Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IN REMEMBRANCE OF CAR WASH MIKE

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    You're waxing poetic this morning my friend!

True enough... Soooo I'll just put it up here, now...(sort of in his honor), and get it over with!!

e1a6ce1f.jpg

You know Tom...I posted this pic over on his FaceBook page yesterday so he'd have it with him next time I see him!

Can't you hear him saying... (in my best CWM voice)
    Hey Chubby...( no answer)

Chubby....(quiet Mike!!)

Chubby...( Still ignoring him)

Chubby..Chubby...your Egg!!(What???)

Chubby...your Egg...it's 1000 degrees!!!!

The rest...History...lmao!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    There were three racks cooked.
  • dhuffjr
  • dhuffjr
    Very nice Rick!
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Cooked 1 rack of St Louis style spareribs this weekend and as always, they were damn tasty. Thanks to a great cook method, of course!
  • dhuffjr
    Duly noted! :evil:
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    Sorry I didn't make it to your new restaurant.
    I will think about you every time I egg. Thanks for all the help. Rest in peace Mike.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    The first time I talked to Mike on the phone was because I had posted that one of our Rug Hooking teaches that was here from MO teaching for a week was in love with the egg and was going to check it out when she got home. he emailed me and said to call him. not sure what was up I did. He just wanted to make sure that is she had any questions or needed help finding an egg or anything to look him up. he would show her more and help her find a dealer. that is just how mike was :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I cooked two racks Bill, sorry to be late with the post.
    4787340725_f74450ed7c_b.jpg
    4787972902_80bc6f612f_b.jpg

Couldn't get any decent BB's, went with full spares.

I wish I had had a chance to meet the guy, my codolences to everyone.

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • One of my favorite pics from Eggtoberfest. Rest in peace my friend.

DSC00553.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Snoopy Dog Dog, here's another great pic for your collection. Now if that's not two handsome gentlemen!Hopefully I'll get to meet you some day soon.

Eggtoberfest 2009
    IMG_1399.jpg
  • I did 3 racks in Memory of Mike. Didn't get the camera out, sorry. RIP Mike.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Gwen...That is just to funny...Thanks for the laugh after a long day at work.Kaye also liked the post.

Larry
  • Desert Filly
    Desert Filly Posts: 1,042
    Last year at the Denverfest, Mike was proud to show off his parents, and we were proud to show off our family too. Randy's sister and brother-in-law were there, and we also took our daughter and son-in-law, and 2 of the granddaughters. A few weeks ago, I had these granddaughters stay with us for a few nights. Riley, the 8 year old, had just been introduced to SKYPPE. So, one evening she said..."let's see who is on Skyppe." so, we did, and lo and behold, CWNM was on. She called him, and he had stepped away from the computer...so all we got was a message back saying hi. She was so excited to be able to talk with him.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    I attended the funeral service for Mike in Wathena,KS today. I am glad for once the RR didn't mess up my plans! I introduced myself to Mikes parents, Nancy and Jerry and reminded them that we had met last year at the Colorado Eggfest in Denver. Mikes Mom face really lit up when I told her of the number of "hits" his thread had accumulated. She expressed her heartfelt
    appreciation and I believed was truly amazed.
    The following pictures were taken after the service.

The Church
    TheServicea.jpg

The displays in the vestibule
    TheServiceb.jpg

TheServicec.jpg

The Memorial table
    TheServiced.jpg
    TheServicee.jpg

TheServicef.jpg

TheServiceg.jpg

Item taken up to the alter during the service
    TheServiceh.jpg

Dirty Truck Chuck/Chuckles that gave an outstanding
    eulogy
    TheServicei.jpg

All in all, for me, a very somber experience.
    His family is very appreciative for the massive out pouring of condolences, prayers, pictures of Mike doing what he loved!

RIP my friend!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    This makes me so sad. I know that wasn't your intent in posting. I do appreciate your posting and photos. It really brings it home though that he's gone and what a tremendous and painful loss it is to so many.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thanks for sharing that Dan!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    THANK YOU for taking the time to post these. So many of us were touched by Mike and by posting these photos you have been able to include us even though we live so far away.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    All choked up :(

Thanks for sharing

Tim & Cindy
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Thats right Rich and now I can close. Tim
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    Thank you for sharing. How can someone who one has never met cause these emotions? I know ....great guy!!!
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    thank you for attending and representing all of us that could not be there. and taking the time to post the picture for all of us.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
  • Mad respect for the man and the method.   I never got a chance to meet Mike but I always use his rib method for baby backs.  Here's 6 slabs cooked yesterday in memory of Car Wash Mike:

5cfd7ed9.jpg

I've been bringing in pulled pork for the crew I work with at General Dynamics/Bath Iron Works and have had a few requests to supply some for parties and the like, so I purchased a case of butts at Sam's Club and set my personal record for butts at 10 on two LBGE's. 

4 on my roommate's new large purchased at the NewEgglandFest. 

1e31f414.jpg

6 on my large. 

13e97b15.jpg

The gang's all here. 

73ba8c7c.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    every effort was made to count the racks cooked, including those hidden in text of posts [thanks gator bait] and those posted in the main body of the forum.
    the total includes:
    21 for hoss 21 rib salute
    3 for desert oasis womans cook of 6/27 while talking to CWM while egging
    1 extra for dimples mom for cooking ribs shrimp and onion burgers while wearing underwear on her head due to the lack of a proper doo rag AND posting a picture
    lastly double [+3] for eenie meenie for sending Kansas State purple and white flowers to the service from all of us [eggheads]
    bring us to 225 racks of ribs [as of tuesday 7:30pm]
    thank you Pork Butt Mike for a wonderfull suggestion.
  • Smut-butt
    Smut-butt Posts: 142
    Those ribs look fantastic; I have searched for the recipe but cannot find it. Someone please post it again.
    thanks. I know CWM is looking down at all of his friends and EGGERS with pride.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Heavenly Father
    Thank you for the life of Michael McKernan.
    Give comfort to all those who are suffering his loss.
    Help us to keep the good memories strong and to forgive all else.
    May the light of your love shine brightly upon him for forever and a day.
    Amen