Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wok Help

Options
I know there have been lots of discussions on this but I have read too many and ended up confused on what is best so please help me. I want to buy a wok for my Large. Probably get the long handle but need thoughts on 1. Size?, 2. Flat bottom or not? And 3. Which of the myriad of kind of woks on the wok shop do you like. Too many choices. Thanks so much in advance for your help.
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    @BuckeyeBob‌ Type in "San Francisco wok shop". Choose carbon steel wok 16inch round bottom. You will also need a spider from ceramic grill store. Season it with chives and grape seed oil (I think). A bamboo wok brush is also almost a must for cleaning it. Hope this helps.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

For the large.  14 or 16", carbon steel, round bottom, hand hammered with D handles.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-hand-hammered.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    edited May 2014
    Options

The long handle (pao) wok is for tossing.  14" would be the largest I would go.  I have the 12" for the small egg.

http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/wok-our-hand-hammered.html

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I gotta get a pao!!! Especially since i cook on the chimney starter, not the egg. Agreed on the size. 14" is plenty. Was great for my family of four. 14" with D handles if cooking on the large with a spider.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    I dont have a spider but my WOO works great with the Wok.  I also got mine for the san fran wok shop.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    Like someone else said, I got the carbon steel 16" wok with D handles from The Wok Shop in San Francisco, that's what was recommended to me on this forum and it works fantastic. I did purchase a spider as well and it sits perfectly near the flames.

Get yourself a good pair of welding gloves for removing the wok from the fire. You'll need to season the wok as well, find video's on the net on how to do it. I wouldn't recommend a handled wok as it can interfere with getting the wok lower into the firebox.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Question for the pros - is the spider or woo absolutely required for wok cooking on an egg? I have a LBGE and would love to get a wok. I was thinking that having the stock bge grate with the wok on top would work since the gaps in between the grate are fairly wide. Sure, the spider/woo looks more like a conventional wok setup, but is it necessary?

Maybe the spider/woo allows the bottom of the wok to get closer to the coals?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    The Village Idiot (a member here) I believe recommended the Wok Shop a while ago.  I was lurking then, when he would post his wok cooks, and they inspired me to buy one.  14" with two wire handles. I tried a wok ring but eventually got the spider thing. Buying the wok was one of the best things I have done for entertaining hungry engineers.  There is only so much brisket and butt one can cook.  Blasphemy, I know.

There was a six month period where everyone was posting woks cooks.  It was quite a thing.  Taught me everything I knew about them. 

And, now I am thinking I will get out the wok tonight..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Carolina Q
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Question for the pros - is the spider or woo absolutely required for wok cooking on an egg? 
    No. When I used the large for wok cooks, I put my 14" D-handled wok directly on the coals. Worked well for stir frying.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Focker said:

The long handle (pao) wok is for tossing.  14" would be the largest I would go.  I have the 12" for the small egg.

If you must wok over charcoal, a chimney starter arrangement works until you get a Tao Thai charcoal cooker (@Carolina_Q - I think that is what you meant). When using a wok you want to be able to pull foods up the sides to a cooler part of the pot, on an egg the whole thing is very close to the same temp. The egg is just not the best way to use a wok. Taos, sort of a special egg base made for woks, keeps the heat under the wok. Unfortunately, the egg allows too much heat to escape around the wok, not the easiest or safest to cook with, unless you always cook while wearing welders gloves. A propane burner works much better. 
    My Dad always said "In a pinch you can drive a nail with a shovel, a hammer just works so much better. "
    The Wok shop - great place to get a wok. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NDG
    Options
    I just found this picture online when searching for "tao thai charcoal cooker" . . . does anyone have this in their egg for their wok?  I am happy with my setup, but now I am curious . . 

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I  have been using a Tao for about 4 years with a round bottom wood handle 14" wok and like the control the handle gives me.  Never thought to put it in the BGE because it is a self defeating idea IMHO. The Tao has been used in Asia for many centuries
  • NDG
    Options
    I am spending my money elsewhere . . .but as a FYI . .  here is link to purchase one . . http://importfood.com/dao_cooker.html
    Columbus, OH

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @NDG - looks like one of these in an XL....

A propane burner provides as much heat with better temp control, but it is not cooking with charcoal.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Focker
    Options

@Skiddymarker,

For the large, I agree.  The size of the fire and the wok's closer location to it, cause the sides of the wok to be closer to the temp of the bottom. 

It is different on the small.  I lay the wok on the grate standard setup.  With the smaller fire, and the wok's location getting more cool air, it allows the sides to be lower in temp.  I tilt the wok over the fire, and can put the high heat where it is needed, then toss, and repeat.

I'm confused?  The Weber chimney starter is my Tao.  What advantages does a Tao offer, that the chimney starter cannot?   

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    My thoughts on @BuckeyeBob‌ 's questions:
    1. Size for a LBGE - 14" or 16" - I see a ton of recipes sized for a 14" wok and can't recall seeing any specifically for a 16 but it is nice to have a little extra room particularly towards the end of cooks that combine several parts before plating.
    2. Flat or round bottom - if you think you might want to use it on a stove top sometime you might consider a flat one. With a round you'll want a wok ring to hold it at times. I prefer round but have both but I don't really think this is big deal either way.
    3. Which woks do I like - I think the long handle vs D ring handles is a personal choice based on how you will use it (example - do you toss your food). As for type, carbon steel is great and I have one of their 14" cast iron ones that is also nice. Their cast iron is thinner walled than their carbon steel ones so it heats even faster but if you think you want a wok that can take abuse go with carbon steel as the cast iron is kind of fragile in comparison.

Since skiddy mentioned a Thai cooker here's a pic of mine when I picked it up:
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Most of my wok cooking is done on it.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    @NDG - that pic is my Tao & my XL lol. I put it in the XL and closed the lid to snuff it out. I don't cook with it in the XL. :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Focker said:

@Skiddymarker,

For the large, I agree.  The size of the fire and the wok's closer location to it, cause the sides of the wok to be closer to the temp of the bottom. 

It is different on the small.  I lay the wok on the grate standard setup.  With the smaller fire, and the wok's location getting more cool air, it allows the sides to be lower in temp.  I tilt the wok over the fire, and can put the high heat where it is needed, then toss, and repeat.

I'm confused?  The Weber chimney starter is my Tao.  What advantages does a Tao offer, that the chimney starter cannot?   

Basically the way you use your SBGE (or a mini), it is a tao. The only advantages that come to mind of a tao over the chimney starter are safety and a smaller use of charcoal. Taos sit on a pail full of sand, acts to stabilize the fire pot - a chimney starter not so much. The tao fire box is shallower, keeping the heat close to the pot, the starter will settle away from the pot as it burns - but, if you are making only one dish, the starter works just fine. 
  • Focker
    Options
    Thanks, I get the security issue.  But I have yet to tip it over.  If it does, there is an empty grill and concrete for insurance.  Cleanup looks to be much easier with the chimney.  The lump completely burns, stow when cool.    
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    wok set up for my turkey fryer

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fence0407
    Options
    @tjv - never thought to use my turkey fryer like that! Thanks for the tip!
    Cumming, GA  

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    That...is a great idea for stir frying!

Focker said:

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options

I got a 16" wok from ceramic grill store for my large BGE. It woorks well with my woo2.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-spider/lgspiderwokking.html

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/woks-wok-accessories/

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I use my rusty antique chimney starter with attached wok ring. Used three U-nuts to raise the wok up a bit for airflow until I found a ring that fit the starter. Might try raising the charcoal grate a bit so I don't have to load it with so much lump. Would love to have a propane burner or even a Thai cooker, but don't.image

Or maybe I should get one of these. 
    :Dimage

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    tjv said:
    wok set up for my turkey fryer

Tom, nice setup.

Have you considered fabricating a wok ring for either the Weber chimney starter or Weber Rapid Fire chimney starter? 

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    @tjv - looks like my setup. You can use long wooden handled woks with the propane burner. Easy to toss. Preheat and cool down time is measured in seconds. 

Wok 101 in a quick 5 minute read. this indicates a turkey fryer/propane burner and charcoal grill both provide the high heat required. 
  • Focker
    Options

Here is a pic of the smaller Rapid Fire chimney with 12" wok.  It will most definitely wok, haven't actually used it yet.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    Wow, I hadn't had a chance to check this in a few days and blown away by all the information, suggestions, and discussions. Thanks so much for all the help and I look forward to posting some stir-fry pics.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • fence0407
    Options
    So @BuckeyeBob‌ what did you end up deciding on? 14 or 16? Long handle or D handles?
    Cumming, GA