Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone used maple flavouring when curing bacon?

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I have a pork belly to cure and I picked up some maple flavour and would like to try to maple up my bacon. Has anyone done this?  If so how much would I use for a 5 lb piece of belly?  I know this is a pretty specific question but I tried maple syrup before and I ended up with bacon that burnt easily so I want to try to make maple without the sugar. Any advice would be appreciated. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2016
    Options
    gmac said:
    Has anyone done this?

Yes.

If so how much would I use for a 5 lb piece of belly?

1/4 cup is perfect for 5 lbs of belly. 

I know this is a pretty specific question but I tried maple syrup before and I ended up with bacon that burnt easily so I want to try to make maple without the sugar. Any advice would be appreciated. 

Without being there to have seen your process, this is just me thinking out loud. But it sounds to me like you did not perform a good rinse. No matter how much of "anything" that you used, if you throughly rinsed it there should be zero solids remaining. If you had sugar, syrup, or whatever on the surface, blackening is the result. The use of Maple syrup  is not the culprit. Literally tons of pork has been cured with Maple syrup as an addition without issue. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    What about using mapleine?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I always use maple syrup and have no prob with burning. I use 1/4 cup per 10 lbs. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh-totally agree with Scottie.  I rinse the hell
    out of it. I bet that's your issue. 
  • gmac
    Options
    I am sure that rinsing was the problem. I don't follow directions well. I often lather and repeat without rinsing. 

My little bottle isn't even 1/4 cup. Was that for syrup or flavouring @SGH?
    Notice that I'm using the formulation with the U so it may be stronger :)
  • SGH
    Options
    gmac said:
    My little bottle isn't even 1/4 cup. Was that for syrup or flavouring @SGH?
    For actual Maple syrup. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    Options
    Thanks @SGH. Will try that again. 
    Any other thoughts on bacon flavours? I did some black pepper coated that was good but I wouldn't want too much of it at once. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gmac said:
    Any other thoughts on bacon flavours? I did some black pepper coated that was good but I wouldn't want too much of it at once. 
    Nutmeg is the secret ingredient for bacon. Half teaspoon per 10lb 
  • SGH
    edited December 2016
    Options
    gmac said:

My pleasure brother. 

Any other thoughts on bacon flavours? 

Two of my personal favorites are Honey bacon and Cajun bacon.
    For the Honey bacon, simply use honey in place of the Maple syrup. 
    The Cajun bacon is simply made by the addition of red, white, and cayenne pepper in very heavy doses to your Cure. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @gmac
    I have never tried this so I can't speak for how good it is. But I have been dying to try it. 

http://www.baconandlegs.com/2014/10/19/pumpkin-spice-candied-bacon/

Status- Standing by.

• gmac
    Options
    Thanks @SGH and @The Cen-Tex Smoker. Gonna try both nutmeg and honey (not together). And rinse like a washing machine...
  • SGH
    Options
    gmac said:
     And rinse like a washing machine...
    When you are absolutely 100% sure that you have rinsed it enough, rinse it one more time. No joke. 

Status- Standing by.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2016
    Options

Here is what I have done. I have 5-6 more flavors I have to do yet and perfect, but these have been winners for me.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200761/another-run-o-bacon#latest

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200392/let-the-slicing-begin#latest

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    SGH said:
    gmac said:
     And rinse like a washing machine...
    When you are absolutely 100% sure that you have rinsed it enough, rinse it one more time. No joke. 
    +1, I soak for half a day, with multiple water changes.
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gmac said:
    Thanks @SGH and @The Cen-Tex Smoker. Gonna try both nutmeg and honey (not together). And rinse like a washing machine...
    Nutmeg is great with honey and/or maple syrup. It's subtle and will blend in. We use it with every flavor profile we make. Our base is salt, sugar, black pepper,pink salt, and nutmeg. Then we start to play with flavor. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I have one in right now that will kind of resemble a Bloody Mary. Then I'm going to serve them at brunch on New Year's Day with 3 strips of bacon

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• gmac
    Options
    I have one in right now that will kind of resemble a Bloody Mary. Then I'm going to serve them at brunch on New Year's Day with 3 strips of bacon
    @Killit_and_Grillit or @hondabbq can you explain the Bloody Mary aspect of making bacon?  Is it a vodka/tomato juice cure with salt and nitrites?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I used maple flakes during the cure and rinse it off with the salt. I can only find them right after the season. Try the Bulk Barn. If you are lucky enough to have a buddy in New Brunswick you can get the one pound blocks of maple sugar and grate it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gmac
    Options
    I used maple flakes during the cure and rinse it off with the salt. I can only find them right after the season. Try the Bulk Barn. If you are lucky enough to have a buddy in New Brunswick you can get the one pound blocks of maple sugar and grate it.
    I have a friend that does maple syrup every year on a professional basis. Getting sugar won't be a problem. It make incredible cotton candy. Still looking for someone who has used maple flavour in a bottle, may have to go get some syrup or sugar and do that. The bottle was $5 so no big deal if I don't use it. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    I just made a blend of the same spices in a Caesar then added tomato powder. 
  • gmac
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I just made a blend of the same spices in a Caesar then added tomato powder. 
    Interesting. I have never seen tomato powder. Maybe a Winnipeg thing :)
    I'm sure it's around here somewhere. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    You can get it online. I got some from a spice supplier. Try bulk barn. Spice houses. 
    I found a product made locally called Caesar pleaser. It's dry Caesar mix. Just add water for a Caesar, add booze. It was intended for those that want a Caesar but couldn't get it Wherever they were that didn't know or have Caesars. 

I bought a pouch pouch after I had already made my mix up. It's tasted pretty good on the finger so I'm sure it would work fir curing.