but I'd spend another $50 if the Chef is better.

It is very tempting.  
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Deckhand said:
    Other than the NSF certification and the free vacuum sealer, is there anything about the "Chef" model that is different from the regular Sous Vide Supreme?  The regular one can be had for $400 but I'd spend another $50 if the Chef is better.

It is very tempting.  
    I can't find anything. No user feedback. Nothing about rated hours for the heating elements, or accuracy of the temp controller. Unfortunate. Seems to me, the offer may be tempting for a commercial kitchen, where an NSF and UL cert is worth the extra money when the health inspector comes around.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I called the Sous Vide Supreme information number.  Very polite gentleman explained that the heating element on the "Chef" model was cast aluminum (he said what the regular one was made of but I can't remember) and there were several other changes to make it comply with UL and NSF certification requirements.  He said, in a nutshell, that the "Chef" model was sturdier and was worth the slight difference in price (during the sale).    Pulled the trigger. Amazon reviews of the sealer included in the Black Friday weekend deal say it's junk so I'll put it away as a back up to my Food Saver.

Still time to order.... tick, tick, tick 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Deckhand said:
    I called the Sous Vide Supreme information number.  Very polite gentleman explained that the heating element on the "Chef" model was cast aluminum (he said what the regular one was made of but I can't remember) and there were several other changes to make it comply with UL and NSF certification requirements.  He said, in a nutshell, that the "Chef" model was sturdier and was worth the slight difference in price (during the sale).    Pulled the trigger. Amazon reviews of the sealer included in the Black Friday weekend deal say it's junk so I'll put it away as a back up to my Food Saver.

Still time to order.... tick, tick, tick 
    Sweet.   You'll love it.

I've had my Polyscience unit running almost non-stop since I got it.  I've done two turkeys, spare ribs, steaks, short ribs (those are coming out tonight - been over 2 days), turkey loin, eggs and chicken.   Just about everything has been phenomenal except for the steak that I overcooked by a couple of degrees, and it was really good.

I won't even thaw out frozen stuff - just throw it in.

Just do a lot of reading before you decide on temps and time.  I've learned there are a lot of recipes that are way off....experiment and always follow up with a hot sear.

This forum keeps costing me more money - pulled the trigger and now I can hardly wait to get it.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    I really have to think about this, are these really worth it? I am very tony here, suckers ain't cheap.
  • IrishDevl said:
    I really have to think about this, are these really worth it? I am very tony here, suckers ain't cheap.
    depends on what you want to do. I use mine all the time and love it. I promise, i can make better food (in some cases) with one than without. It's a toy, but it's a great toy. You can get in cheap if you want to try- (crock pot, rice cooker, stove top etc)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • IrishDevl
    I was actually thinking of telling the wife to get me one, or go I have her buy me Titleist AP2's. life is tough my man.
  • IrishDevl said:
    I was actually thinking of telling the wife to get me one, or go I have her buy me Titleist AP2's. life is tough my man.
    So true. You could do what I would and tell the wife to get you the clubs and then just go buy the other gear on your own. A little life lesson from Centex (disclaimer: don't ever use Life Lessons From Centex- they are horrible)

• IrishDevl

IrishDevl said:

So true. You could do what I would and tell the wife to get you the clubs and then just go buy the other gear on your own. A little life lesson from Centex (disclaimer: don't ever use Life Lessons From Centex- they are horrible)

That one is pretty sharp. You have some genius qualities.
  • nolaegghead
    Buy her the sous vide cooker and she can buy you the clubs.  Tell her how cool it would be to freak out your dinner guest by being the first on your block to use sous vide. 
    edited November 2012
      You can get in cheap if you want to try- (crock pot, rice cooker, stove top etc)
    like this?
    ;)
    canuckland
  • IrishDevl

Buy her the sous vide cooker and she can buy you the clubs.  Tell her how cool it would be to freak out your dinner guest by being the first on your block to use sous vide. 

Need to teach her to boil water first.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited November 2012
    Man, I can't get approval from the wife.   :(
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    IrishDevl said:
    Need to teach her to boil water first.
    Without burning it?
    cazzy said:
    Got a slow cooker?

For $60, convert that sucker into a sous vide cooker....

http://store.holyscraphotsprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=3
    I do...I guess I'll give that a shot. Thanks Nola!!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,407
    cazzy said:
    scare her with the rice/slow cooker alternative like mine and she'll grant instant approval
    :))
    canuckland
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:
    scare her with the rice/slow cooker alternative like mine and she'll grant instant approval
    :))
    I do all the cooking in my household so it's my equipment that I plan on hacking.  She just reaps the benefits!  lol
  • IrishDevl
    So, would that sous vide on sale be the way to go or is another a better option?  Those short ribs nola put up look great.  Wouldn't mind doing something like that.  Rather not go hack sous vide. 
  • @Nola-I'm really tempted to taken chance on that temp controller. Have you had any interaction with this rig or know someone who's got one? I've got three crockpots and think it might be a good investment.....
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • nolaegghead
    @scooter759 - no direct or indirect experience.  There are a number of kits and turnkey thermostat controllers that will work on crockpots out there.  This one costs a little more but it has good reviews: http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/product-reviews/B0088OTON4/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I'm a little more comfortable going through Amazon. I think I'm gonna give that one a try. I just checked out your post on the short ribs, and that was the last straw!!! I can't wait any longer.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, I know where you're comin' from.  I reluctant to use my CC to buy stuff from little web sites - don't trust their security.
    ;)
    yep. 
  • IrishDevl said:
    IrishDevl said:

That one is pretty sharp. You have some genius qualities.
    It's a gift. 
  • Is there any reason to get this one over one on Amazon Prime?
  • cazzy

Is there any reason to get this one over one on Amazon Prime?

I don't believe the one on amazon is the "chef" model.