Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

“OLD TIMERS” Are you, am I? Is it age or did you grow up on the original Egg forum?

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,685
edited September 17 in EggHead Forum
Today noticed @JohnInCarolina posted on the forum looking for someone and thought maybe the “OLD TIMERS” might remember and included my name. 

Even after 10+ years of retirement i just never thought of myself in the “OLD TIMERS” but damn I must be. I remember thinking (long ago apparently) about the “OLD TIMERS”.

So at 76 and approximately 35 EGG years I accept that. 

I know plenty in this forum who have me beat in both AGE & EGG EXPERIENCE (time). 
Let’s just see how many of us are out there. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,965
    Welcome back, Mickey! I thought maybe you too got caught up in that unforgiving tangle element of time! So I am glad to see you are still kicking somebodies tires some where!!!
  • Mickey
    RRP said:
    Welcome back, Mickey! I thought maybe you too got caught up in that unforgiving tangle element of time! So I am glad to see you are still kicking somebodies tires some where!!!
    Ron i was talking with LAWNRANGER today and now you. Life is good. 
    How about your age and EGG years
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    Mickey a few years ago my Aunt got an XL. As a warm up gift I gave her a quart of your coffee rub and included a paper copy of the recipe. It turns out that they used up the quart and remade the rub multiple times. Gradually her kids got Eggs.
  • Mickey
    Mickey a few years ago my Aunt got an XL. As a warm up gift I gave her a quart of your coffee rub and included a paper copy of the recipe. It turns out that they used up the quart and remade the rub multiple times. Gradually her kids got Eggs.
    Thanks but about 5 others came up with that recipe and i made a small change, put on the forum and WOW. 
    I still use it. 

• RRP
    edited September 17
    Mickey said:
    RRP said:
    Ron i was talking with LAWNRANGER today and now you. Life is good. 
    How about your age and EGG years
    Then after talking with Mike today you know...

As for me my odometer rolled over to 80 back in July. As for BGE eggperience I still just have my 4 eggs all purchased back in the "golden" era of and around the 2000's. And back when there was no corporate forum and their rules which "Mr Miller's"forum didn't need. Hang in there buddy!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    only been here about 25 years now, almost half of my 60 years :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    edited September 17
    Many years ago you got me hooked on sugar maple wood from a seller in Maine. Was it Maine Grilling Wood?
    They seem out of business now. Do you have another supplier?
    thanks
    Mickey

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,006
    I'm 61 and was never on the old forum.  I've been here since 2012 so that doesn't qualify as old timer by either count.

That's good because I don't identify as old.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    Mickey said:
    Many years ago you got me hooked on sugar maple wood from a seller in Maine. Was it Maine Grilling Wood?
    They seem out of business now. Do you have another supplier?
    thanks
    Mickey

havent bought smoking wood in years, just what i can find around the house. predator pee in maine used to carry it but dont see it online anymore. maine grilling woods facebook hasnt updated since 2016.  this place carries it but damn those prices seem high, seems to look fresh though

fukahwee maine

• Been on the forum since 1990....Had eggs since then too. I  remember lots of the "old guys
    LoveHandles----Arizona
  • RRP
    mikelove said:
    Been on the forum since 1990....Had eggs since then too. I  remember lots of the "old guys
    LoveHandles----Arizona
    Great to see your post, Mike! I still laugh every time I think about that story you told me about our other AZ friend Bordello B.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    I caught the last 3-4 years of the old forum. I never planned on sticking around after my initial questions but those old jokers kept me stopping back. Here I am 14 years later.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    I'm old and old.
    canuckland
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,276
    I've been here since 2011 and am 77. I learned many things from some of the older guys, especially VI. 
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    Nice to see you back, @Mickey. You've been missed.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,765
    I've only been here since 2014 so I guess I'm not an old guy.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 316
    75 here. Mostly lurked the old board, as I do here.  I give you guys credit for all the good cooks and take the blame for the others.  Still learning to cook while enjoying the adult beverages =).
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 578
    I am 83 and been with BGE since 2013 when my wife bought me one and said cook.  Also Mickey's post on Brisket was my first try and I still use a modified version of it.  I have learned much here.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 907
    I’m 79. Been at this since very early 2000’s. Was more active on the Old Forum,  but finally found my way over here. Have a Large and Medium that are in action a lot.  Elder Ward’s brisket and pulled pork rubs are still a staple, as are Cat’s Ribs. Got a grid/grate lifter from LawnRanger that I still use constantly. 
  • Cool thread! Get off my lawn!!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• RRP
    Gandolf said:
    I’m 79. Been at this since very early 2000’s. Was more active on the Old Forum,  but finally found my way over here. Have a Large and Medium that are in action a lot.  Elder Ward’s brisket and pulled pork rubs are still a staple, as are Cat’s Ribs. Got a grid/grate lifter from LawnRanger that I still use constantly. 
    Hey stranger! Eggers Elder Ward and Cat are really  foreign names to most folks here and even Lawn Ranger hasn’t posted for mucho years if even ever on this forum. Many didn’t make the transition. I date back to 2000 myself on Mr Miller’s original forum.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    edited September 19
    RRP said:
    Gandolf said:
    Hey stranger! Eggers Elder Ward and Cat are really  foreign names to most folks here and even Lawn Ranger hasn’t posted for mucho years if even ever on this forum. Many didn’t make the transition. I date back to 2000 myself on Mr Miller’s original forum.

Been here since around 2014. I recognize LawnRanger and Cat, but not Eggers Elder Ward.  Recognize Cat not from posts but from mentions about recipes.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• fishlessman
    Cats ribs are very unique, worth trying if you have never had them. The only recipe for ribs I've seen juniper berries. I like that spice but it's not for everybody
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    I can’t exactly remember, pre Katrina by a year or 2 . I posted on the old forum for a while before I switched to this one.
  • Cats ribs are very unique, worth trying if you have never had them. The only recipe for ribs I've seen juniper berries. I like that spice but it's not for everybody
    Cat ribs?

That a recipe outta Springfield?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I have 4 feral cats that hang out near my Egg. The Karen’s that feed them might object though.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    edited 12:20AM
    Check out the following re: the old days and recipes including Elder Ward's  https://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm.
    Landed here (old forum) in late 2010 after being exposed to the BGE several years prior (1994). Yep-slow on the uptake by a good friend who lived a couple of thousand mies away at the time. Since moved to the same town but life (kids) got in the way.  After launching the last one outbound I came to my senses and here I am.  
    As Leroy "Stachel" Paige said, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?"
    And my guiding principle: "
    Don't look back. Something might be gainin' on you."
    Seven plus decades of laps around the sun and good to go for a few more.
    Happy Friday Eve.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 156
    Started lurking on old forum in 2000 just after my first egg.  Remember the old fire brick set up for indirect cooks. Seem to remember an egger who had a set up in OBX, maybe GFW? Also Sally and Wess B. Too many others to thank for their contribution and help for a newbie, Nature Boy for sure. 63 yrs young 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Don't forget AZRP's The Chicken.
    canuckland
  • RRP
    REB17 said:
    Started lurking on old forum in 2000 just after my first egg.  Remember the old fire brick set up for indirect cooks. Seem to remember an egger who had a set up in OBX, maybe GFW? Also Sally and Wess B. Too many others to thank for their contribution and help for a newbie, Nature Boy for sure. 63 yrs young 
    No, Gfw lived .25 mile from me here in Dunlap, IL. BTW Gordon retired and moved to the Gold Coast in Chicago and gave away his egg since grills were not allowed in their high rise condo.