Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So excited about what's next to come!!!!

Pizza, pasta, bread, fresh ground beef oh my! Been wanting one of these for years and I finally pulled the trigger. :D

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    Super duper! Congratulations on your new red-headed stepchild. It is my favorite tool in the kitchen, hands down.

• Great tool, I refer to ours as the cement mixer, darn thing will blend anything. 

Pizza dough for deep dish tonight was easy with this thing, ran for 10 minutes  which would have take 1/2 hour if knead was by hand. 

Enjoy!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • It's fun to make butter too.  Just get whipping cream and mix at high setting.  At the first signs of butter, lower the speed quickly or you'll have butter splattered all over the place.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Like the red color. You will have fun making all sorts foods.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    It's fun to make butter too.  Just get whipping cream and mix at high setting.  At the first signs of butter, lower the speed quickly or you'll have butter splattered all over the place.
    This is interesting. Just Heavy Cream, I assume? What is the ratio of liquid cream to solid butter?

• This is interesting. Just Heavy Cream, I assume? What is the ratio of liquid cream to solid butter?

Yep, just heavy cream. A quart makes a pretty fair amount of (unsalted) butter.  The biproduct is traditional buttermilk, which is very thin (unlike the buttermilk you buy at the store).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Is that the pro 600 model? Very nice, sir.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Congrats on your new toy! I was given a KA stand mixer in July and I have been baking more and getting better results. One of the things I like is you can have  a batch of dough mixing for 10 minutes while you are doing the cleanup.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    @travisstrick,
    The pro 6000 model raises and lowers the bowl instead of raising and lowering the top. It takes some getting use to but seems like a good design. It has a serious motor on it too.
    We used the one @cazzy just bought almost daily for 11 years before it wore out and we decided to upgrade. Great product.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Congratulations, you will love it. So much you can do!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Folks on my pizza forum rave about the spiral dough hook available for this larger mixer.  Sadly, they don't make one for my model (the head lifts up, not the bowl).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Nice!  My wife just got one a couple of weeks ago as well from Kohls.  They were offering a free meat grinder attachment by mail...so I'm excited about that!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    hapster said:

That's a great mixer you bought your kids ;)

Aint that the truth!
  • cazzy

It's fun to make butter too.  Just get whipping cream and mix at high setting.  At the first signs of butter, lower the speed quickly or you'll have butter splattered all over the place.

I'm soooo making butter now! Lol

Thanks for the tip! I knew I'd make whip cream one day but never thought I could make butter.

• cazzy

Is that the pro 600 model? Very nice, sir.

Yes sir!!

• cazzy
    edited November 2012
    Hi54putty said:

@travisstrick,
    The pro 6000 model raises and lowers the bowl instead of raising and lowering the top. It takes some getting use to but seems like a good design. It has a serious motor on it too.
    We used the one @cazzy just bought almost daily for 11 years before it wore out and we decided to upgrade. Great product.

What did you upgrade to? I thought the 600 was their top stand mixer? A lil confused lol

I hope ours lasts 11 years! :)
  • cazzy
    Botch said:

Folks on my pizza forum rave about the spiral dough hook available for this larger mixer.  Sadly, they don't make one for my model (the head lifts up, not the bowl).  

I've heard it is good but I probably won't understand why it's better than the others until I start getting after at.

• cazzy

Nice!  My wife just got one a couple of weeks ago as well from Kohls.  They were offering a free meat grinder attachment by mail...so I'm excited about that!  

That's where I got mine. My aunt works there so she used several discounts and I picked it up for $300 out the door. It also has a $50 mail in rebate! :D

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    You will really like it. Just a heads up since you just got it Costco has the professional 550 with the same motor as the 600 on sale for $249 right now. Not sure if it's the same design as the 600 with the bowl raising and lowering or the head raising and lowering though.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Very cool, cazzy. I had an avocado green one that my grandmother handed down to me. I passed it on to my brother when I got married and my wife had tons of KA stuff. All in red.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Congrats Cazzy!  The Kitchen Aid my 3rd favorite cooking tool. Right behind my Egg and a Vitamix. Treat it right and you'll be giving it to your grand kids.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • Eggcelsior
    Lit said:
    You will really like it. Just a heads up since you just got it Costco has the professional 550 with the same motor as the 600 on sale for $249 right now. Not sure if it's the same design as the 600 with the bowl raising and lowering or the head raising and lowering though.
    It has the same lift feature. They increased the wattage from 475 to 575 and changed the name from "professional HD to "professional 550": The only difference in the bowls. 550 is 5.5 quarts and 600 is 6 quarts.

Yes, I am jealous. I bought the "pro HD" model 5 years ago. 475 and 5 quarts. I'm green with envly.
  • cazzy

Lit said:

It has the same lift feature. They increased the wattage from 475 to 575 and changed the name from "professional HD to "professional 550": The only difference in the bowls. 550 is 5.5 quarts and 600 is 6 quarts.

Yes, I am jealous. I bought the "pro HD" model 5 years ago. 475 and 5 quarts. I'm green with envly.

I've heard before that some of the attachments don't fit the Costo one. Maybe that was the HD?

I also see peeps bring the KA back to Costco quite often. There is no going back now as I will essentially get my 600 for the same price in 6-8 weeks after rebate comes in.
  • Slight high jack alert.

I got the pro 600 model becouse it was supposed to be the best but after using it, I think the bowl lift is kind of a pain to use. For example, I can't remove the bowl with a utensil attached.

Am I an idiot? Or do I just not know what I'm doing?

Why is the bowl lift better than the head tilt?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've had the tilt-head one for years - found it new in box at a thrift store for $75.  No warranty. 

After 5 or 6 years, it developed a leak on the gear box - gear old was leaking out - not the most appetizing ingredient.  I took it apart, put in a new o-ring from my o-ring collection, new grease, and it's been going strong ever since - that probably was 5 years back.

Anyway, congrats - love the color. 

I've had the tilt-head one for years - found it new in box at a thrift store for $75.  No warranty. 

After 5 or 6 years, it developed a leak on the gear box - gear old was leaking out - not the most appetizing ingredient.  I took it apart, put in a new o-ring from my o-ring collection, new grease, and it's been going strong ever since - that probably was 5 years back.

Anyway, congrats - love the color. 

$75...now that's a banging deal right there!
  • Yes, it does pay to shop. I bought the KitchenAid Pro 600 mixer at Kohl's for $90 after rebate (KitchenAid always has a $50 rebate on these things) a little over a year ago. Kohl's price matches Amazon. Amazon had the KitchenAid Pro 600 for $285 (print out the cheapest color Amazon has it-Amazon runs sales on these all the time). Kohl's always has a 30% off coupon. Plus you can double coupon at Kohl's, so look around the net or get on their email list for another 15% off. Make sure Kohl's has their Kohl's bucks sale going on (they have it every month). Kohl's gives you a $10 gift certificate for every $50 dollars you spend during this sale. So I took the Amazon deal into Kohl's. Picked up the KitchenAid 600 in the color I wanted (Nickel Pearl). Took it to the register. Gave the cashier the Amazon price ($285). She priced matched it (no questions asked). Then she took off the 30% coupon I had. Then took off the 15% coupon I had. Total=approx. $170. Then you get Kohl bucks for a $30 gift certificate. That takes it to $140.00. I filled out the KitchenAid $50 rebate and mailed it in. Got it back after 6 weeks. Final cost before taxes= $90.00. My friend got this same deal a few months ago at Kohl's.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sweet!  Maybe I'll upgrade with that deal.  Ours is a boring white.  Are the attachments fully interchangeable?  I have a meat grinder and I've been thinking about the pasta machine.
    Wow...I need to learn how to at the system. Smh
  • Eggcelsior
    Slight high jack alert. I got the pro 600 model becouse it was supposed to be the best but after using it, I think the bowl lift is kind of a pain to use. For example, I can't remove the bowl with a utensil attached. Am I an idiot? Or do I just not know what I'm doing? Why is the bowl lift better than the head tilt?
    Bowl-lift models are larger with more power. You're not an idiot, one just has to unhook the attachment to remove the bowl.