Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket is on

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got my first brisket on the Egg.  Going for 250 grate and letting it ride.

Dizzy Pig Cow Lick mixed with some Turbonado sugar as the rub.

15.5 lbs before I trimmed off at least a pound of fat.

Brisket barely fit.  Had to use a V-rack to get it to squeeze in.

Garnerville, NY
br1.JPG 780.8K
br2.JPG 692.8K

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    Go!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Good luck. Sure it'll be great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Almost 4 hours in. Grate 265. Meat 156. Let's pray for a nice long stall. I want some sleep and not pulling the brisket at 4:00 am. Neighbors will think I am nuts.

Garnerville, NY
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    let us know how it goes. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    You are on a great ride-It will turn out just fine-you have come along way from the dark days of your early tirals and challenges with the BGE.  Enjoy the journey:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Yeah. Thanks to you guys.

By the way. The only problem with a low and slow is the aroma from the egg. I need to go find something to eat now. :)

Garnerville, NY
  • COegger
    COegger Posts: 58
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    You are on a great ride-It will turn out just fine-you have come along way from the dark days of your early tirals and challenges with the BGE.  Enjoy the journey:)
    +1 - I remember your early trials.  I've been Egging for 10 years but have never attempted a brisket so you will now surpass me!  I still learn something with every cook I do.  Good luck tonight - however it turns out, you will learn something and take it with you on the next cook.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Well its done.

on and off sleeping keeping an eye on the probe.  at 3:00 AM the probe went off that the meat was 192.  I went and checked it was still a little tough in spots. Moved the probe to another spot and the meat probe showed 183.  I shut off the probe alarm and went to back to bed to get some sleep - NOT.

At 6:45 I got up and the probe showed 196.  Went and checked the brisket.  probe slid in and out like butter. DONE.  Good thing as the Egg dropped out to 200 (Do not know why yet)

Brisket is now FTC.  Dinner is not until 6 tonight.  What is the best way to reheat this thing.  Should I leave it in the cooler all day?  I should have listened to Centtex - 1 hour a lb.

The 2 x 8 lb port shoulders I did a few weeks ago took allot longer to cook.  Is that normal?  pork butts take longer than brisket?

Garnerville, NY
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I am reading mixed information with having the brisket done way too early.  Some say to put it in the fridge and serve sliced reheated in some au jus/beef broth.

I really wanted fresh cooked brisket not dried out reheated meat with flavor masked by adding a beef broth.

Sending wife to the store for chicken thighs in case this meat is dried out.  Got to feed 18 people.

Garnerville, NY
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Do NOT slice this thing until you are ready to eat. You can reheat it in 200 degree oven or egg wrapped in foil. If your bark goes soft, take the foil off and hit it with some higher heat for 15-20 to firm it up right before slicing
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • robnybbq
    Options
    How long to reheat and to what temp?  It is not sliced and in the cooler now.  Should I leave it in the cooler (Foil w/Towel) all day like that or into the fridge? 

Garnerville, NY
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How long to reheat and to what temp?  It is not sliced and in the cooler now.  Should I leave it in the cooler (Foil w/Towel) all day like that or into the fridge? 
    If you are eating at 6 you are probably goiing to have to fridge it. Not ideal but it will have to work. I would reheat at 200 in the oven or egg for at least an hour before your guests arrive. Maybe 1.5 hrs
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I was afraid of that. Into the fridge and hope for the best. Pizza place is on speed dial.

Garnerville, NY
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I was afraid of that. Into the fridge and hope for the best. Pizza place is on speed dial.

It will be OK. I've done it many times. Just have some good sauce at hand. If it's dry, just chop it up, sauce it and eat on cheap white hamburger buns. It will still be the best brisket you have ever had.
  • lousubcap
    Options

And one other head's-up-slice against the grain-easy to do with the flat but a bit trickier with the point.  Since this is the only data point your guests will have it will be off the charts.  And the Cen-Tex audible mentioned above works great if needed which I would doubt since you cooked the whole packer.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    The brisket came out very good.  Falling apart as I cut it (I really need a good knife).  Bark was good but could have used a little more stiffness (If that is what I am thinking).  I got about 2 lbs left for today. 

Next time go an hour a lb and leave some extra time in case it goes over.  Try to make burnt ends next time.

I need to do a clean burn soon - this brisket made a mess in the egg.  I guess the drip pan (foil wrapped ring leaked.  The indirect ceramic stone is black and was covered in grease.  Plus where the brisket overhang I have grease dripping on the firebox.  I guess its a sign of a good cook.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Congrats-you have really moved your confidence quite along!  Great results!!  Now-about the clean burn-I am not a subscriber to that activity but to each is own-just have a replacement gasket (or be ready to go commando) ready as you will toast the installed one. 
  • robnybbq
    Options
    the installed one is 1/2 hosed already.  I have a new one standing by,  Will do some pizzas this week and that will help with the "clean".

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Gasket replacement coomensurate with a high-heat  cook is the best you can do. Good plan.