Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL Island

ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
edited August 2011 in EGG Table Forum
Took all of one year (and a Wisconsin winter) to destroy my wood table.
This new one should last 100 years or so...
Packerland, Wisconsin

·

Comments

• funk49funk49 Posts: 115
    That's pretty cool!
    ·
  • DrZaiusDrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Man that is a pretty nice setup.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 515
    Very nice table. Old man winter will run from that.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • Egg JujuEgg Juju Posts: 658
    That is a sweet setup...
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
    ·
  • great job :-) what did you use for the counter top?
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
    ·
  • Took all of one year (and a Wisconsin winter) to destroy my wood table.
    This new one should last 100 years or so...
    sounds like a TV show

:-D
    Coming to you from the Mothership!
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited August 2011
    great job :-) what did you use for the counter top?
    It's 2" thick poured concrete (same for the two "shelves").  I built wood forms using melamine board, mixed up some Quikrete concrete in a wheelbarrow and dumped it in the form and let it sit a couple days.  They're heavy as hell but should withstand the elements!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • What was your old table made out of that made it implode so quickly???

·
  • Great looking table, btw.
    ·
  • DnormanDnorman Posts: 117

Looks Good,  Did you use any morter?

·
  • Nice setup
    ·
    What was your old table made out of that made it implode so quickly???

2x4's, plywood and bolts/nails.  It was fairly solid at first but I moved it around a lot and it got a little loose as time went on.  Plywood was a bad idea to begin with, I made an inexpensive (bad) decision and it deteriorated quickly with rain/sleet/snow.  My ultimate plan was to do something permanent (bricks & concrete) eventually, I just ended up doing it sooner than later.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
    edited August 2011

Looks Good,  Did you use any morter?

No morter.  I used a "retaining wall" brick glue.  Comes in tubes and you use it in a caulk gun.

I've seen examples of people trying to take the bricks apart a day or so after the glue was applied.
    You'll break the brick apart before the glue bond will let loose.  Once the glue sets, it's permanent!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Ya know, I like this about as well as anything I've seen.  I am building a new house with a lot of stone...betcha I could do this out of the same stone and it would look like a custom built-in deal.  Of course it actually WOULD be a custom built-in deal.  My original wood BGE table is in the goat run being used as a surrogate mountain.
    ·