Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Ribs (Pic Heavy)

Decided to make some Short Ribs today.  This has always been one of the best things I cook, at least according to my family.  However, I had never made them on the Egg.  So, I got out the Dutch Oven and went to work.  The recipe I use is Asian-inspired and is a great way to make this cut of meat.

Here are the ingredients for the sauce.  Soy, Rice Vinegar, Sriracha, Crushed Red Pepper, Brown Sugar, Ginger, garlic, lemon, scallions and lemongrass.

Here are the Short Ribs.  My butcher sells them both regular and boneless and while I normally prefer bone-in for any cut of meat, for some reason, these are even better with the boneless.  

I set up the Egg for 350 and seared the ribs to brown them on all sides

After searing, I reset the Egg to Indirect with the Platesetter in legs up.  I also decided to set up the DigiQ to help maintain the temp.  I put the grid on top of the legs and threw everything in the Dutch Oven

I let them cook for about 3 hours.  You then take out the meat and strain the sauce.  You reduce it by about 2/3 after adding hoisin sauce and Orange Juice and put back on the Egg now at 425 degrees and let the sauce glaze on the meat.  Takes about 10-15 minutes and then they are ready to eat.

We served them up with some Brown Rice and Broccoli.  So good.

While I thought my Short Ribs were good before, doing them on the Egg took them to the next level.  I decided not to add any wood but the meat and sauce still retained enough smoke flavor from the lump to make them taste great.  This will be my go-to way of cooking these from now on.
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• Those look good. I've been jonesing for some korean short rib tacos after trying them off of one of the popular food trucks in LA. Do you think these would be prepared the same way for tacos?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    jerkchicken if your refering to the KOGI truck yah they prepar them in a similar way
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Om nom nom!

Fantastic!
  • YAA mmmm I'm gonna have to try this

LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Looking good Bob! that sauce looks wonderfully thick. Several questions if I may:

-What about cooking on the Egg made the improvement?
    -Did you cook in the DO with the lid off?
    -I was given the CI BGE DO as a gift, but as the owner of two Le Creuset DO's I am wondering how easy is it to keep the outside surface clean? I've always found the outside finish harder to clean than the inside and I was wondering about smoke staining.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Those look and sound great.  The sauce sounds incredible.  Definitely bookmarking for my next try at shorties. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jfm0830 said:
    Looking good Bob! that sauce looks wonderfully thick. Several questions if I may:

-What about cooking on the Egg made the improvement?
    -Did you cook in the DO with the lid off?
    -I was given the CI BGE DO as a gift, but as the owner of two Le Creuset DO's I am wondering how easy is it to keep the outside surface clean? I've always found the outside finish harder to clean than the inside and I was wondering about smoke staining.

Jim

Jim, The added smoke flavor is what made it better. I did decide not to add any wood but rather just from the charcoal. May have to do that next time. As for the lid, yes it was off the whole time. I was going to add the lid about halfway through but decided to just keep it off and glad I did. As for the DO, I was going to use my Lodge but it is on the bigger side and would've taken a lot more liquid to keep the meat submerged in the sauce. This was the first time I have used my Enameled DO and the cleanup was no problem. And that was after 3 hours in the Egg.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looks great.  That's one of my favorite dishes, gonna have to try this one!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited November 2012
    I can almost smell it! :)  Nice cook!
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Wow - that looks incredible.  Never done short ribs before.  But, after seeing these pics, this is now on the short list.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited November 2012
    Here is the recipe I used adapted from one I found on The Food Network 
    5 pounds beef short ribs, cut into 4-ounce portions. 4 pounds if boneless 
    1 cup soy sauce 
    1/4 cup rice wine vinegar 
    Sriracha to your liking 
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed 
    1 (5-inch) stalk lemongrass, halved and smashed 
    1 tablespoon peeled and minced ginger 
    1/2 cup light brown sugar 
    1 quart water 
    1/2 cup sliced green onion bottoms, white part only 
    3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper 
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice 
    1/4 cup hoisin sauce 
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice    

Sear the ribs on the Egg direct. 350 is what I did. 

Remove the ribs and set Egg up for indirect with Platesetter legs up and the grid on top. In a wide stockpot or Dutch oven, combine the short ribs, soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, brown sugar, water, green onion bottoms, crushed red pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the orange juice. Make sure that the pot is deep enough so that the short ribs are submerged in the liquid. 

Cook on the Egg for about 3 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bones if not boneless. Remove the short ribs from the braising liquid and cover to keep warm. Increase the temperature to 425 degrees F. I did this last step in the oven. 

Drain the fat off of the cooking liquid and discard. Place the remaining braising juices in a medium saucepan with 1/4 cup of the hoisin sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the liquid until only about 1 1/4 cups remain. Strain through a fine-meshed strainer, discarding the solids. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of orange juice and the lemon juice. This step takes a long time to reduce. 

Return the short ribs and the reduced sauce to the stockpot or Dutch oven, coating the short ribs well with the sauce. Bake for 10 minutes, until the short ribs are heated through and slightly glazed. Real easy to do and so good. 
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited November 2012

Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,013
    Dang, Bob...  that looks amazing!  :-O   This is one thing I have yet to do.  Those are very meaty short ribs too...nice find!  Will definitely be giving this a go.