Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread Makers!!!

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok so today i was at the local publix (which by the way is the friendliest store! which is why i go there) and they had a sale on all of their fall squash.. i looked over a larger than usual selection. and finally decided on some pie pumpkins. there were three others in the running....

(it has been a bad day for my steelers so forgive me if Jim Beam has clouded me current memory as to what the other two choices are)

so i got two pie pumpkins the first one weighs 1 lb 12 oz and the other weighs 2 lb 3 oz.. i have looked through 58 recepies that i have for anything with pumpkins in them and have not found anything that i like in my searches.

Here is what i want to do.. i want to roast them on the egg. no big deal cut them in half throw some olive oil, salt and pepper @ 350. cut side up. seeds in. till soft.. let cool (scrape seeds and throw them back on the egg. and add salt.) but clean the kins and mash into a paste with some clove, nutmeg, cinimon..

So here is where it gets weird i want to make a bread.. i have a bunch of high gluten flour. i don't have much of any kind of other flour so i am guessing this has to be a crusty type bread (i suck a$$ at bread which is why i am pleading to ya'll)

i hope this is enough info for some of you bread makers to give me something i can work with..

additional info i have DO, bread pans, 9x9 - 9x13 casserole dishes, a couple weird casserole dishes, and a pizza stone with my two hands (plus a KA mixer which is important)

thanks once againi know there are alot of bread affecionados {sp} that hang out here and they know alot about yeast to flour to hydration level stuff that i am not up to speed on :pinch: .. so if you are wondering That's Why I Asked B)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• For the bread, make it easy upon yourself. Try the no-knead bread that Mark Bittman popularized. It works very well and gives excellent loaves of bread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html
  • BENTE
    Options
    you stupid or SCARED???

my guess you are hiding cause you were ashamed to admit there is no pumpkin in your link!!!

i only want people with knowledge i have 114 bread recepies several no knead plus no knead pizza dough recepie if i wanted them they are already here.. i asked specifically for pumpkin.. maybe you are just slow that is what i will call you!! scared and slow too scared to say who you are and too slow to comprehend what i meant when i said Pumpkin hopefully you will either show your dumba$$ or give me something i can use

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :ohmy: :whistle:B) I know what you mean Bente. :(
  • BENTE
    Options
    i have been as nice as i can to newbies but sometimes there are people who just want to be smart asses and i can understeand that but i am being pretty specific and someone wants to be "special" that is cool with em but they are too scared to actually say who they are that is just chickenshit!!! plain and simple

if your are tooo scared to say who you are they why say it ??????

i can understand stike and his delima/overexposure but he would let you know what you were wanting to know ;)

that is why someone like froggy is just a P.O.S cause he did not help at all::::: if he had knowledge to share it would have been under his own name :ohmy:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Well -- At risk of being jumped-down-the throat... let me address a specific point you seem to be raising...

And, yes! I do a lot of bread, in the Egg and in the Kitchen Oven.
    And, no -- I don't do pumpkin bread.

But -- you ask about hydration. Since the entire discussion of bakers percentages seems to throw a lot of people, I'll speak to this issue.

Hydration refers to the percentage of water [or milk, or any liquid] relative to flour. Bakers percentages are all measured against the weight of flour in a recipe.

Example -- If a recipe call for 28 oz of flour, and 14 oz of liquid, then this is 50% hydration.

'Nuther example -- If a recipe calls for 28 oz of flour, and 21 oz of liquid, then this is 75% hydration.

I am a tester for Peter Reinhart... and yes! I report to him how all of his recipes respond to baking in the oven in a cloche and also to baking on a pizza stone in the Egg. I don't think he perceives the ceramic baking market to be big enough to write a special breads book -- But I hope to be on the front lines when he does.

OK -- Since you've read this far ... just four generic tips...

No. 1 -- With yeasted breads, go for about 75% hydration. This makes a very wet, sloppy dough, much thinner than our general concept of bread dough.

No. 2 -- For white breads, substitute 5% of the flour weight with rye flour... significantly increases the flavor.

No. 2 -- Learn to stretch and fold. Despite working with very hydrated dough, four "stretch-and-folds" within one hour will really tighten up the dough, as the gluten develops.

No. 3 -- After your four stretch-and-folds, plop your dough in a slightly oiled container, cover the container [plastic wrap or tight lid] and put it in the fridge for 24 -- 36 hours. You may have to gently de-gas after the first 12 - 18 hours. Allowing the bread to rest [cold] for several days adds quite a bit of flavor.

OK -- Those who want to know more can contact me --
    broc4brockway at yahoo dot com
  • BENTE
    Options
    how can i jump down someone's throat for giving "Real" info??? i have made your recepie for no knead bread so many times i have actually eggsperimented with it by adding cheese.. fontina during the "first" knead after the rest...

Bread, No Knead Brock from just across.........

OK -- Here goes! This is a no-knead recipe. Very little "hands-on" time... maybe a total of ten minutes handling ingredients.

1 Simply dump into a bowl and quickly mix together
    2 > 3 Cups all purpose flour
    3 > 1/2 tsp yeast
    4 > 1-1/2 tsp salt [I use sea salt]
    5 Then just dump in 1-1/2 cups of good tasting water
    6 > In about 20 - 30 seconds, just squish the water into the flour... don't worry about "under mixing." It will hydrate on its own.
    7 Cover with plastic, and let sit on the counter 12+ hours.
    8 < The longer it sits, the more taste it will develop
    9 The next day ---
    10 Flop the gooey mess onto a well floured countertop.
    11 >It will be really sticky, and will seem like it is too wet. It isn't!
    12 >Use flour liberally on your hands, and "powder" the dough as needed so you don't end up wearing it!
    13 Tri-fold the mess as best you can just twice!
    14 < Work the dough a bit with your fingers to de-gas the biggest bubbles. Unlike traditional bread making, don't overwork this section. You can do this in maybe 15 seconds at the most.
    15 < Leave some gas bubbles in the dough.
    16 As best you can with the gooey mess, keep your hands well floured, roll into a ball and place the dough into a lightly oiled [EVOO] bowl.
    17 Cover with a towel, and walk away!
    18 < To this point, your total contact time with ingredients is maybe a minute, include measuring the flour, yada-yada.
    19 < Just walk away, Jose! -- For two hours.
    20 Preheat your oven [Egg] to 450F, with the dutch oven in it
    21 Turn the dough out on the counter again, gently de-gassing.
    22 < Tri-fold twice!
    23 < Then shape the dough into an appropriately long "log."
    24 < Again, this is a fast-'n-furious step, taking less than a minute.
    25 < When the "log" is formed, let it rest for about 10 minutes.
    26 Quickly, toss the "log" into the dutch oven, that has been in your Egg/oven for 30 min @ 450F
    27 < The extremely wet dough [superhydrated] will steam -- but the steam can't escape the dutch oven easily... this is what makes that crispy, yummy crust on the bread!
    28 < BTW -- The bread will not stick to the baking pot. < Don't grease the oven or anything. Just use it.
    29 After 30 minutes, take the lid off the cooker, and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.
    30 Viola! The deed is done!
    31 < Remove the dutch oven from the Egg/oven
    32 < Turn your Italian loaf out on to a rack to cool at least 30 min. before slicing. The inside of a loaf of any bread needs this rest time before slicing, or the inside of the bread can turn out "gummy."
    33 Enjoy the best Italian bread you've ever had.

Recipe Type
    Bread

Cooking Tips
    if you want you can grate some cheese into it just do it when you do the first turn out tb 2008/08/26

Recipe Source
    Author: Broc just across………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Source: BGE Forum 2008-01-17

see i have that recepie from when you were brockfrom just across the might mo (or something like that)

but on to your point:::

first question is ....according to your steps i should refregeriate for a day or so how much yeast should i use:::: reason i ask is because when i make pizza dough i was told to use a fraction of the yeast so it does not prematually die before my "rest in the fridge" ends...

also i am wondering what kind of hydration level is the pumpkin going to add? i would think i would take the reserve liquid from roasting the pumpkins for the liquid for the dough...

so am i overthinking this??

should i just roast the pumpkins on the egg, pour the liquid into a container to "bloom" the yeast then start mixing my high- gluten flour?????

really i am not being dense it just comes naturally :ohmy:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I must concur! ;) It really pi$$es me off when forum members hide their handles When makin trouble/snide remarks.I agree with you ,if you mean it ,say it and don't hide.Or even worse,candya$$ lurkers startin bull...! :angry:
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I share your pain on my beloved Steelers. Two games in a row that they shoulda won, jeez. And Santonio Holmes needs a drug test. For cause. Two games behind the Ravens? Completely disgusting.

Anyway, I have done some pumpkin breads that are simple, though I've not done any original recipes that require hydration calculations. So here's an idea for you. Most consumer recipes use canned pumpkin puree. If you concentrate on making a good puree on the Egg, you'd have a nice smokey product that can be used to upgrade consumer recipes that call for canned puree.

Examples of puree recipes, easily adaptable to the Egg:
    about.com
    allrecipes.com
    Food Network
    epicurious

They all seem similar. Prep pumpkin, perhaps brush with butter. Roast for 325-350ºF for an hour or thereabouts. Chunk and puree in blender to make pumpkin base. Strain off liquid.

Breads using pumpkin puree, well, allrecipes has 90 of them. I suspect you could sub the pumpkin base in bread recipes that called for applesauce. Oh, and pumpkin cheesecake is very good, although it's not what you were asking about. Obviously you're already on the pepitas thing. I bet they'd be great with some DP.

Maybe this is too simple, but this kind of stepwise approach works for me.
  • BENTE
    Options
    hell as you know it happens all the time!!

although it has been more prevelent latley..

for some reason someone comes over just to start $h!t knowing they are comming to "The Cult"

my only question is WHY????

i mean you been here for 3300 posts people know you have read 5X the amount your have responded to so you would be a good source for info.. so why even try to give you stupid **** answers it just wastes time...

kind of like cutting your finger chopping onions... only thing happens is you waste time stopping the bleeding ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    yea tone needs to be checked for mary jane for sure he did not have a good game... limas sweed will loose his spot to mike wallace if he doesn't shape up and SOON!!!!

D is hurting (43).... but we have lost 2 nail biters so i am not too woried.. we are not the 72 Dolphins!!! but very concerned...

i looked at a few pumpkin recepies and thought about what to do with them i even thought this one would be verrry good

Pie, Pumpkin, Baked in the Pumpkin, BobinFla

This dish was a favorite of George Washington. While it was called a pie in the old days, it’s certainly not what we call a pie now. Here the custard pie is found inside the pumpkin and the whole thing is to be served up with a bit of anticipation fo

Ingredients:
    1 Pumpkin, 5-7 pounds
    6 Whole Eggs
    1 pint Whipping Cream
    1/2 cup Brown Sugar
    1 Tbs Molasses
    1/2 tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
    1 tsp Cinnamon
    1/4 tsp Ginger
    2 Tbs Butter

Preparation Directions:
    1 Cut the lid off the pumpkin just as you would for a Jack-O’-Lantern.
    2 Remove the seeds and save for toasting later.
    3 Mix the remaining ingredients together with the exception of the butter. Fill the pumpkin with this mixture and top with the butter.
    4 Cover with the pumpkin lid and place in a baking pan.
    Cooking Directions:
    1 Bake at 350° for 1-1½ hours, or until has set like a custard.
    2 Serve from the pumpkin at your table, scraping some of the meat from the pumpkin with each serving.
    3 This is an interesting substitution for the usual pumpkin pie.

Servings: 8

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Author: BobinFla sailaser @ bellsouth . net

Source: BGE Forum, BobinFla

BOB’s Notes:

For the Q-Fest, I couldn’t find any 5-7 pound pumpkins, only 3-4 pounders, or 15 pounds and up. I finally found the 12 pound pumpkin that I brought. I knew 4 pounds wouldn’t be enough, and not knowing what would be cooking when, I didn’t know how much grill space would be available to cook 3 small pumpkins. I forgot to bring nutmeg, so I substituted Allspice, and probably added more than ½ teaspoon. Larger pumpkins cost much less per pound than the smaller "baking" pumpkins.

Be sure to double the recipe if you get a larger pumpkin. I used double everything for the 12 # pumpkin. If there is any left, I, personally think the pie is better after refrigeration

Don't quite fill the pumpkin, the custard expands and drips into the pan.

Frugal Gourmet Cook's American, Jeff Smith

but want to knead some bread i guess i may end up roasting the pumpkin like a zucchini and makea zuchini bread type.. with pumpkin just adding "pineapple Head" instead of some regular clove/cinimon mixture also guess i will have to add sugar..

i like your wet bread thoughts cause it seems like this will have to be the direction i go :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• EllaJones
    Options
    I prefer WhatsCookingDad to find out the best bread maker reviews, bread machine recipes which helps me to improve my baking skills.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    BENTE said:
    you stupid or SCARED???

my guess you are hiding cause you were ashamed to admit there is no pumpkin in your link!!!

i only want people with knowledge i have 114 bread recepies several no knead plus no knead pizza dough recepie if i wanted them they are already here.. i asked specifically for pumpkin.. maybe you are just slow that is what i will call you!! scared and slow too scared to say who you are and too slow to comprehend what i meant when i said Pumpkin hopefully you will either show your dumba$$ or give me something i can use
    This really did use to be a much friendlier place.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    WTH is going on in this thread...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    All this over a bread recipe........
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Even undisclosed secret pizza dough recipes haven't gotten this contentious, at least that I can recall.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    Even undisclosed secret pizza dough recipes haven't gotten this contentious, at least that I can recall.
    Just wondering if it’ll be in the will  =)
    canuckland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GregW said:

PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!

god some of these are just gold. There are some doozies from back then.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, his tag line checks out:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    BENTE said:
    you stupid or SCARED???

Little Steven, author of ^^^ quote, was everyone's friend  ;)

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    photobucket
    host...store...steal...ransom
    edited October 2020
    Options
    photobucket
    I installed photobucket hotlink fix chrome extension on my laptop to get rid of the annoying banner.
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    photobucket
    I installed photobucket hotlink fix chrome extension on my laptop to get rid of the annoying banner.
    I have to install an extension to fix the annoying banner watermark thing?  Those people are deplorable.

edited October 2020
    Options
    photobucket
    I have to install an extension to fix the annoying banner watermark thing?  Those people are deplorable.

https://github.com/BridgeTroll-IO/photobucket-hotlink-fix?hotlinkfix=1603322161755

banner removed:

canuckland
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    GregW said:

PUMPKIN BREAD RECIPE YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!

god some of these are just gold. There are some doozies from back then.
    I stand corrected
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    photobucket
    That link for firefox was dead but I found a working extension.  Annoyingness gone.

Options
    BENTE said:
    you stupid or SCARED???

Little Steven, author of ^^^ quote, was everyone's friend  ;)

Canuckians are pretty friendly to begin with, but LS set the bar for sure. I really do miss him. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    This is an interesting thread.  A person who seems to be mostly about directing traffic to their website digs up a decades old discussion of misbehaving members and then the discussion promptly seems to go off topic. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    caliking said:
    WTH is going on in this thread...

OP asked for a pumpkin bread recipe

Another guy posted that ubiquitous NY Times no-knead bread recipe

OP goes ballistic, touts >100 bread recipes, the other guy's response doesn't have pumpkin and doesn't use high gluten flour, etc

Rant goes on

Misery from Steelers sucking

Excessive ranting doesn't seem to be cathartic in any way

World and the very existence of the universe depends on pumpkin bread recipe info, some info posted, TL;DR

Likely outcome: antagonist actually a warlock and put curse on OP to develop painful case of genital warts.

OP, in great pain and agony retreats to cave in smokey mountains, only to be a hermit and made last post circa 2015.

The end.

What a recap !!  Best Line . . "World and the very existence of the universe depends on pumpkin bread recipe info, some info posted, TL;DR"  . . . LOL
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”