Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklin

Options
Just came across this No Reservations show in Austin. There's a segment on Franklin BBQ starting at 7:15 if anyone's interested. Makes even brisket look good! =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmWTdJAG7EI

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks to all this weekends brisket cooks and the fact that I haven't fired one up in around 6 weeks-game on this coming Sunday. Also thanks for the link-always good to know the illusive target even if I can't hit it  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks.  That was a really good video.  

I added the link to my blog so others can easily watch it.

Spring "Keep Austin Weird" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "Only Texans and Jews understand brisket." LOL
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    And those who have attended brisket camp.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Only oak?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    god that makes me want to go this week. I think I will. it's so good you can't even describe it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    That video does it pretty well though. holy crap it's good.

• MaskedMarvel
    Options
    That video does it pretty well though. holy crap it's good.

Four more posts, and you can call it a milestone trip. The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    god that makes me want to go this week. I think I will. it's so good you can't even describe it.

Always enjoy your posts, centex. Enjoy that well deserved celebration brisket!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• smokeybreeze
    Options
    Did you notice that Aaron Franklin wrapped his briskets in butcher paper when they came off the smoker and that the butcher paper was soaked when he removed the briskets from the butcher paper? ;)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Did you notice that Aaron Franklin wrapped his briskets in butcher paper when they came off the smoker and that the butcher paper was soaked when he removed the briskets from the butcher paper? ;)
    I bet that's because he boils them, just like @travisstrick
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Nice video, makes me want to get a stick burner in addition to my egg. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @J-dubya -  If you are thinking about it now, then I don't know of anything that will change that urge.  Hold on for a while and I will give you a novice intro report to a stick burner's life in a few weeks.  I just pulled the trigger on one to be delivered in 3-4 weeks.  The last of the Q challenges that I plan to wrestle with.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    Nice video, makes me want to get a stick burner in addition to my egg. 
    A few of us here have a Karubecue - http://www.kbq.us/

Not a traditional stick burner but you still get to play with fire nonetheless.

Join the club!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @J-dubya -  If you are thinking about it now, then I don't know of anything that will change that urge.  Hold on for a while and I will give you a novice intro report to a stick burner's life in a few weeks.  I just pulled the trigger on one to be delivered in 3-4 weeks.  The last of the Q challenges that I plan to wrestle with.  
    Which one did you go with?
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I like Boudain. He's got a dream job. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @CTMike -  Went with a Lang 36 patio - the bottom on the size and price-line.
    Don't need it but decided I have to give the stick-burner challenge a run.  Time will tell-.
    Apologize for the hi-jack. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like Boudain. He's got a dream job. 
    His books are awesome too. Read Kitchen Confidential if you haven't already. It's the whole reason he is doing what he's doing now. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I love Franklin!

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    "Only Texans and Jews understand brisket." LOL
    Enter John Markus, and his LBJ brisket
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Cliffnotes,
    Hipster plates in Austin are so empty.
    Dan V is a Fockstick.
    Hipsters can Fock up a simple tat.
    Hipsters can Fock up a simple marg.
    Hipsters party hard by shotgunning beers. lmfao
    Hipsters can Fock up a simple suckling pig. 
    And Franklin BBQ is overrated. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     The last of the Q challenges that I plan to wrestle with.  

Famous last words- this forum will help you find another one before long. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CTMike -  Went with a Lang 36 patio - the bottom on the size and price-line.
    Don't need it but decided I have to give the stick-burner challenge a run.  Time will tell-.
    Apologize for the hi-jack. 
    You won't be disappointed at all with the Lang. I just sold my 36 patio and got a 60 Deluxe.
    Stick burners are definitely a different way to cook. Not the set it and forget it that the egg has to offer but they can put out some great grub.
    I have both and each has it's place in the event chain.
    The Lang gives more opportunity to bs with your friends while tending the fire. You also have more time to nurture the brain cells.
    The egg is relatively boring. Light it up, put meat on, take meat off, and chow down.
    Good luck with the "last" BBQ venture. I'm betting against the last part!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Just watched this video and noticed Aaron pulling the brisket out of the paper right before he serves it.    I thought most people wrap in paper during the cook,  then when the brisket is ready,  pull and let it sit out for 20 minutes,  then foil/towel/cooler.

Do you guys just leave it in the paper while it's in the cooler as well?    Curious if I should not use foil during the resting period and just stick with paper the entire time. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Just watched this video and noticed Aaron pulling the brisket out of the paper right before he serves it.    I thought most people wrap in paper during the cook,  then when the brisket is ready,  pull and let it sit out for 20 minutes,  then foil/towel/cooler.

Do you guys just leave it in the paper while it's in the cooler as well?    Curious if I should not use foil during the resting period and just stick with paper the entire time. 
    I have experimented with this. I have found, what seems to work best for me, is wrapping when it hits the stall. If I am not mistaken, this is called the "Texas Crutch". I may be mistaken, however, I leave it in the paper, allow it to rest for about 20 mins open, rewrap in the paper, wrap in a towel, then place in the cooler for a coulple hours. This seems to work very well.
    I will also add that I cheat. I mix 2 parts beef broth, 1 part garlic juice, and 1 part onion juice and inject the flat mostly. I do this twice. Once in the prep prior to placing on the egg, and once before doing the wrap in the stall.
    Purists frown upon this. I do not care. The end result has been a fabulous meal for friends and family, and the best sammies ever, if there are leftovers.
    I get the oak thing. It is good. But being the non traditionalist here, I use pecan. Killer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @GoooDawgs, I definitely leave it in the paper while it is resting.  When I went to Franklin's, Aaron wasn't there but the guy who sliced the brisket dragged each slice through the brisket juice on the way to the plate to pick up some extra moisture.  I now do that whenever I cook brisket.  It's a nice technique. 

And for the record, aluminum foil is the Texas crutch and I believe that term specifically referred to cooking ribs using a 3-2-1 (3 hours smoking, 2 hours in foil, one hour back out of foil) type technique. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    Options
    Thanx for the clarification, too many shots to the head, memory is about gone these days.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    :)YukonRon said:
    Thanx for the clarification, too many shots to the head, memory is about gone these days.

No need to apologize.  You're definitely smarter than 99% of the UK fans I know.  :-)

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    lousubcap said:
     The last of the Q challenges that I plan to wrestle with.  

Famous last words- this forum will help you find another one before long. 
    I chuckled when I read that too. I also like the "I don't need it" remark. I bet Amazon has me on their preferred customer list because of all the stuff I've bought that I don't need. :)
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    :)YukonRon said:

No need to apologize.  You're definitely smarter than 99% of the UK fans I know.  :-)

Man, that still is a very low bar to set, very few can limbo underneath that one. B)

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    YukonRon said:

I will also add that I cheat. I mix 2 parts beef broth, 1 part garlic juice, and 1 part onion juice and inject the flat mostly. I do this twice. Once in the prep prior to placing on the egg, and once before doing the wrap in the stall.
    Purists frown upon this. I do not care. The end result has been a fabulous meal for friends and family, and the best sammies ever, if there are leftovers.

i actually do the same thing but just use straight broth.  it definitely kicked up my game a notch.  my past 2 briskets done this way were amazing