Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time use lbge

Options
I will be recieving my large bge Saturday. I'm sure it says in the instructions or all over this site  (can't find a search button?) 
But it's there a break in time or anything I should do before my first cook.
Any info would be great !
I'll post pics of it in my table I built once I get it! This site is awesome 

Comments

• tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Get on BGE's web site. They have a bunch of tips and videos regarding start up and cooking on the egg. You want to go low temp the first couple of cooks to let the gasket season. Welcome to the forum and to the cult.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    Congratulations and let the fun begin!!
    Please try to keep the temperature low around 350-400° for the first couple of cooks.There is risk of ruining the gasket otherwise
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Welcome. The egg and table are just the start of your expenses. Plan accordingly.  =)

PS - search box is on the right side of the page, but better to use Google (enter your search terms and add site:eggheadforum.com - the search engine is better).

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Degree of Kool-Aid consumption a matter of choice.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Welcome. We like pics!!!!!!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Another victim walks through the door. 

Www.ceramicgrillstore.com

just go there now and be done with it. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Another victim walks through the door. 

Www.ceramicgrillstore.com

just go there now and be done with it. 
     =)  :lol:
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. They don't call it The "BIG GREEN" Egg, for nothing. Wallet Genocide, but worth every penny.
    You have been warned. Have fun.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations and welcome! You are going to have a great time with your new egg. All aforementioned warnings about wallet draining are true.

Regarding your gasket, BGE does suggest that you keep the first few cooks rather low to season the gasket. But your gasket will eventually fail, when that happens contact the site gasket guru - @RRP. He will hook you up with a replacement gasket.

Get a good instant read thermometer, cook to temp rather than time, try something new every few cooks and have fun. 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Welcome.

I accidentally pushed my 3rd cook to over 700 with no perceived issues.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jbritt510
    Options
    L BGE is the best thing that has ever happened to my off days and weekends!! Now if my wife will just give me a bigger allowance to buy all the fun stuff to go with it!! Enjoy the adventure
    Smoking Hott Wife, Somking Hott Large BGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Welcome. The egg and table are just the start of your expenses. Plan accordingly.  =)

PS - search box is on the right side of the page, but better to use Google (enter your search terms and add site:eggheadforum.com - the search engine is better).

The search box is also not on the mobile site, so you'll need to use the google method mentioned here on your phone.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @36onslow, welcome to the Eggdiction.  We are all here to help and your dealer should have told some of the basics if they are a good dealer.  Mine deliverer mine no charge and told my how to set it up, light it and to keep it under 400 for the first 2 cooks or so. 

By the way the search window for the forum is here, but @Acn is correct in that sometimes it is just easier to type what you are looking for in Google and it will bring up things on the forum.  Happy egging and keep a hold on the wallet. 

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    You will need to get on a computer to use the search function.  I don't have one on my phone. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Roebuck
    Options
    You will need to get on a computer to use the search function.  I don't have one on my phone. 
    If you use Chrome on a mobile devise (not a fan of Safari) you can tap the three dots at the top right of the screen for options and tap "Request Desktop Site"...

That'll work for searching on phone/tablet. 
    Birmingham, Ala.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    36onslow said:
    ...But it's there a break in time or anything I should do before my first cook.
    Some (@caliking, @Little Steven) prefer to start an egg off with a healthy dose of curry.  Once you hit it with a powerful dose of spice, it no longer fears whatever may come its way.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    Options
    Thabks everyone!  Can't wait to try it out this weekend
    Plan on doing a turkey for Christmas so I need to get this thing figured out !
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome... You gonna really have fun...  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Welcome and yes it is easy to spend money with new toys.  Figure out how and what you will cook before buying toys
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    20stone said:
    36onslow said:
    ...But it's there a break in time or anything I should do before my first cook.
    Some (@caliking, @Little Steven) prefer to start an egg off with a healthy dose of curry.  Once you hit it with a powerful dose of spice, it no longer fears whatever may come its way.
    It was LS's idea. I swear. 

About the gasket, my understanding was that the older gaskets (made out of old blankets or something like that) had to be seasoned/cured. I don't think this has to be done for the newer gaskets in the past few years. I could be wrong though. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    36onslow said:
    Do several simple cooks between now and then. Learn temp control. Mentally note settings for 400F. Get 3 fire bricks. YouTube spatchcock. 

Spatchcock your turkey Xmas eve. Leave uncovered in the fridge overnight.  Cook raised direct @400 with legs pointed to the back. Small handful of pecan chips. (Or 1 med or 2 small chunks)

Be wowed.

It is that simple.  Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. 

Wecome to the forum of misfits.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • 36onslow
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Just curious ... why would I spatchcock it ?
    36onslow said:
    Do several simple cooks between now and then. Learn temp control. Mentally note settings for 400F. Get 3 fire bricks. YouTube spatchcock. 

Spatchcock your turkey Xmas eve. Leave uncovered in the fridge overnight.  Cook raised direct @400 with legs pointed to the back. Small handful of pecan chips. (Or 1 med or 2 small chunks)

Be wowed.

It is that simple.  Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be. 

Wecome to the forum of misfits.....

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Spatchcocking a bird allows it to cook from all sides, cook quicker and maintain more moisture. Try one spatchcock chicken and you'll be convinced. This page contains more info on the how and why.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/spatchcocking_and_butterflying_poultry.html

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    As far as the gasket, my dealer said he still sees some instances of it sealing itself shut if not broken in and the website and directions still say to do break in also, so I would be safe rather than sorry and the hassle it will be to correct if it were to still seal shut. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • 36onslow
    Options
    I'll definitely do it the right way and do some lower cooks. Definitely my first will be a donair. Making Halifax Nova Scotia proud haha
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome.  Food Pr0N is always appreciated.  Extra points for diamond plating :wink:@tarheelmatt
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    Youtube has some helpful videos too if you search "green egg" or "kamado".  It'll be my first egged turkey too this year, I hope the gods are good to us!
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • 36onslow
    Options
    The eagle has landed !
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Is that wood? What is that insert?