Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bavette de boeuf sauce à l'échalote

Options
paqman
paqman Posts: 4,670
edited September 2015 in EggHead Forum
Grilled the bavette 6 minutes @ 600F turning every 1.5 minutes.  I then let it rest for about 10 minutes in a hot covered plate.

Sautéed the shallots in butter for 20 minutes at medium/low heat then added some sherry vinegar to deglaze at the end.

I started the fries outside in room temperature oil.  Target temp on the fryer was 375F.  I removed the fries when they looked and tasted good.  I figure it was about 20 minutes total.  I was pleasantly surprised with the result (I usually double fry them).

Voilà! 

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Speak English dammit or I'm building a big wall. Flap?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    @paqmanMy French is beyond weak but even I can sort the cook out.  As always, most eggcellent cook and presentation.  "Bon appetit."  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I had to google those fancy words. I'm drooling about now.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Wow. Very cool, love it. 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • paqman
    Options
    Speak English dammit or I'm building a big wall. Flap?
    No need for a wall, just let the 'mericans do it!

Options
    @lousubcap @DMW @CPARKTX Thanks for the good comments!

I don't know WTF you cooked, but I'd eat it based on looks alone. I'm shallow. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    =) Excellent cook! Tres bien!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • paqman
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I am not sure about the english translation for bavette but I think it is flap steak.  It comes from the sirloin but it is a french cut.

Excellent cook 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Brilliant 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Impressive!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Over the top as usual @paqman

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    il ressemble beaucoup.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    The usual flourish here is to wrap something in bacon. When you start deglazing things that's serious cookery going on!  Well done!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The meat looks delicious. I imagine flipping every 90 secs with the egg going at 600F is not for the faint of heart :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Great as always - did I understand you dropped the fries into room temp oil and took them to 375ºF? I have always doubled, sounds interesting....
    caliking said:
    The meat looks delicious. I imagine flipping every 90 secs with the egg going at 600F is not for the faint of heart :)
    Ok if you leave her open.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2015
    Options
    paqman said:
    @theyolksonyou I am not sure about the english translation for bavette but I think it is flap steak.  It comes from the sirloin but it is a french cut.

It can be flap, flank or skirt. I think you can even use hanger. Not sure but I think it refers to the shape more than anything. Yours looked like centre cut flap to me. My favourite steak.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    STEAK AND FRIES . . . why didnt you say so at the start????  
    Very nice looking meal - I am with @Little Steven about this family of cuts being my fav  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • byrne092
    Options
    As usual, everything looks great! Is that mayo for the fries?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Little Steven
    Options
    byrne092 said:

Yet another reason for that wall we spoke about earlier

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paqman
    Options
    Great as always - did I understand you dropped the fries into room temp oil and took them to 375ºF? I have always doubled, sounds interesting...
    @Skiddymarker
    Yes.  I had seen this method on Cooks Illustrated a while ago but did not bother trying until someone here mentioned it a few weeks ago (can't remember who it was).  Apparently, it is a healthier method (as healthy as fries can be I guess...) because the oil absorption is reduced.

1. Peel potatoes
    2. Wash and dry
    3. Slice
    4. Put in room temperature oil
    5. Set temperature to 375F (some recipes suggest 350F)
    6. Shake every few minutes (some recipes suggest not to stir but in my experience, some fries will stick to each other if you don't)
    7. Wait until the fries look and taste good to remove them.
    8. Let the oil drain and season with salt or another spice mix (I used Schwartz's)

It takes about 20-25 minutes for the fries to be ready. 

It is as good as double frying if you only need one batch.

Options
    paqman said:

It can be flap, flank or skirt. I think you can even use hanger. Not sure but I think it refers to the shape more than anything. Yours looked like centre cut flap to me. My favourite steak.
    I searched the interweb and it looks like you are right.  It is flap steak.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/the-best-inexpensive-steak-for-the-grill-part-4-flap-meat-sirloin-tip.html

It is also my favorite cut.  The piece in the picture was actually 1/3 of the original piece of meat.  I purchased it at Costco and used the rest for tartare. It is the only cut I use for tartare because it is so tasty.

Options
    byrne092 said:

Yet another reason for that wall we spoke about earlier
    @byrne092 Yes

@Little Steven LOL mayo with fries is a must. It's a good thing I never posted the kool-aid version (mayo mixed with cherry kool-aid is always a winner with kids... don't ask)

Options
    Looks delicious!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cherry kool-aid mayo is also popular with kids here, although lime is a close second. once you make it for the kids, add some chipotle to the lime mayo and you have a great, yet different adult version of chipotle mayo. SWMBO is off to PNE with the grand kids today, will try the fries done from a cold start....Thanks again!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Fries came out excellent - although will have to learn to use the fryer all over again, time to finish is very dependent on amount in the basket I think.