Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

@nolaegghead is the nicest guy I know. Lent me his boat for two days in southern Louisiana.

Options
As was memorialized in the previous thread,

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1197004/off-topic-help-me-plan-a-trip-from-san-antonio-to-not-in-new-orleans-with-my-son/p1

@nolaegghead offered to lend his boat to me and my son for a few days of father/son time prior to moving him into college. 

We went to his house and dropped off our car. Nola and his loving bride @FleurdeLirious took us to pick up their boat and we went to Myrlte Grove marina and launched it. We then went 40+ miles through the marsh and across Barataria Bay to Grand Isle where we had a gulf-front house rented. 

We did a little fishing and while boating saw more dolphins and pelicans than I have ever seen before. 

Fleurdelirious had picked up some great and huge shrimp and she cooked up a mess of good food as we had some good Allagash beer.  Did a little more fishing/boating the next day before we took our hosts back to their truck at the boat ramp. On the return trip back to the island my son and I passed through 3 thunderstorms. We had two more good days on the water and returned the boat to our hosts. 

It was great father/son time before we moved him in to his dorm at Tulane.  We had the opportunity to take our hosts out to dinner a few nights later to at least partially show our appreciation for an incredible act of kindness. 

I'm not a good photographer but here are enough pics to prove it happened. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Very nice for you and your son and very nice of @nolaegghead

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Sounds like a great time - and good luck to your son!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    That's fantastic! Kudos to Nola for his off the charts generosity and congrats to you for a wonderful trip with your son.
    Stillwater, MN
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Keep it down... nola might find out that he's a swell guy and get a big head about it :)

They are great folks. We have partaken of their hospitality ourselves on a past trip to NOLA. 

And looks like you had a fantastic trip with your son.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice Carey!  Good times @Foghorn for sure!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    He puts on a pretty good shindig I'm the Fall, too.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    He puts on a pretty good shindig I'm the Fall, too.
    You going?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Not bad for a dirty hippie who associates with the likes of @SGH .
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That's a lot of,shrimp to keister
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice, good times!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Wow ... He like many others here seem like outstanding folks.
    Seattle, WA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Thats Fantastic... Awesome post !!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Great trip...and way to go Nola.....Appreciate the pictures. Great memories for sure.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Outstanding!!! All the way around.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind comments.

@20stone, we ate almost all of it.  The rest ended up in omelets the next morning.

@Eggcelsior, I am unfortunately (due to work obligations) going to miss brisket camp again but I suspect my son will be there.  If you make it, say hi to him.  One of my regrets about the past year is that we didn't get to meet you while he was in school in Baltimore.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Hats off, fantastic gesture.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hellava post!  @nolaegghead I don't care what @JohnInCarolina & @SGH say You're a good dude Carey :plus_one:  @Foghorn If you hear banjo music approaching in Bayou paddle faster :giggle:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL, you got that right.  Although, as we passed through some unofficial "no wake" zones in the bayou, nola suggested we honor the handwritten sign because the locals in that area just shoot boaters who speed by their house and turn them into jerky.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @NPHuskerFL, you got that right.  Although, as we passed through some unofficial "no wake" zones in the bayou, nola suggested we honor the handwritten sign because the locals in that area just shoot boaters who speed by their house and turn them into jerky.
    thats like fishing at night up here near lobster traps, there best not be any lights on the boat ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you have alot of nice toys nola =) i want that little boat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2016
    Options
    @Foghorn I don't know if you read books....but there is an author "James Lee Burke" who writes detective novels......which all take place in that part of the country. Worth reading a few if you are into that sort of thing. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks @northGAcock!

San Antonio, TX

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Great people!!!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Awesome.  cheers to @nolaegghead   nice boat too.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We had a great time with your family.  I can't accurately express how nice it was hanging out with Foghorn, Foghorn Jr, and Foghorn the Matriarch. 

It was fun to just take off and boat 40 miles through one into the wild including one of the most dangerous lakes in storms in South Louisiana - Barataria Bay.  (To be honest, they're mostly all like that - big, shallow, and kick up in a storm).  Didn't want to scare you guys off, although you're obviously seasoned boaters, but it gets rough and I think my SWMBO was the only one "concerned". 

We'll have to do that trip, or something similar, at least once a year while your son is at Tulane.  We can mix it up...my buddy has a camp out in Empire and we could hit the mouth of the Mississippi.  Bit more driving, bit more danger (in a bay boat), but my middle name is "Danger". 

Anyway, we had a GREAT time, and it was fun to get away on a weekend to Grand Isle.  Cheers!
    Options
    You know, if you were to give him a bath, a haircut, and convert him into a conservative he would probably be an alright fellow ;)
    On a serious note, he is a great dude with a big heart. I absolutely adore his wife. She won me over instantly with some very fine BBQ'd shrimp =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Super cool story, that @nolaegghead seems like a really good dude.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Foghorn
    Options
    @nolaegghead, as for your better half being "concerned" about boating through a storm... In a small boat...  In a large bay... At full speed... That's her prerogative. My son and I had total trust in you - and we like adventures. 

Empire sounds like a good spot. We'd be up for that. I was also thinking that the Venice marina would be a good stop for some gas and refreshments at some time in the future.  It looks to be about 40 miles across the gulf from Grand Isle. 

San Antonio, TX