Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last night's pizza - spicy lamb sausage, goat's cheese, spinach

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
Had a successful pizza cook last night, I had left the dough to rest in the fridge for 24 hours then pulled 6 hours before the meal to warm to room temperature. The edge was the puffiest I've managed to get so far, it sprung nicely even though I had rolled it out flat rather than just pushing down.

Egg setup was PS feet up, standard grill, two firebricks on their edges, BGE pizza stone on the fire bricks. Egg at 400C for about 20 minutes to get the pizza stone warm, polenta (cornmeal) on the pizza stone to crisp up the base, cooked for 6 minutes. Consumed with a bottle of 2008 Ch. Civrac, an excellent Cotes de Bourg.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    That pie wouldn't last, very nice
    Phoenix 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Stormbringer: Looks fantastic! You cooked at 400? I had always read that pizzas that turned out this beautiful were cooked at higher temp, like 600. Wish I could get my pizzas to look like that.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Do you deliver ????.. That looks magazine worthy.. Fantastic looking pizza.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Stormbringer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Stormbringer: Looks fantastic! You cooked at 400? I had always read that pizzas that turned out this beautiful were cooked at higher temp, like 600. Wish I could get my pizzas to look like that.
    I cooked at 400°C, being British :). I think this is around 750°F for people on the other side of the pond.

It is important to raise the pizza stone into the dome, there was a marked improvement when I started doing this (cooking at a consistent temperature).
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Sorry, read too quickly. It all makes sense now.  :)
  • Stormbringer
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks, my wife takes great photgraphs. And it didn't last long on the plate. :)

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Thanks, my wife takes great photgraphs. And it didn't last long on the plate. :)

Yeah, catching a pic of it on the plate is like an action shot.

@GrateEggspectations, in general the best temp to cook a pizza depends on how thick it is.  Chicago deep dish pizzas are cooked around 350 (F) for example.  I try to make my pizzas thin but I don't make my own crust (yet) and I always overdo the toppings a little and through experimentation I've found 450-500 (F) to be the sweet spot for my pies. So, don't just assume that hotter is better - which is what I did initially.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Stormbringer
    Options
    What @Foghorn said ... it's all down to experimentation. I do ultra-thin crust with a small amount of toppings as I go with the "less is more" approach to pizzas. Converting to your scale, anything between 650F and 750F is great, especially getting the slightly burnt effect. If I was doing a thicker crust and/or more toppings, I cook at 525F and for longer.