Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IN REMEMBRANCE OF CAR WASH MIKE

Comments

• I also could not find CWM rib recipe on forum recipes?
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Amen.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Just a quick note to say thank you Bill for the effort you've made these last few days in order to help give folks a way to express their joy
    for having known Mike McKernan...and help to ease the pain so many here feel in his untimely passing!

Again...thank you!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Thank You bill.

Amen
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    My exact sentiments, Evans.
    This was a fantastic idea, bill. I think it helped those of us on the Forum and definitely was appreciated by the family.
    Thanks to all who contributed!
  • Thank You, Dan, for representing all of us at Mikey's Memorial Service. You are Da Man B)
  • Oh! No! Thank YOU, Bill and Pork Butt Mike

I'm still pissed at Mike, but the healing has begun thanks to this weekend :kiss:
  • cwmsis
    cwmsis Posts: 16
    I am the sister of car wash mike. I have been reading your CWM threads in the past few days, as I was able to find a minute here and there. I have loved reading the memories, the respect, the tales of "debates", and the fun you found in my brother. He loved this group of friends, talked about you often, and wanted us to meet you all. I regret that I had not yet been able to do that :( I have especially loved the photos that are here, he looked so happy when he was with you. Thank you all for your friendship to him and your understanding of him. So many of you have pegged him so well!
    I am finding myself exhausted and drained tonight and wish I had better words to offer here to express my heartfelt thank you and appreciation for the love and support you have shown my brother. Someone commented about this being a celebration of life and that is truly what it has been. My family has talked about the going on's of this thread the past few days, and please know, it has meant a great deal to us, and given us comfort that he had such fine and loving friends in his life.
    I can't name only one memory of my brother, but he was the oldest of 4, and I am the youngest(he still treated me like the "baby"). He really was an incredibly giving and sweet brother growing up. I looked up to him, as he did everything well. He has a great student, son, athlete, and brother. All things worthy of looking up. As sweet and generous as I remember him to be, he also roughened me up and taught me to play 3rd base "better than any boy", taught me to play poker with his friends, let me smoke a cigar, and could tease me until it hurt and then laugh at me when MY Irish temper flared - yeah, I have a little of that too!
    As a man, he passed my college algebra class for me, when he realized all his patience in the world wouldn't help, so he just did it himself. He was the Godfather to two of my children, loved all of his nieces and nephews with all of his heart, shared the joy of cooking with me (only I not on an egg), still teased until it hurt, liked to engage me in debates of politics and other touchy subjects, and often talked about his egghead friends :)
    We had his funeral today in the Catholic Church we grew up in. The church seemed nearly filled for a Monday service, and while the service was ritual and somber, it was also meaningful and touching.
    My family is heartbroken, thank you for the prayers, the kind words, the private emails, the flowers, and for your presence.

Peace and Love to you all,
    CWMSIS
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I meet CWM at my first OKC fest last year. I went to his rib class it was great. He will missed greatly. I have did not ribs that way ever since the class and I have never had my ribs turn out bad. They are wonderful.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • cwmsis
    cwmsis Posts: 16
    Thank you for this. The story you tell, sounds just like my brother. He could "debate" like no other, and as personal as it seems when you are the recipient, I truly do not believe he ever meant any of it that way. It is who he was. He could tease until it hurt, and turn around and joke and love it away with his kindness and fun spirit.
    These stories and threads have been a joy to read.
    Peace and love to you all.
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    I've been away for a while, too long. This thread shook me up when I saw it. I really don't know what to say to all my old friends and am sorry to hear of this. Guys, god I hope the rest of you are doing well, CWM was a friend. I'll remember some great things about him and what he did while he was with us. :(
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    CWMsis...Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Mike will be sorely missed here. (btw...where was he when I was taking calculus?? :huh: ) :laugh: Nice to hear your story to make him the "big brother", Uncle, God Father...it helps drive his family relationships home, as opposed to just BBQ. Our thoughts and prayers are still with all of you through this difficult time. Hopefully this forum helped you and your family find some peace. Mike was well respected here. He will be missed!
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Cooked up these two racks on Sat. for CWM. On for 5 hours, smoked with apple and cherry. Rubbed with dizzy pig original and sauced with blues hog.
    IMG_2082.jpg
    Never met Mike but knew him from his many posts here. He will be missed, yet I feel that his legacy will live on.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Yes! A very sad event. Sorry you came back under this situation. Don't be a stranger.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    God bless CWM's family and thank his sis for letting us know more about him. Thanks every one. This is a wonderful community the egghead forum is. :) See you all in the forum or at a future fest. God bless
    Tim
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey Scott, where you been? Its got to be 3 years, don't be such a stranger man. -RP
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Although I never meet Mike in person, and have only been an Egghead for a short time, Mike responded to my many posts about questions concerning rib cooks. I certainly appreciated the help then for his effort to help me be a better cook. My condolences.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • cooked a rack up sunday in his honor. they were tasty!
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Sometime last year someone had posted this photo of Mike that was as crooked as a dogs hind leg. I copied and straightened it and am sure reposted it to the original photographer and thread. I regret that I can not remember who took the photo and wish they would step forward and claim it. I have not seen it posted in the past week and thought I would add it to the collection.

P8290621EDIT.jpg

Gator

• TulsaMurph
    TulsaMurph Posts: 131
    Sorry to hear of his passing, but very glad I had the chance to know the man. He made the Oklahoma Eggfest just that much more fun; he will be missed!

John
  • Eggweiser
    Eggweiser Posts: 54
    To the man I never had the pleasure to meet but taught me so much.

CWMRibs.jpg
  • P8290621.jpg

never can get those straight :lol::lol:
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Now I remember why I straightened it!!! It puts a crick in my neck to look at the original. :laugh:

That's a great picture DOW . . . no matter how you look at it! :silly: :side: :huh: ;)

Gator

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    You can shed tears that he is gone, or you can smile because he lived.
    You can close your eyes and pray that he’ll come back, or you can open your eyes & see all he did.
    Your heart may be empty because you can’t see him, or you can be full of the love you shared.
    You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday...
    or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday. You can remember him only that he has gone, or you can cherish your memory and let it live on.
    You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back.
    Or, you can do what he’d want; smile, open your eyes, love & go on
    found this online and thought it fit..
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    DOW, by any chance did your CWM Grand Marnier present have anything to do with that camera angle???? :side:
  • didn't get that :whistle: "big" bottle until Denver

:lol::lol:

gee, you sure have heard a lot of rumors :evil:

hey, that WAS Denver :blush:

got it later that night... he said he never opened his "big" bottle of Kaluha "just put it on the shelve with my collection"
  • Ku got us a new camera, so maybe now i won't have to turn the camera to get everything in it :laugh:
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Very well done, Julie!