Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July 20, 1969-great day to be an American-Where were you?

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,174
edited July 2012 in Off Topic
43 years ago today stands as one of those days in history (for us old----) "I know where I was when...man first walked on the moon!" One of the greatest engineering feats of the modern era (right up there with the Manhatten Project). 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I was in my mothers uterus, and she had just graduated high school.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
     My parents have told me that they were both watching it on the only television on the block.  Along with friends and all their parents.  My grandma said to me shortly before she passed.  "well I was born in this world and had to use an out house and now they are walking on the moon and people living in space, quite a life I have lived"  I do have to agree with her! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Watched the moon landing in black and white while sitting on the edge of the sofa at my girl friend's house, that same wonderful woman who has been part of my life for 41 years of marriage. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • 13 years too soon for me!

Were there any cool forums back then?

Conway, S.C.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    I was a young teen watching it on tv with my family in suburban Detroit. Right after I took a quick look down the block at the main street to see how much traffic there was going by and there was NONE.
  • I was in basic training getting ready for the war....spent the evening cleaning the floors with a toothbrush...DI said we didnt have to worry about space that wasnt our job...now get you @""#% back to work!   Ah--the good old days!??! 

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    2 YEARS OLD, SO I DON'T REMEMBER IT! 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Ranger908
    Ranger908 Posts: 44
    Having a moon party at Cape Hatteras NC.  Every time the announcer said the work "Moon" we took a drink.  Not many at the party saw the first step.  There is a good Netflex series "From earth to the Moon" for anyone interested.
  • crmwell
    crmwell Posts: 19
    I was in Vietnam.  Don't recall that much of the story. No TV to watch it on.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I wasn't even a glimmer in my Dad's eye. I would have loved to have seen it. I am still proud when I see the footage. Being a bit of a space enthusiast I have watched every tv program on it I can find. The amount of work leading up to that achievement is mind boggling. Also imagine the bravery of those that went out into the unknown where no man had ever gone before. It is also amazing that the computers that ran the spacecraft had far less power than the iPhone in my pocket. I think it is a travesty that we now have to hitch a ride with the Russians to get to space.
  • Watching it in black and white with a half dozen people I worked with at the time. We were all a little hot, air conditioner at friends apartment quit working.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    7 years too early. :(

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    since i was 5 and sound asleep, it didnt really happen til the 21st
    :Di remember it perfectly, man walked on the moon on the 21st 1969
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Got this in the email joke pile yesterday - great story!  (sorry for all caps)

IN CASE YOU DIDN'T ALREADY KNOW THIS LITTLE TIDBIT OF TRIVIA, ON JULY 20, 1969, AS COMMANDER OF THE APOLLO 11 LUNAR MODULE, NEIL ARMSTRONG WAS THE FIRST PERSON TO SET FOOT ON THE MOON.

HIS FIRST WORDS AFTER STEPPING ON THE MOON, "THAT'S ONE SMALL STEP FOR MAN, ONE GIANT LEAP FOR MANKIND," WERE TELEVISED TO EARTH AND HEARD BY MILLIONS.

BUT JUST BEFORE HE RE-ENTERED THE LANDER, HE MADE THE ENIGMATIC REMARK - "GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY".

MANY PEOPLE AT NASA THOUGHT IT WAS A CASUAL REMARK CONCERNING SOME RIVAL SOVIET COSMONAUT.  HOWEVER, UPON CHECKING, THERE WAS NO GORSKY IN EITHER THE RUSSIAN OR AMERICAN SPACE PROGRAMS.

OVER THE YEARS, MANY PEOPLE QUESTIONED ARMSTRONG AS TO WHAT THE - 'GOOD LUCK, MR. GORSKY' STATEMENT MEANT, BUT ARMSTRONG ALWAYS JUST SMILED.

ON JULY 5, 1995, IN TAMPA BAY , FLORIDA , WHILE ANSWERING QUESTIONS FOLLOWING A SPEECH, A REPORTER BROUGHT UP THE 26-YEAR-OLD QUESTION TO ARMSTRONG. THIS TIME HE FINALLY RESPONDED.

MR. GORSKY HAD DIED, SO NEIL ARMSTRONG FELT HE COULD NOW ANSWER THE QUESTION.

IN 1938, WHEN HE WAS A KID IN A SMALL MID-WESTERN TOWN , HE WAS PLAYING BASEBALL WITH A FRIEND IN THE BACKYARD. HIS FRIEND HIT THE BALL, WHICH LANDED IN HIS NEIGHBOR'S YARD BY THEIR BEDROOM WINDOW. HIS NEIGHBORS WERE MR. AND MRS. GORSKY. AS HE LEANED DOWN TO PICK UP THE BALL, YOUNG ARMSTRONG HEARD MRS. GORSKY SHOUTING AT MR. GORSKY "SEX! YOU WANT SEX?! YOU'LL GET
    SEX WHEN THE KID NEXT DOOR WALKS ON THE MOON !"

TRUE STORY. *It broke the place up.
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Great story, Chip! Thanks for sharing. 

I was a -3 back in '69.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • I was 8 years old watching it on our B&W TV listening to my great-grandmother say it had to be fake...that they were actually filming this in a studio.  She also believed wrestling was real....I loved her so much and miss her so much!!!!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    -9 years old.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Whaler
    Whaler Posts: 110
    edited July 2012
    I was eleven years old and remember all the neighbors came to our house to watch the landing because we were the only ones in the neighborhood with a Color TV even though it was Broadcast in Black and White
    Pensacola,FL
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

13 years too soon for me!

Were there any cool forums back then?

Duh, no way, Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My mom was in middle school.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

sat on the couch that night and was trying not to fall asleep...glad i was around and durn proud of it.  Capt. is right on his relationship to history and modern marvels....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Matanuska
    Matanuska Posts: 29
    Camping in Dinosaur National Park among the dinosaur bones, looking at the moon, & listening to the astronauts on an AM transistor radio.
  • I was almost 2 and only know that my mother had us planted in front of the TV. What a great moment in history! 
  • I was 6 months and 18 days old
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjXvV0JBE0k

How A Rocket Ride Really Sounds

Not the same as the original ride there, but pretty cool!

• I think I was having my diaper changed.  :)
    St. Mary's, GA
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    Hey Chip, I thought Alice Kramden was the first person on the moon. ( around 1953 ) That was 16 years before Neil
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I was a little over 1yr old
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    and i guess Jackie Gleason flew Alice to the moon..."one of these days Alice, one of these days..." or gave her a bus ticket....GREAT SHOW!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    I was watching T.V. in the living room in Detroit. Great day.