Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heavenly Experiment -- Reverse T-Rex

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never T-Rexed, but was interested in trying the reverse T-Rex and WOW, it turned out GREAT. The benefit of this method is that the natural enzymes in the meat will tenderize it, but the process stops at 120F. That is why slow roasted, prime rib is so good (at least one of the reasons)! : ) [p]I decided to do this test right, so I started with a really nice 22 ounce, NY strip that was about 2" thick. This steak would have been good if it was cooked on a Forman grill, so it might not have been a good test, but no matter...[p]Step 1: I fired up my LG, BGE, lighting it in a single spot at the back of my grill and hooked up my Guru and set it for 250. I put on a nice chunk of mesquite for flavor. [p]Step 2: I fixed some of the PK, Smoky Cumin Rub and smeared it all over that bad boy. [p]Step 3: I put the steak on the front of the grill (basically an indirect cook) and it took 32 minutes to get the center to 100. Once again, the advantage is that the more time you take before getting to 120, the more the natural enzymes in the meat tenderize it.[p]Step 3A: While cooking the steak at low temp, I threw on two bellas that had the gills removed and smeared with pesto.[p]Step 4: I pulled the steak, pulled the pit probe on my Guru, opened the daisy wheel, opened the vent on the guru and let her rip. It only took 4 minutes to get the cooker to 600! Test question: Are you drooling yet?[p]Step 5: I seared it on both sides for 90 seconds and closed the draft and let it set to come up to 125. Also added the bellas back to warm them a little.[p]28-09-07NYStripwithBellas.jpg[p]Step 6: I plated the steak with the bellas and some roasted gus. I added a nice bottle of Petit Sirah and life was definitely good![p]28-09-07NYStripPlated.jpg[p]Step 7: I intended to save half the steak for tomorrow, but I ate every bite and licked the plate! [p]This was a lot more work than normal, but every so often it is going to be worth it. For desert, while typing this, I am sipping a nice single malt scotch. It just don't get any better than this!

Comments

• Smoke Diver
    Options
    BobS,[p]This appears to be similar to the Finney method that is posted on "the other board.[p]Smoke Diver
    Smoke Diver
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BobS,
    hasn't gotten cool enough for me to dip into my scotch. i am jealous.[p]what extra work was the reverse T-rex? i always found it easier/quicker. roast low til you are within spitting distance of the desired temp, then immediately spike the grill temp and sear. no waiting![p]
    so anyway. screw the steaks, what's your scotch this evening?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    BobS,
    i hope you don't mind but that sounds and looks outstanding!!!![p]i saved that for a post baby celebration meal, when i say post i mean poooooost. you know like a year or two or so. ROTFLMAO!!![p]
    what a great looking steak when the $$$ gets right for me to go buy two 2inch steak i will take pics and let you know!!!![p]
    (insert Ricks Tropical Delight hand clapping thingie)[p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BobS
    Options
    stike,
    I am drinking a 10 year old Laphroaig -- very smokey and wonderful! As for the extra work - I generally throw on my steaks at 500, cook about 5-6 minutes on the first side, flip and pull at 125.[p]If you are planning for the extra time it is really no big deal. This was a fine steak!

• BobS
    Options
    Smoke Diver,
    That would be it!

• BobS
    Options
    BENTE,
    Congrats on the baby! Will be better than the best steak!![p]

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BobS,
    10 years old? that's cradle-robbing.[p]sounds nice.
    waiting on the cool weather. scotch season is around the corner!

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    BobS,
    Laphroaig is the BEST! Love the smokiness, and it's been too long since I've had a glass... may have to make a special trip tomorrow, you have great taste in Scotch ;-)
    I did a bone-in rib eye standard T-Rex style tonight with similar results (Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks for the seasoning), mighty good. Time to 120, including resting after the sear, was about 25 minutes, so pretty similar, but I think I'll try the reverse next time to compare, yours looked wonderful! Thanks for the tips and nice pics...[p]

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Basscat,[p]Disagree on the choice of malt (I don't like to drink liquid peat) but you're on target with the beef! [p]
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Options
    Haggis,
    Aye, then we'll have to agree to disagree, it's the peaty smoky Islay Whisky for me, not as fond of the Highland or Lowland. But here's to Egged beef, the burgers and steaks are great and the briskets can be positively profound when they come out right ;-)

• BobS
    Options
    Basscat,
    I do not think I ever met one I did not like. Just like people, each has a different personality.

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    BobS,
    Your steak looks perfect! Interesting info on natural enzymes...thanks for that.
    Clay (ansure to test question; Yes)

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    BobS, I do a lot of meat this way, prime rib, tri-tip and the likes. One big advantage here is you can stall the meat before serving if everything is not ready to serve, just by holding off the sear till everything is ready.

• BobS
    Options
    tach18k,
    That is a great idea. Thanks.

• I'll pass on the Laphroaig, but will join you with a Balvenie or, if I'm in a smokey mood, a Lagavulin.[p]That's a fine-looking steak there, not to mention the mushrooms.