Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Failure adapting Mickey's chicken wing recipe

Options
Always a fan of @Mickey Double Carbonized Lump Chicken Wings, I attempted to reproduce the elements of that cook with a simple chicken broth. Threw the back, vent flap and fatty skin trim from a spatchcock into a one quart pot of water, put it on simmer in the outdoor pit then forgot about it until this morning. 
As you can see I got the color/colour correct, had a great sauce shimmer, but could not get the broth out of the pot. 
Even the dog did not want this cook failure, and she isn't too fussy. 

Lucky the electric side burner was on low and sitting on a stone surface. 
Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    No fog of adult supervisory beverages in the equation??  Must have been overcome with the euphoria of the A's nail-biter yesterday that set the stage for such a culinary delight.

and yes-you were lucky but that may be the sign that the tide has turned even with the A's.  Be thankful for the chance to post about the brain aneurism and not a catastrophe. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I know it's probably too late for this little "lemons in to lemonade" moment but i think this would have made an excellent glaze for mickey's wings
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @lousubcap - I wish I could have blamed it on the beer or other suitable adult beverage, put these on and went to #2 sons's for #3 granddaughter's 1st Birth Day - came home and just went to bed - totally slipped my mind - what SWMBO referred to as having a senior's moment. 
    A's will be on the tube at 1:00PDT - getting the decks cleared, Go A's

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I know it's probably too late for this little "lemons in to lemonade" moment but i think this would have made an excellent glaze for mickey's wings
    See - you always see the silver lining....great idea!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    May need to do a demo cook at the Salado EggFest. Yours look close and the DOG test is always a clear measurement.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    The "Family Feud" comment:
    Clap clap clap...
    "Woohoo! That looks tasty! I can't wait to chisel a piece of that and eat it!"
    Flint, Michigan
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Looks like you hit a home run with that one. I'm sure it will have the @SGH seal of approval.

=))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    bud812 said:
    Looks like you hit a home run with that one. I'm sure it will have the @SGH seal of approval.

=))
    Maybe something that even @SGH would not try, ya think? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌
    Brother skiddy I'm honored to give this attempt the SGH seal of approval on effort alone. Good try my friend!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌
    And just for the record. I would have made a attempt at eating it brother skiddy ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Most eggcellent-gotta love the humour (GWN flare!) .  Go A's!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2014
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Most eggcellent-gotta love the humour (GWN flare!) .  Go A's!
    You Sir, are becoming a gentleman, as you expand your knowledge of the Queen's English, rather than that General Washington inspired American drivel. The Halo's must be cheating or are they really that close to you know who.....14-3? A's still 0-0, GO A's

@Mickey - If we did a duo demo cook, your wings and my sauce, it would have to be on day with a strong wind from the north east - otherwise the whole town would be smogged in.