Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep Fry Oil

Options

Comments

• steventconners20
    Options
    SGH said:
    Like this one. Mine has a different spout, but it's 30+ years old  
    I found ones like this in 1,2,3, and 5 gallons on Amazon. I think this is the ticket for me. I will still use my funnel but now I'll be able to use hot oil which will drain faster. That you @SGH
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SGH said:
    Like this one. Mine has a different spout, but it's 30+ years old  
    I found ones like this in 1,2,3, and 5 gallons on Amazon. I think this is the ticket for me. I will still use my funnel but now I'll be able to use hot oil which will drain faster. That you @SGH
    My pleasure brother. I have honestly been using the same kerosene can for a little over 30 years. It hasn't failed me yet. I figure why mess with success now. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Great timing for this thread. I just ordered a 6 gallon RV works Cajun Fryer that will eventually be mounted to my Shirley trailer.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    Great timing for this thread. I just ordered a 6 gallon RV works Cajun Fryer that will eventually be mounted to my Shirley trailer.
    I'm glad that you went with the CF instead of the BC. You will not regret it. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'm glad that you went with the CF instead of the BC. You will not regret it. 
    I'm smart enough to listen to the fryer "demi" gods  ;)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Good call on the RV

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    I'm smart enough to listen to the fryer "demi" gods  ;)
    Where did you order yours from? When does it arrive? 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Ordered it from http://www.webstaurantstore.com/r-v-works-ff2-s-super-6-gallon-outdoor-cajun-deep-fryer-cooker/698FF2STANK.html

Price was best I could find. I don't need the stand because it will be on the trailer. I went ahead and grabbed the double sized basket, a turkey frying basket thing. And the drain tube.  I also picked up one of the pails that was listed in this thread.
  • Hotch
    Options
    I believe they offer a cover on the web site. May come in handy.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I'm going to have a cover built to cover the whole trailer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Hotch said:

I can't wait to see your trailer when it's finished.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Options
    Hotch said:

Will the Super Shirley be at Brisket Camp III?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    If you really want to try to keep the oil in better condition between cooks, you might try purging the air in the container with nitrogen. We did that in our large oil storage tanks at the food processing plant where I was employed. We had tanks that would hold 2 semi truck loads of oil and nitrogen generators to feed the 12 tanks in the bulk storage room. I wouldn't say it will keep the oil viable indefinitely but it certainly extended the useable life. If a tank that size would go rancid it would be a major expense.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Hotch said:

Will the Super Shirley be at Brisket Camp III?
    If I can be there, it will be there.  I'd say it's about 95% likely. But sometimes life happens.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

After having a "fried" turkey last year at Thanksgiving cooked in one of these I bought one and really like it.  I did Christmas last year, Thanksgiving this year, and everyone raved about it. Taste is as good as fried in oil and the cleanup in unbelievably easy.  Plus, I don't have the expense of oil or the issue of storing the used. I'm sure there are purists that would have fried turkey no other way than oil, but for me ease of cooking, cleanup, and taste works just fine.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-turkey-fryer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google+shopping&utm_campaign=google+merchant

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Hotch
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Webass said:

After having a "fried" turkey last year at Thanksgiving cooked in one of these I bought one and really like it.  I did Christmas last year, Thanksgiving this year, and everyone raved about it. Taste is as good as fried in oil and the cleanup in unbelievably easy.  Plus, I don't have the expense of oil or the issue of storing the used. I'm sure there are purists that would have fried turkey no other way than oil, but for me ease of cooking, cleanup, and taste works just fine.

http://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy-oil-less-turkey-fryer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google+shopping&utm_campaign=google+merchant

Isn't this just basically an outdoor soudo IR propane bucket easy bake oven? Nothing to do with deep frying?
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Webass said:I'm sure there are purists that would have fried turkey no other way than oil, 

I have a friend who has one of the Big Easy oil less fryers. It does it a good job but it's different. To me it produces birds that fall somewhere in between roasted and fried. Not saying that is a bad thing, just that it's different. I'm one of those who likes turkey cooked just about anyway imaginable. But I have to give the thumbs up to birds deep fried in 375 degree peanut oil. There is just something almost magical about it. 

Status- Standing by.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I don't fry often (though you wouldn't believe me if you were to see me....anyhow, I use a gallon pickle jar....and a fine mush china cap. I use the cap to strain many things including juice pulp and whole ingredients when making Worcestershire sauce. It is stainless and cleans up nicely in the dish washer.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,353
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Webass said:

Agreed. I've had one of those for a few years. I really like it when I just want a simple roasted bird (I do chickens 99% of the time) and don't want to or have time to mess with coals and smoke. It couldn't be simpler, quicker, and easier to use.

I also like that it collects the juices from the bird so I can use those.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hotch
    edited December 2015
    Options

I'm not saying it is a bad cooker. In fact it has great reviews for the most part. I'm saying that some marketing idiot convinced his or her boss that if they use the word "fryer" they will sell a boat load of them. With most purchaser's thinking that they will end up with a protein that is as good as "Deep Fried".

For me it is just another advertising mis-direction from a marketing idiot.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We do a lot of deep frying and I agree about peanut oil. We deep fry at least once a week. We, also, usually leave the oil in the fryer and clean it about once a month. I have two different sizes that we use, depending on what and how much we are cooking. If I were to drain and store, I drain it back into the original container when it is empty and store in the fridge in the garage. Under refrigeration, it will keep for a long time. Either way, the main thing I notice is that each subsequent cook will take a little bit longer to get done, so grab your Thermopen, especially if your cooker has pre-set programs. You may have to over-ride them. Also, when re-using oil, add a few splashes of fresh oil to perk it up. I also time clean up after messy cooks that are prone to leave a lot of crumbs.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hotch said:

I'm not saying it is a bad cooker. In fact it has great reviews for the most part. I'm saying that some marketing idiot convinced his or her boss that if they use the word "fryer" they will sell a boat load of them. With most purchaser's thinking that they will end up with a protein that is the same as "Deep Fried".

I fixed your comment.   "As good as" is totally debatable. Some may like this cooking method better than frying. Doesn't change the fact it isn't a fryer and will not produce the same flavor as frying. 
  • Hotch
    Options
    Hotch said:

I'm not saying it is a bad cooker. In fact it has great reviews for the most part. I'm saying that some marketing idiot convinced his or her boss that if they use the word "fryer" they will sell a boat load of them. With most purchaser's thinking that they will end up with a protein that is the same as "Deep Fried".

I fixed your comment.   "As good as" is totally debatable. Some may like this cooking method better than frying. Doesn't change the fact it isn't a fryer and will not produce the same flavor as frying. 

Yes sir, I agree. Thank you
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options

@Thatgrimguy So here the pics of the S/S 234 micron oil screen I told you about. It has a smaller diameter than a 5 gal bucket, leaving almost a 1/2" on the sides. With the screen material on the bottom and up the sides, it will filter my fry oil a lot faster than the funnel and cone filter element.

I must say they have damn fast service.

I have oil that is due to filter. So I will try it out this weekend.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Options
     I got Bevo in one of the pics!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    What do you use to filter it? I'm annoyed by how slow coffee filters are. Just a regular strainer?
    Brother D, I triple filter. I use 3 coffee filters. I know that it's slow, but the better  that the oil is filtered, the better that it will keep and taste the next use. Sorry my friend, but I haven't found a better way for this one. The cleaner the better. 

Could you not increase the throughput by using a series of progressively finer sieves and maybe line the last one before the coffee filter with cheesecloth? I throw a lot of oil out and would really like to get more life out of it. Use mainly grapeseed and canola which aren't that expensive but still. Had a rough plan in my little brain and wondered if anyone had tried something like this.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hotch
    Options
    SGH said:
    DMW said:
    What do you use to filter it? I'm annoyed by how slow coffee filters are. Just a regular strainer?
    Brother D, I triple filter. I use 3 coffee filters. I know that it's slow, but the better  that the oil is filtered, the better that it will keep and taste the next use. Sorry my friend, but I haven't found a better way for this one. The cleaner the better. 

Could you not increase the throughput by using a series of progressively finer sieves and maybe line the last one before the coffee filter with cheesecloth? I throw a lot of oil out and would really like to get more life out of it. Use mainly grapeseed and canola which aren't that expensive but still. Had a rough plan in my little brain and wondered if anyone had tried something like this.

Yes I will. I elected to start with the 234 micron and gauge which would be next. A courser or tighter screen. I was told a 400 is what I needed. But I want a finer screen then that to start off with.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    The filtration on Pitco & Frymaster are a simple two stage system. First it passes through a washable screen to remove larger particulates and then finally through fryer oil paper filter media. Both available online. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @Hotch I understand the design now. Looks great. I'm looking forward to hearing your review on how it filters after you get the chance to try it. IE do you wish you had gotten the 400.
  • Hotch
    Options
    @Hotch I understand the design now. Looks great. I'm looking forward to hearing your review on how it filters after you get the chance to try it. IE do you wish you had gotten the 400.
    If the 234 backs up going solo, I will try the 400 for a pre-screen.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX