Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Educate me: Beef loin flap meat steak.

Options
I was at Costco this evening, and I saw this cut there.  I have not seen it before. Price looks good, and the marbling looks nice, but have never heard of it before.  Is it a good cut to grill?   I googled the cut, and I am not finding any direct hits, but at the same time I do not know if I am.   I get plenty of flank results, but I am fairly sure it is not a flank steak.

Next time, buy or pass?  If buy, best method to cook it?

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No idea, but the marbling looks pretty nice there.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It's cut from the bottom sirloin. It's not mystery meat, it's actually really good. For best results, do not cook it past medium.  Preferably medium rare.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For clarity and all practical purposes, it's cut from the obliquus internus muscle. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    For clarity, it's cut from the obliquus internus muscle. 
    lots of big words there, now I need a dictionary
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    For clarity, it's cut from the obliquus internus muscle. 
    lots of big words there, now I need a dictionary
    Hey, that's my line ;)

Status- Standing by.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    No kidding now I need a dictionary, and cow part book.  

Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Ha Ha ....

My wife was looking over my shoulder at what I posted and said "you should have said 'a bovine anatomy and physiology book.' "

I looked at her and asked if that one would have pictures. She looked at me and gave me a look like "seriously??!!?!" 
    I shrugged and said "no".  
    But as I walked away to get a drink  I mumbled "yea...  Duh..."  (Of course I need pictures!)
    Large and MiniMax

• Sea2Ski
    Options

SGH said:
    It's cut from the bottom sirloin. It's not mystery meat, it's actually really good. For best results, do not cook it past medium.  Preferably medium rare.  
    Thanks @SGH  I have become a big fan of the reverse sear, finishing most beef rare. Would you go that route? Or hotter and direct?  They were not thick, but they were not thin either. Maybe 1- 1 1/4" thick. 
    Large and MiniMax

• SGH
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Thanks @SGH  I have become a big fan of the reverse sear, finishing most beef rare. Would you go that route? Or hotter and direct?  They were not thick, but they were not thin either. Maybe 1- 1 1/4" thick. 
    I would still reverse sear just to give them more time in the smoke. However if you are not a fan of smoke I would just run them direct. I prefer most meat smoked, as such I usually reverse or forward sear except for on the really small cuts. 1 1/4 is thick enough to benefit from a good indirect smoke before the finishing sear.  

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

SGH said:
    I would have to strongly disagree with @SGH on this one. Which... I have to say... Is a first. 

I personally never reverse sear any meat thinner than 3/4 inch. I really see no reason to... But then again... What do I know...
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    This cut is a favorite of mine. I cook it direct and it cooks very fast due to it being quite thin.  Try to cook it no more than medium.  I just wish Costco would stop blade tenderizing their meat.  I've also seen this cut at BJs but not too many other places.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    This is what we in New England use for steak tips. We cut into cubes like kebabs and marinate. Then grill direct. The French call it bavette.http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171400/steak-tips-its-a-new-england-thing/p1
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    This is what we in New England use for steak tips. We cut into cubes like kebabs and marinate. Then grill direct. The French call it bavette.http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1171400/steak-tips-its-a-new-england-thing/p1

We have a butcher here in STL that is from Boston.  He buys the "steak tips" by the ton and put them in a vacuum tumbler with a marinade.  He has about seven different types he keeps in the counter.  Great stuff--perfect for sandwich or salads.  If I'm in there right as he brings out a fresh batch, I'll have him vacuum pack a few pounds in separate bags for the freezer.  Super easy to defrost or to sous vide.
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Flap meat is the only meat I make fajitas with. It's fantastic marinated. I also use it for Korean BBQ Beef Bulgogi. Definitely worth it.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I marinate it. Cook it direct medium high. Cut it into strips and throw it in a flour tortilla and you have a carne asada burrito.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    It is my favorite cut of beef.  We call it "Bavette". I usually grill at high temp (sometime sous-vide and caveman style) and then let it rest.  You need to slice against the grain otherwise it is extremely tough.  That's the cut I usually use for tartare.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1186344/bavette-de-boeuf-sauce-a-lechalote

In in this post, I said that it was flank steak but it is flap... Poor translation:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143079/bavette-de-boeuf-modern-caveman-style

If if you marinate it, teriyaki is by far the best for this cut.

Don't hesitate, go for it.

Options
    We love it.  Make sure to cut across the grain when you slice it up. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Okay - thank you everyone. I appreciate the information and tips.  I think I will go for it the next time I am there. Why not right?
    Large and MiniMax

• chays99
    chays99 Posts: 41
    Options
    This is my go to cut for fajitas.  Well technically they aren't fajitas but you get it. It's a great cut