Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

About this 800 pound fish in the room

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    mlamb01 said:
    Try salmon, or any other fish sous vide style.  Brine it for 30 minutes first in a ice water/salt bath.  Cook it at 125 degrees for about 30 to 40 minutes for a 1" thick piece.  Put whatever seasonings and spices you like in the bag with it along with some EVOO while it cooks.  You can sear it in the skillet afterwards or hit it with a torch, but it is also good straight out of the bag.

After you have had salmon cooked this way, you will realize how much it dries out on the egg.  It really is incredible, the thin edges of the fillet will not overcook like they do on the egg.  Every bite is just as tender.
    Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy!

Tonight I took your idea in general but at 135 for 35 minutes plus in the bag I added butter and maple syrup and EVOO besides the salmon dusted with Dizzy Pig Raging River. About as soon as the bag hit the water the butter melted and the syrup joined the moisture being released by the salmon. HONEST - this salmon was so tender - so flaky - so tasty - it was beyond any more description! I agree there was no need to further sear it.

Thanks @mlamb01 I owe you!

And yet - all you other responders...I haven't forgotten your ideas and I thank you!

• mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Glad you liked it RRP...  I also use the maple syrup/butter/raging river combo too!  I usually apply it after taking it out of the bag, but next time I will try cooking it with the butter and maple syrup in the bag like you did.  Probably would not need the EVOO doing it that way?

I'd encourage you to experiment with dropping the temp abit more if you are using farm raised salmon.  You might think how could this cook at 125 degrees?  I bet you can hold your hand over a 300 degree grate alot longer than you can keep it submerged in 125 degree water.  Stuff cooks alot quicker than you think in the sous vide, because the energy transfer is so much better in water than air.

The lower temp will make the salmon abit more fragile(tender) and harder to handle without it breaking, be careful taking it out of the bag.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,930
    Options
    Well - I was even thinking about going higher - reason is the fish was cool by the time I served it - really! Also it was so tender it fell apart even though I used a spatula to get the pieces out of the bag. Perhaps having the syrup and butter in the bag caused that since this salmon sure wasn't poached!
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    I just leave it in the water till I am ready to eat it, then directly onto the plate and in my mouth.  If you turn the opening of the bag inside out, the fish will slide right out onto the plate without catching on the bag zipper.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,218
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well - I was even thinking about going higher - reason is the fish was cool by the time I served it - really! Also it was so tender it fell apart even though I used a spatula to get the pieces out of the bag. Perhaps having the syrup and butter in the bag caused that since this salmon sure wasn't poached!
    Pretty good guide here for you Ron:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-salmon-recipe.html
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    800lb fish? You gonna need something like an XL for that.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group