Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About this 800 pound fish in the room

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,923
edited February 2017 in EggHead Forum
OK guys and gals - to some of you it makes no difference but to others we will be "enjoying" a meatless day tomorrow as well as 7 Fridays for a while. My wife is Catholic and while I am not I like to oblige her needs and cook meals we both will like. So who wants to post their favorite fish recipes? BTW once upon a time my wife asked a priest if frog legs counted as meatless and though hesitant he replied I guess so. So - we took that as yes and never asked for a second opinion. While we will have a mess of legs once or twice there is no way frog legs for 8 future meals! Ribbit Ribbit  =)

Comments

• Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    I guess that frog is OK.  They start out with gills !!
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Interesting perspective on the frog legs, Catholics I've known apply it's OK to eat if it can swim. Always wondered why beef was not allowed during Lent as cattle can swim....
    Lots of fish recipes, but sorry no help here, SWMBO is a beer batter fish kinda gal, all other treatment is sneered at. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • PirateBill
    Options

The wife and I love the Cider planked salmon recipe found in the BGE cookbook, don't have the book right in front of me now but I can get you the recipe ... its always seemes like a crowd pleaser.  

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,534
    Options
    As you are aware, there are many great fish options out there if you like fish.  I think sushi (careful about the bacon) would be quite a change of pace.  Any flash seared tuna etc.  
    BTW- I end up working a local VFW fish fry (beer batter recipe) for the duration of the Fridays.  That deal takes fried fish off any menu for me for the cycle  (and I'm not even Catholic.)  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Honestly, other than fried, one of my favorite ways to make fish is to broil it in the oven.  You can use most any white fish (mahi, flounder, striper, speckled trout, etc.)  Place it on a greased cookie sheet, top with butter and some Ragin River rub and broil for about 4 mins.  While its cooking, mix mayo, a little lemon juice, grated parmesan cheese and a few dashes of old bay.  When the fish looks done pull it and spread the above mixture on each piece and return to the broiler for no more than 90 secs or whenever you see the cheese start to bubble. 
    Carrollton, Va
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I like the not asking for a second opinion thing. Been there a few times.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,371
    Options
    I just eat what I want and go to hell. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    My kids like baked tilapia, so I adapted it for the egg. After applying some non-stick, I will lay out 4 fillets in a pan, lightly spray with olive oil and then liberally apply seasoning of choice. Favorite right now is Cavender's. "Bake" in the egg at 425 (+/-25) for about 15 minutes. Works the same in the oven but I like the little smoky taste it imparts.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,119
    Options
    We do Cedar Plank Salmon using Adams Jamaican Jerk Seasoning.  I cook it at ~350 indirect for ~25 min.

We do like this Garlic Lime Shrimp- I mix between using Skewers or using a Grill Mat.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/07/grilled-lime-garlic-shrimp-recipe.html

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,838
    edited February 2017
    Options
    from an old marist brother in my catholic high school that studied the really old scripture, lent was fasting during the day and celebration at night, nothing about no meat or eating fish =)

you dont need to fight this, keep it simple

scallops

seared tuna

green lightning shrimp, i do this in a basket and toss the buttery goodness on a steak, but they are good. picture stolen from kristi's site
     http://necessaryindulgences.com/2013/05/green-lightning-shrimp/

Green Lightning Shrimp

maine eggs maine lobster dip

verecruzana, this ones from beli, i use cod or haddock
    odd recipe, great flavors

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/593117/pescado-veracruzana-with-grouper

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hard to beat simply grilled sea bass or halibut.  Simple seasonings and finished with a little butter with lemon.  If you want some smoke, grape vine or alder, but you knew that.  I like whole fish on the egg but most don't seem to want to try this.  And there's always frog legs, they are delicious  ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    Options
    bear battered and fried, simple simple =)

shrimp tacos
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158786/shrimp-tacos

fukahwee maine

• OhioEgger
    Options
    My great-grandfather was from Nova Scotia, and pretty much lived on codfish and potatoes. He got my mother liking cod as a child, and she passed it on to me. Most people think codfish is really boring, but it can be excellent. Here's the way I do it:

1 lb codfish, cut in 1 inch cubes. I look for cod loins at the store.
    ½ cup butter
    ½ cup flour
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 cups whole milk
    ½ tsp seasoned salt
    ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    ½ cup breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 375 (you could do it in the Egg, but I've always used the oven).
    In a medium saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour until smooth. Whisk constantly, cooking for about 5 minutes.
    Reduce heat, whisk in half the milk, stir for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
    Add remaining milk, salt, pepper, and onion. Whisk until it starts to thicken.
    Mix cheese with breadcrumbs.
    Place cod in greased baking dish, cover with sauce and top with cheese and breadcrumbs.
    Bake 20-25 minutes until golden on top.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    salmon croquettes

more complicated, good gameday food

braised the salmon in butter, maybe 4 pounds meat shredded, 2 red onions, 2 large jalapenos, 2 sticks celery, 1 sleeve ritzs crackers, some mustard, pepper, onion and garlic powder, and some cayenne, about a cup and a half mayo. mix it all up and fold the salmon and some panko in. sauce was mayo with a couple tbsp franks, green relish, and a shot of honey

httpsusv-cdnnet5017260uploadsFileUpload41681d32564805a53315de280471e9bdjpg

shrimp pineapple curry
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/392243/maine-shrimp

100_1711jpg

fukahwee maine

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I love clams on the egg.  Easy as can be and leave out the pancetta for lent.  The tuna burgers are a nice change of pace, although some may think it sinful to grind up fresh tuna like that.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180951/mothers-day-clams-and-tuna-burgers#latest
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • bgebrent
    Options

Ron, you've surely already done this but whole snapper is the bomb. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    If you have a Lucky's nearby they have a great peeled and deveined shrimp for $8.99/lb. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    This is a pre-Egg recipe I have made for years and is really good with any firm white fish like cod, haddock or monk fish.

A thick piece of fish seasoned with a bit of butter on top in a baking dish. Cook indirect until just starting to flake, probably 15 -20 minutes at 350 F. This part would work well on the egg, cod and haddock are both good with a bit of smoke.

Put the fish to one side and cover.

Make a ragu sauce with onion, garlic and tinned chopped plum tomatoes (plus chopped chillis if you want a bit of heat). Fresh tomatoes are even better if you can get really good ripe ones and be bothered to peel them. Simmer this for 15 mins to thicken up the tomatoes.

While that is simmering, slice some more onions and fry in olive oil until browned a little, then stir in a handful of raisins and a handful of sliced almonds. Fry gently until the raisins swell up.

Plate up the fish with the ragu on top and then the onion / raisin / almond mix on that. The nuts and raisins thing sounds a bit odd, but it's really good - this is an Egyptian recipe, so has the north african thing of fruit and nuts with fish and meat dishes.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    RRP said:
    ...BTW once upon a time my wife asked a priest if frog legs counted as meatless and though hesitant he replied I guess so. ...
    I believe that salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles, and shellfish are permitted.  The flesh of mammals or birds is not.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Salmon filets. Smoked or grilled. Use your favorite rub or coat with some other yummy stuff. Bake indirect at 350. Cover with garlic and parmigian cheese or with southwest themed spice and salsa or with lemon and butter. So many options. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • bgebrent
    Options
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    I recently made these salmon burgers and grilled them on the egg around 375 direct -
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7131-salmon-burgers?em_pos=large&emc=edit_ck_20170213&nl=cooking&nlid=78508130

Very tasty.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Try salmon, or any other fish sous vide style.  Brine it for 30 minutes first in a ice water/salt bath.  Cook it at 125 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes for a 1" thick piece.  Put whatever seasonings and spices you like in the bag with it along with some EVOO while it cooks.  You can sear it in the skillet afterwards or hit it with a torch, but it is also good straight out of the bag.

After you have had salmon cooked this way, you will realize how much it dries out on the egg.  It really is incredible, the thin edges of the fillet will not overcook like they do on the egg.  Every bite is just as tender.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    family favorites:  cod dipped in egg wash and herbed panko crumbs.  Pan sear until golden brown.   Salmon: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1178688/simple-tasty-salmon-marinade#latest Simple tasty salmon marinade.
    Shrimp of course like ^ said above.   And crab cakes!  And oysters!
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    hey @bgebrent what do you stuff in the snapper? Can't tell from the pic. 

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    hey @bgebrent what do you stuff in the snapper? Can't tell from the pic. 

Garlic, thyme, Basil, lemon and S & P.  Simple and let's the fish shine.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    ...BTW once upon a time my wife asked a priest if frog legs counted as meatless and though hesitant he replied I guess so. ...
    I believe that salt and freshwater species of fish, amphibians, reptiles, and shellfish are permitted.  The flesh of mammals or birds is not.
    I'm no expert but they do a muskrat dinner around here during Lent. I've been told as long as it swims it's good but that could be a "regional interpretation". 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/02/26/468166791/when-beef-is-off-limits-beaver-and-muskrat-make-it-to-lenten-menu
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.