Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Phenomenal spatchcocked chicken -- I think I finally got it

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've tried several times to make spatchcocked chicken, i.e., a butterflied chicken. When I tried it at 350 for about 45 minutes, I got some flareups and burning. When I tried it at 300 or 325 for a longer time, it didn't get crispy, and the meat was a softer texture.[p]Well, I finally got the hint from the other folks on this forum: raise the grid up a few inches. I then cooked the chicken at 350 for about 25 minutes on a side, adding oak chunks to the fire. [p]The family rendered its verdict: "Best chicken we ever had." Firm but juicy; crispy but not burnt; smoky but not bitter.[p]My point is that if you cooking at higher temps but don't want any charring at all, raise that grid. [Sometimes I want charring -- with tri-tip, for example. But sometimes not.][p]Thanks again to all of the Eggsperts -- I am still picking up new tips and tricks from you, after doing this for almost a year!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Prof Dan,
    Glad to see you tried something different and reported the result. I raised the grid when I cooked it simply because it was easier to turn over the chicken up at the level of the opening, rather than down in the egg. I really didn't know if that raised grid really made a difference. Well, now we know. However, now I don't even turn the bird. I just lay it in skin up for the whole cook. I don't see much difference in the results, so I don't bother. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    While I've not experienced the charring problem Prof. Dan did at the normal grate level, I find your post interesting and will try it next time. I know one thing, I've never tasted a bird this moist and tasty as the results one gets from this method of cutting the chicken and cooking it on the BGE. This past week, it was "kicked up a notch" with the use of Ken Stone's Gilded Splinters Rub. My (and my family's) hat is off to those who discovered this recipe. I would encourage any Egger who hasn't tried a "yard bird" cooked in this manner, to do so.

• Holy Smokes,[p]Tell me more about the Guilded Splinters rub- is it a commercial rub or recipe?[p]Thanks[p]Skooter
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    Skooter,
    The rubs and sauces are commercially prepared by Ken Stone, who is a frequent poster here. At present, the only way to order is to contact him at his email address and he'll respond to you. We had two different sauces tonight and my wife loves them, especially the Crossroads sauce. The address is: lizard1@dnvr.uswest.net

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Options
    Holy Smokes,
    butterflied is the only way we do chicken now and we are wondering how a turkey would do? might be worth a try if they ever go on sale

• Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Hi Vegas Slim,[p]I found that using the grid extender to raise my butterflied chicken was a vast improvement over cooking it on the regular grid(grill). Before, the chicken would burn in places from flareups and cooked rather quickly and unevenly. I wondered why everyone raved about their results. The additional distance from the heat produced a more evenly cooked and quite delicious bird IMHO.[p]Funny you should mention turkey. I just read a tip to buy frozen turkeys or breasts on sale and have the butcher saw them in half. Not only would the halves be easier to store in the freezer, but they would cook quicker and would provide a more appropriate amount of food for a small family. It would't be exactly "spatchcocked", but it would be worth a try cooking in the same manner.[p]Ellen
  • Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay, I'd call them turkeys sawed in half--"Halfcocked"
    Sorry, couldn't help it
    Painter