Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IN REMEMBRANCE OF CAR WASH MIKE

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    He'd be proud!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Kari, that last pic is a reenactment of your famous rib bite! Ummmm, ummmmm good. Mike would be proud of you! :)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice Jason!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    DSCN8230.jpg

DSCN8235.jpg

Thanks Rebecca...love the guy!!!!!!!!

IMG_1398.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    Fornia, are you sure you didn't filch Mike's rib pics? Those are spot on! :)
  • Beli
    DELICIOUS MI AMIGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Beli
    Frank great...just great!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Wife and nurses loved them. Now a few more people know, even if only the name, Carwash Mike. I hope I made him proud.

The bend test

100_4125.jpg

sauce on

100_4126.jpg

and ready to slice

100_4128.jpg

The smell carried throughout the whole floor

100_4130.jpg
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    He would be extra proud of the doo rag....looks good on you ;)
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Thanks! It looked like a disaster 5 minutes after, though.

john
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    You'll did really think this could go off with out me doing a rack for Mike did ya? Didn't think so. I worked all day at on the farm yesterday and didn't have time to Egg. Church and a visit with my parents today and didn't think I had time today. Ya know some times you just have to make time. As we all have seen to well time is something NONE OF US have in abundance. It will all be over with for each and every one reading these words in 100 years or less. Most if not all much, much earler. So I decided to do some ribs. Never meet Mike so I can't personally talk about how great he was or show a bunch of pic with me and him bear hugging each other late at night after an all day Egg Fest and a few late night Reta's BUT I do know a lot of people who have and what they have said about him and that speaks volumes!! So to you Mike where ever you are I hope you approve of these chunks of pig I fixed just for you. I used your quick rib recipe you showed the forum and I must say except for a little more intense smoke the low and slow way these are some of if not the best ribs I have done. Perhaps I had a little help? Anyway hear we go. The raws pure and simple:
    APRIL20001-3.jpg

Dusted down with a little home rub.
    APRIL20005-2.jpg

Stoke the Medium up to 350.
    APRIL20004-2.jpg

And on the rib rack. Put a couple chunks of simmon in the mix and some alum. on the platesetter to catch the drippings and also help with the direct heat at these temps on the Medium.
    APRIL20006-3.jpg

After 45 min. just like Mike I flipped them and swapped places on the rack then on for another 25 min. pulled them off and they looked like this:
    APRIL20010-1.jpg

Mike used a little apple juice but I used a little unemployment beer. ;)
    APRIL20013-2.jpg

Foiled back and on the Egg at same 350 for 30 min.
    APRIL20014.jpg

Unfoiled
    APRIL20017-2.jpg

And saused with house sause.
    APRIL20020-1.jpg

10 more min. at same 350 temp and ready to pull. Who says they an't tinder?!!! :woohoo:
    APRIL20021-3.jpg

A couple Reta's for a family member gone.
    APRIL20023-3.jpg

And time to eat and be thankfull.
    APRIL20024.jpg

APRIL20026-4.jpg

APRIL20028-2.jpg

Just wouldn't be right with out Jake.
    APRIL20031-3.jpg

I'm sure Mike's family will see these post one day when things settle down. Hope in some small way they understand how special he was to so many people and hope that is some small comfort to them. God speed Mike. :ermm:
  • cookn biker
    Amen brother, amen.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Beli
    Deane, The best...just the best...TKS
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hey Rebecca

I think Mike would have gotten a kick out of it. I was never lucky enough to meet him in person but have seen so many pictures of his infectious smile that maybe we could have gotten him to sing lead. :lol:

What is funny is that "Mike's Way" was born of my bad hearing. I have been hard of hearing/deaf most of my life and my mind likes to play little "sounds like" games that I am only spectator to. LOL. To go from "My Way" to "Mike's Way" was to easy to deserve any credit for any thing. When I looked up the lyrics I liked it even more.

I have to go get cleaned up. I'm sticky from here to there and back again. Left over CWM ribs are incredible! They may even be better then the first night.

Gator

• eenie meenie
    I think those are the first CWM turbo ribs of the tribute. They look great, as does Jake! :laugh:
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning JLOCKHART29:

Great looking ribs for Mike!

I like your "special" ingredient in the foil stage too...I didn't have any apple juice either so I used Newcastle Brown Ale to spritz mine...really liked the result.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Thanks Becca. Got to Email my excentric gum probing friend real quick and crash. Up for work at 2:15 am. Was REALLY supprised at how good these things were. Just outstanding!
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Beli, beautiful rendition, especially with the Carnivore, my other favorite sauce. Looking forward to raising a glass with you again soon buddy, we'll be sure to make a toast to Mike
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    JL, great words, you nailed it, Marc
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

I think the margaritas with Mike's ribs would be perfect! Great photo, it's simple but the greens and reds compliment each other as well as the sweet and sour. I'm sold. I just finished a big plate of leftovers (made my ribs yesterday) and am sticky from head to toe and have a BBQ sauce smile from ear to ear.

Hope your weather is cooling off up there. I hear it has felt like Southwest Florida. :lol:

Gator

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    First, Thanks to Pork Butt Mike for suggesting we cook ribs in memory of Car Wash Mike.
    as of JLOCKART29'S post

146 racks
    +21 for hoss' 21 rib salute
    +3 for desert oasis woman's cook while talking with
    Mike on June 27th
    +2 because eenie meenie gets double credit

every effort was made to find racks hidden in posts and in the main body of the forum.
    revised total will be posted tomorrow evening.

bill
    edit
    174 [i forgot to add my two racks ]
    + 1 eggerman
    please continue to post your 'tribute racks" in this docked thread.
  • Beli
    Sure my friend.......proud to do it soon, take care.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    To be sure...(probably like us all)...Mike never shyed away from the free attention of a good looking Woman!

He undoubtedly had a soft spot when it came to my wife Ann. Most probably he figured if she could put up with the likes of me...well then maybe he had a shot...lol!!

Anyway...at the first Oklahoma EggFest he and my wife parked behind me and proceeded to make my life miserable as they took,(or moved without my knowing it)
    my cooking tools, spices..sauces..ect. each time I was distracted by a fest goer at the table.
    He got a real charge out of messing with me for some reason, so after I finally cought on and received the requisite ammount of Car Wash Mike abuse... I devised a counter attack!

I turned my best weapon on him...Ann!!

There was nothing as sweet as embarrassing the crap out of Mike, and watching as that face and ears lit up like Rudolph at Christmas!

P1010007.jpg

Snoopy was spinning some old Disco tunes....so Ann at my urging grabbed him and dragged him out in the middle of the dance floor(by himself)...and proceeded to dance him up!!

Thus the ledgend of "Car Wash...The Dancing Bear" was born!!

P1010042.jpg

Any time he got too uppity where I was concerned..all i had to do was threaten to post a link to the video for all the newbies to see...well, you can guess the rest!

106a.jpg

Rest Well... Dancing Bear!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • pretty impressive bill. ...afraid i just grilled shrimp tonight. ..but i tipped my glass of diet coke in mike's honor. ...been thinking about him a lot the past few days, thats for sure. ...

thanks for doing this bill, it means a lot to me,and a lot of others, thats for sure!!
  • cookn biker
    That's awesome stories/pictures, thanks for sharing!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • We had a bunch of people over to watch the world cup soccer match and (in addition to a bunch of other food) I made a couple racks of baby backs in memory of CWM.

I was told - they were the best ribs I've done - bare none. Now, I wish I had made more.

I'd like to think that CWM was guiding me through the process.

Michael
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    And were they ever delicious! Let me say "Car Wash Mike knows his ribs". Had always done spares in the past, but baby backs were a must today in honor of Mike.

So sorry we never had the privilige of meeting him. We have certainly benefited from his posts.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Shrimp is good ,, i was so taken with the posts of his shrimp on the oval metal plates i bought 3 of them and will use them as soon as i can get out to get shrimp . i did not do anything other than post a suggestion,, seems though it was a good one,, as was PBM's 'memorial rib' suggestion .
    i got my copy of Chosin in the mail friday.
    bill
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    2nd photo is definaltey part of the official video of that 1st OK fest..:). I remember clearly...