Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie's First Smoked Pork Tenderloin

Options
lantzwr
lantzwr Posts: 229
edited October 2013 in Pork
Just took two smoked pork tenderloins off the egg.  Rubbed them with a coffee rub I found on here, cooked them indirect for 2 hours at 300 F, with Stubs 100% Natural Wood Chips (Oak, Hickory, Apple Wood), took them off at 160 F.  Have not cut into them yet, but here is what they look like.  Will post another picture once the rest of dinner is ready.
RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP

Comments

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Looks good nice bark from what I can see 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    The incredible edible PIG, nice cook
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice Friday night cook. Lookin forward to the sliced pic

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good.  I cooked a couple of those the other day.  Pulled them off at 135 F.  Cherry and apple wood.
    Options
    Thanks all.

@nolaegghead I wanted to take it off at 140, but if my wife saw any pink on the inside she would not eat it.  I should have taken mine off early, and left hers on longer.  I will do that next time I cook two.

Boiler UP
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Here it is sliced up.  A little dry, but I expected that since it is a much leaner piece of meat, but it sure does have lots of flavor.

Boiler UP
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice lookin smoke ring. I agree with Nola on the 140* degree pull. Your wife sounds like mine a couple years ago. Everything had to be cooked to no pink. That changed after she ate a bite of mine done to medium and realized what she was missing.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lantzwr
    Options
    Very nice lookin smoke ring. I agree with Nola on the 140* degree pull. Your wife sounds like mine a couple years ago. Everything had to be cooked to no pink. That changed after she ate a bite of mine done to medium and realized what she was missing.
    Thanks.  I have slowly converted her from well done to Medium over the last 20 years for Beef.  No way will she ever do pink in Pork.

Boiler UP
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good. Pull at 140, tent and let rest 10 minutes. It will cruise up. Serve your wife the end pieces if she thinks its not done enough in the middle.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    160º is a bit overcooked for me. Love that coffee rub, always provides a nice color. Pull at an even lower temp, 125º, rest them for a few minutes and give them a nice medium high sear in a CI pan. Crunches the bark and allows you to fine tune the final temp, to around 140-145º. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Doing pork on the egg changed my family's misconceptions about pork. I would take it off at 140 max and just let it rest. My wife is the same way. Just let her try yours and then hers. Problem solved