Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reminder - Salado in 150 days

Options

Yes, 150 days and counting until the Salado Eggfest.

And Yes, that's not very far in the future. So you may want to start thinking about your schedule for that weekend (March 14, 2015), what you are going to cook, who is coming you, where you are going to stay, and how you are going to bring home one of the Demo Eggs if you are looking to take advantage of the Demo Egg Discount (not yet known but will be generous, I'm sure).

And no, we're not taking on-line registrations yet. I'll let you know soon enough.

http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com/

See you in Salado.

Spring "Fest Scribe" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I'll be there :)]
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm coming. Can I bring Unit #7?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'm coming. Can I bring Unit #7?

Be more than happy to have it at the Fri night and Sat night party at the Inn. But not at the EggFest itself Sat at the Park.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    No problem my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:
    No problem my friend.

Sure hope you are going to come and #7 very welcome at the parties (thats where all the fun is).

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The second half of our sabbatical year will be in Albuquerque, NM.  Google maps says that's a 10.5-hr drive to Salado.  

I think I can do it in 7.5.  See you all there. :)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Options
    Have been told that we will get the 4 Minis to give away by drawing as we have in the past several years. Now I have ask (no answer yet) to get 3 New Mini Max instead to give away free in drawings. We are a 100% FREE Fest to cooks and tasters (no charges of any kind and no cost for raffle/drawings).

• SGH
    Options
    @‌Mickey
    I honestly am going to try to attend. I have heard that its a blast!!

Status- Standing by.

• tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Nearest airport?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I think I just got the green light to attend. SWMBO says tonight, "you want to take a personal weekend, right?" I knew where this was going, so I say "why do you ask?"

She wants to head to Denver for a girls weekend to visit a friend for a birthday end of Feb. I think we can negotiate. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

tcampbell, we had a guy arrive by private helicopter last year, but the closest commercial airport is Austin. 

Depending on where you're flying from, DFW might be a better choice for flight choices, prices and timing.  If you select Austin, you will need to rent a car and drive north on I-35 (there's also a toll road if you prefer) about 50 miles.  If you select DFW you will need to rent a car and drive about 150 miles south on I-35.  If you fly into Houston you have to purchase a wagon and a team of mules and hire a wagonmaster who knows the trail and is a good shot. 

I think DFW might be the better choice.

See you in Salado.

Spring "Fest Scribe" Chicken

• Spring Chicken
    Options

DMW, you should be able to talk her into Salado.  Tell her some of the guys wear kilts.

Spring "Kilt Wearing" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You "skirts" are always struttin' your stuff....  You should've sold cars, oh, sorry, that's Mickey.
    Options
    Sign me up, I will be there.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    We'll definitely be there.  We invested too much in St. Patrick's Day decorations last year!  Need to put it all to good use again in Salado  ;)
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Isn't the Killeen airport closer?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mickey
    edited October 2014
    Options

Isn't the Killeen airport closer?

Killeen is about 30 miles but we always use Austin.

• travisstrick
    Options
    I'm getting a room this year so I don't have to drag mama to the after party. She was not pleased with my condition last year.
  • DMW
    Options
    I'm getting a room this year so I don't have to drag mama to the after party. She was not pleased with my condition last year.
    Best place to stay? Cab ride or stumbling distance.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • travisstrick
    Options
    @DMW‌ I'm doing the holiday inn express in salado. 3 min cab ride and it's reasonable.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Inn on the Creek is adjacent to the pre/post game festivities - http://www.inncreek.com/

They usually have a block of rooms for the EggFest, but I don't think that Mickey has turned them loose yet.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Mickey
    Options
    20stone said:
    Inn on the Creek is adjacent to the pre/post game festivities - http://www.inncreek.com/

They usually have a block of rooms for the EggFest, but I don't think that Mickey has turned them loose yet.
    They should be ok now to rent. Call Will at the Inn.

• Mickey
    Options
    @DMW‌ I'm doing the holiday inn express in salado. 3 min cab ride and it's reasonable.
    Ok Travis, that was a police car and it was a night in jail....... 

• DMW
    Options
    Anyone know if there are shuttle services from major airports to Salado hotels? Or just cab it?

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    DMW said:
    Anyone know if there are shuttle services from major airports to Salado hotels? Or just cab it?

Mickey gives out free rides if your willing to sit in the bed and hold onto the eggs.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    DMW said:

I'm more than happy to shuttle from Killeen airport to Salado.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    That offer is good for anyone.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    DMW said:

Mickey gives out free rides if your willing to sit in the bed and hold onto the eggs.
    I thought that was what @henapple was for.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

DMW... The only  way to get to Salado is drive.  A Taxi would cost you enough to buy a couple of new Eggs.  There's no shuttle.  The village has less than 2,000 population, not enough for a bus station or even a rental car agency that I'm aware of.  It's 50 miles from Austin (60 from the airport in Austin) and 150 from Fort Worth (160 from DFW Airport).  You might catch a ride down and back from an Egghead but you may have to sit in the back of the truck among ice chests and Egg Tools.  I would rent a car either way.  Then you're in control.  Trust me, it's worth it.

Or you could hitch a ride.  But then you're definitely NOT in control.  Trust me, don't trust anyone.

Spring "You Can't Get There That Way Or This Way" Chicken

Spring Texas USA