Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Fry Oil

I am looking for an oil filter and a storage container to reuse my oil after deep frying.

Currently I have a coffee filter In a funnel and put the cold oil back into the oil container. This takes forever as I have to wait for the oil to cool and then it doesn't go through the filter as quick. 

Anybody have anything they use to store the oil. I'm thinking of some sort of stainless steel vessel. I wouldn't mind it it filter the oil too. I want to be able to hold a decent about of oil. I have seen some bit they don't hold enough oil. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2015
    I use a 5 gallon metal kerosene can. It's not SS but the outside is painted and the inside will never rust due to the oil. They cost about 50 bucks but I have been using the same one for over 30 years. Money well spent in my opinion. They are built very heavy and there is no chance of anything getting into the can. Just be sure that everyone knows that the can is being used for cooking oil instead of fuel. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited December 2015
    Like this one. Mine has a different spout, but it's 30+ years old  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    How long will the used oil last before going rancid? What is the optimal storage temp?
    I don't have a place for a 5 gallon container in the house & it gets 95 degrees or more, in the garage at times.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @SGH - That's a great idea, you can drain the oil into the can before it cools completely. Do you bother filtering when draining?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    @SGH - That's a great idea, 
    I'm kind of known for my intelligence ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited December 2015

DMW said:
    @SGH - That's a great idea, you can drain the oil into the can before it cools completely. Do you bother filtering when draining?
    On a serious note, yes sir, I filter it. The cleaner the oil, the better that it will keep. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    SGH said:

DMW said:
    On a serous note, yes sir, I filter it. The cleaner the oil, the better that it will keep. 
    What do you use to filter it? I'm annoyed by how slow coffee filters are. Just a regular strainer?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    DMW said:
    What do you use to filter it? I'm annoyed by how slow coffee filters are. Just a regular strainer?
    Brother D, I triple filter. I use 3 coffee filters. I know that it's slow, but the better  that the oil is filtered, the better that it will keep and taste the next use. Sorry my friend, but I haven't found a better way for this one. The cleaner the better. 

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    Brother D, I triple filter. I use 3 coffee filters. I know that it's slow, but the better  that the oil is filtered, the better that it will keep and taste the next use. Sorry my friend, but I haven't found a better way for this one. The cleaner the better. 
    Thanks, appreciate it. My fryer has a drain spout, wonder if I could just wrap filters around the drain. It has a screen, but it still lets stuff through. The problem I have when draining is I have to stand right there by it to stop it when the filter backs up. If I can get the coffee filters tight enough to the spout, I might be able to set the 5 gallon can underneath, open the spout and walk away. My fryer holds 4.5 gallons, so it takes awhile.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Durangler
    edited December 2015
    I've used one of thee in the past for pumping oil from the vessel. It worked pretty well, & has a strainer on the suction end. You could strain again on discharge side. Runs on 2 or 3 "D" size batteries. Eastman Outdoors.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    Disclosure:  I'm not a player in the deep fryer world (yet...) due to not wanting to deal with a bunch of these issues.

SGH - How long does it take you to filter gallons of oil this way?  That would seem to take days and only worth it if you could leave it unattended.

And, Durangler has a good question.  What is the shelf life of used oil and is it less if left in a hot garage?

How do you eventually dispose of a large quantity of used oil?

So far, this discussion has me not moving off my position of avoiding the mess of working with a deep fryer.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Well I have a 4 gal fryer. I use canola oil. I filter 2-3 times a year. I found that if I fry a lot of "Chicken Fried" items I filter it after each cook. If I do fish, it is the last fry and do a clean, rinse and new oil. That said in 5 years I have not ever removed the oil to store. I leave it in the fryer and seal it with foil.  
    I always start each season with new oil. And filter oil when it is warm, about 100-120f.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Durangler
    Hotch said:
    Well I have a 4 gal fryer. I use canola oil. I filter 2-3 times a year. I found that if I fry a lot of "Chicken Fried" items I filter it after each cook. If I do fish, it is the last fry and do a clean, rinse and new oil. That said in 5 years I have not ever removed the oil to store. I leave it in the fryer and seal it with foil.  
    I always start each season with new oil. And filter oil when it is warm, about 100-120f.

Hmm... Interesting. Thank you @Hotch

• SGH
    Fellows this went from "What can I store my oil in?" to all kind of of questions real quick. Let me take a shot at a few of them. 

How do you dispose of large quantities of used oil? 
    I own a good bit of property and as such I burn it in the fire pile. However you can put it in empty milk jugs or laundry soap bottles and throw it in the trash if burning is not a option. 

What is the shelf life of "used oil"? 
    Well this depends on many, many things.
    1. How many times that oil has been used.
    2. What "type" of oil that it is. Some keep better than others. In my experience and humble opinion, peanut oil keeps the best. 
    3. How well it was filtered or how clean that it is. 
    4. How close to the smoke point did you get the oil. 
    5. What type container that it is stored in. 
    6. The temperature that it is stored at. 
    7. What type of emulsifiers were used in the oil.
    8. What was cooked in the oil. Oil that has been used for frying turkey or chicken will never be as clean as oil that has been used for frying potatoes no matter how well that you filter it with home equipment. As such, it will not keep as well. 

The above is just some of the more important things that influence shelf life of used oil. However, there are many more. For the sake of brieviaty, I will exclude them. 

How long does it take to filter large quantities of oil?
    This will depend on your set up. I filter it while it's still hot (hence the kerosene can) and as such I can bleed down 4.5 gallons of hot oil in about 20 minutes. Give or take a little either way. If you filter it cold, it will take considerably longer. At 350-400 degrees, it will run through a coffee filter almost as easily as water. 

Back to shelf life for a minute if I may. For once used, triple filtered peanut oil, I have had no issues storing it for 6 months between 85-105 degrees. Below 85 degrees and it will go about a year before turning. For both the record and clarity, I am not one of the Fry Gods. However I have used the above for 30+ years without any issues at all when it comes to storing used oil. However for safety sake, if the Fry Gods tell you different, heed their wisdom in place of mine my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    As with any type and style of cooking there are many ways to achieve a great outcome. But as I was taught many years ago, if in doubt throw it and start with good and fresh.
    This what I follow as I cook anything.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Durangler
    Thank you fellas, for the info and the time taken to answer. It all makes sense.
    Much appreciated, indeed.  :)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Durangler said:
    Thank you fellas, for the info and the time taken to answer. It all makes sense.
    Much appreciated, indeed.  :)
    This might also be worth a read for you: http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil.html
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    @cssmd27 @Durangler

I would like to offer one last thing when it comes to oil for deep frying at high temps. Some of this is just my opinion and some of it is absolute fact. I will leave it in your hands to decide which is which. With that said, for everyday deep frying at high temps in the home setting, LouAna peanut oil is about as good as it gets and is reasonably priced. However for the epitome of deep fried goodness, try cottonseed oil that has been double refined and bleached. It is as clear and almost as thin as water. The results that it yields on fish and seafood is in a league of its own. However it comes at a significant price. Just thought I would share. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    There are paint filters available with a very fine mesh, typically used prior to pressurized spraying. I have used those in the past, keeps the oil clean, and the pour is a bit faster than most of the typical coffee filters. Works very well, and they are very inexpensive.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • I have only a small fryer now, 8 litre, I use cheese cloth in a standard colander. If the oil has lots of chunks (panko is nasty) I run it thru a standard mesh sieve first to keep the cloth cleaner and the flow faster. Cheese cloth can be reused after quick run thru the washer.  
    I leave the oil in my fryer and change it maybe twice a year. Currently using corn oil picked up for <$20US for 5 gallons. Agree with @SGH, peanut oil is ideal, but it is a tad pricey.

For disposal, very surprised no one has mentioned bio-fuel. There are guys here with modified bio fuel engines who will gladly come by and take it off your hands...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    I never even considered just storing the oil in the fryer until this thread. I think I'm going to try that next time, just cover with plastic wrap and foil after cooled. Need to figure out a safe place to keep the fryer where I won't be worried about one of the kids knocking it over and spilling oil all over the garage.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    For disposal, very surprised no one has mentioned bio-fuel. There are guys here with modified bio fuel engines who will gladly come by and take it off your hands...
    That is a great option if the service is available in your area. Down here you have to have a minimum of 55 gallons before they will come and pick it up though. I'm sure that this varies from location to location. But I agree, that is a great use for the oil if you have someone who will take it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Hotch
    This looks great for a storage vessel

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • DMW
    Hotch said:

@Hotch, yes it does, where did you find that? Having the whole lid lift off is great vs a small opening to hit when draining.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Hotch
    edited December 2015
    DMW said:
    Hotch said:

@Hotch, yes it does, where did you find that? Having the whole lid lift off is great vs a small opening to hit when draining.
    Check it out
    And food grade rated

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/miroil-30l-6-gallon-utility-pail/58130L.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CjwKEAiAy7SzBRD_lv7quOnr6XUSJAAOLkW6XhpQg4a3yGRYrI9voDD8ewx6MpbsVrsI6tEt9GVUkRoCAAXw_wcB
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    I think this and the 5 gal bucket head 200 micron screens may make my filtering easier 
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Hotch said:
    I think this and the 5 gal bucket head 200 micron screens may make my filtering easier 
    If I didn't already have the old kerosene jug I would jump on one of those.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    Hotch said:
    Ok, now where do you find the 200 micron bucket head screens?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Hotch
    edited December 2015
    @DMW Check this guys out for a 5 gal bucket head micron filter.
    They have food grade stuff for home brew filtering wart. Also veg oil.
    I am going to give them a call.

https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Grainger supply stores have them or can get them. Grainger is everywhere.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky