Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coopers BBQ Ft. Worth

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum
Stopped in to coopers for a little lite lunch today. image

Coopers is one of those places that isn't on the Top whatever lists but I always enjoy it for what it is. Anyplace you choose your meat from an open pit by saying "I'll have about 3 inches of that fatty brisket, a beef rib and some sausage" and the dude pulls it off the pit, cuts it and dunks it in a pot of sauce, is ok with me. Not the best, but always good.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks pretty damn solid from where I'm sitting.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sounds like my kind of place. Looks like a winner to me. I certainly wouldn't pass it up.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Except Scotty would like to see about 9 more dino bones on that plate for his voracious appetite ;)
    SGH said:
    Sounds like my kind of place. Looks like a winner to me. I certainly wouldn't pass it up.
    It's definitely your kind of place. I didn't get a picture of the pit because it needed to be restocked but they usually have 150 lbs of meat to choose from at a time. Huge chops, whole chickens, briskets, smoked sirloin, beef ribs, pork ribs, sausage. It's a carnivore's delight
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here is the pit you order from:

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2014
    Options
    That cast iron pot at the end is full of thier sauce. They just dunk everything in there and throw it on a red plastic tray. The weigh it all inside and you sit at picnic tables and eat it off the tray.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Wow, just wow!
  • bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31
    Options

Coopers is one of those places that isn't on the Top whatever lists but I always enjoy it for what it is. Anyplace you choose your meat from an open pit by saying "I'll have about 3 inches of that fatty brisket, a beef rib and some sausage" and the dude pulls it off the pit, cuts it and dunks it in a pot of sauce, is ok with me. Not the best, but always good.
    Cooper's is good.  Not the best I've had in Fort Worth...that would be Billy's Oak Acres on N. Las Vegas Trail just north of 820 but I like it.  Cooper's shows up quite often as one of the tops in TX BBQ but they're referring to the location in Llano most often.  If you haven't had Hard 8 it's very similar to Cooper's.  There's a location in Roanoke and Coppell.

Also, if you like spicy salsa next time you're in Cooper's look for a salsa called Damn Good Heat.  They have a habanero garlic (big kick, be careful but taste is great) and a jalapeno garlic.  They're awesome.
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Damn! I walked right past that place about a week ago. I wish I would have known. I ate at the steakhouse just next to it in the old hotel.
  • bdub60
    Options
    Damn! I walked right past that place about a week ago. I wish I would have known. I ate at the steakhouse just next to it in the old hotel.
    Cattlemen's or H3 Ranch?
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Angelo's and Railhead Smokehouse (the original) both close to downtown are good also. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    bdub60 said:

Cattlemen's or H3 Ranch?

H3.......looked like a nicer place.
  • bdub60
    Options
    Cattlemen's or H3 Ranch?
    Yeah, I like H3.  Nice enough to treat yourself but not overly fancy.  I've never eaten at Cattlemen's but I just always assumed it was a hokey tourist trap kind of place just from the outside.  I've heard it's okay but I've never wanted to try it.

Did you by chance have the pork taco appetizer at H3?  They're fantastic.
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    bdub60 said:
    Cattlemen's or H3 Ranch?
    Yeah, I like H3.  Nice enough to treat yourself but not overly fancy.  I've never eaten at Cattlemen's but I just always assumed it was a hokey tourist trap kind of place just from the outside.  I've heard it's okay but I've never wanted to try it.

Nope, I had the small sirloin / enchilada combo.  The steak wasn't that great, but overall it was a good meal.  Cool place.

Then to take in the whole cowboy tourist cowboy experience, I looked at $1500 cowboy hats at Leddy's.  Then I went to the boot shop about 1/2 mile north of there on the left and saw boots made out of elephant, anteater, ostrich, hippo, rhino, and just about every else but dodo bird.  Went to the stockyard museum and the a few of the other shops as well.

First place I went was the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for the tour.  I didn't think I was actually going to see the process, but they showed the WHOLE process live from the walkways above.  Absolutely fascinating.  I would say that was the highlight of the trip, but I was there for a week of flight training at Bell Helicopter.

• dayzed&confused
    Options
    I have been to Coopers in Llano, Tx countless times. Good smoked meat but I don't care for their sauce, just a personal thing I guess as I see others wolf it down. My favorite thing there is their pecan pie cobbler. If you ever go try the cobbler, it's good!
    San Angelo, texas
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've been to Llano only once but it was worth it, and I have to say is my favorite BBQ place by location and the food is top notch too. Food is a close second to the McRib :))

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @stlcharcoal my wife used to do investigations at BEP and Mint locations. Those machines are nuts!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    That pit looks like a dream come true man!!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    My kind of place! :ar!
  • stlcharcoal
    Options

I ate at a place called Lone Star BBQ on N. Beach Street in Fossil Creek.  I'm not a Texas style BBQ guy, so I don't really have a taste for it.  It got good reviews on Yelp and was 5 minutes from my hotel.

Also got to visit Tom up at the Ceramic Grill Store in Denton last Thurs......that was fun too.  Got me a spider and wok!

I hit up IKEA on Thursday night, and took some pictures at Dealey Plaza before leaving town Friday.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@stlcharcoal First Welcome to Texas. I hope you had a great time. 

Ft Worth has a lot of great BBQ, next trip to Ft Worth Stock Yards I recommend you try Joe T Garcia's for some great Tex Mex fajitas and enchiladas. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have been to Coopers in Llano, Tx countless times. Good smoked meat but I don't care for their sauce, just a personal thing I guess as I see others wolf it down. My favorite thing there is their pecan pie cobbler. If you ever go try the cobbler, it's good!
    I like it all. Llano is definitely the best of all the coopers. The Ft. Worth and New Braufels Coopers cook on gas pits. Llano still cooks over oak the old school way. 

They are all fun to visit though. Love the huge pits and they are all good in their own way. 

• bdub60
    Options
    bdub60 said:
    Cattlemen's or H3 Ranch?

Nope, I had the small sirloin / enchilada combo.  The steak wasn't that great, but overall it was a good meal.  Cool place.

Then to take in the whole cowboy tourist cowboy experience, I looked at $1500 cowboy hats at Leddy's.  Then I went to the boot shop about 1/2 mile north of there on the left and saw boots made out of elephant, anteater, ostrich, hippo, rhino, and just about every else but dodo bird.  Went to the stockyard museum and the a few of the other shops as well.

First place I went was the Bureau of Engraving and Printing for the tour.  I didn't think I was actually going to see the process, but they showed the WHOLE process live from the walkways above.  Absolutely fascinating.  I would say that was the highlight of the trip, but I was there for a week of flight training at Bell Helicopter.

Small world, I actually work at the BEP in the visitor center.  Might of even talked to you at some point.  HAHA!  Glad to hear you had a good time and enjoyed your tour.
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • stlcharcoal
    edited November 2014
    Options

Small world, I actually work at the BEP in the visitor center.  Might of even talked to you at some point.  HAHA!  Glad to hear you had a good time and enjoyed your tour.
    I was there 10/28 about an hour before close. Talked to the girls and the upstairs and downstairs desk, the guy on the shuttle, and guards on my way in and out. It was a great tour and experience......could have stayed another hour watching the machines perform all those functions.