Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Possum Tacos

Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,232
Yesterday morning, Millie Nelson (the dog) had this fat he!fer of a possum cornered in the backyard. The possum and the dog were frightened half to death. The possum actually walked right into the fish net and sat down for me! God’s honest truth too.  It was ready to get out of that corner!

Fast forward til today. Turbo’ed the possum at 325 deg f with JD Whiskey barrel oak smoke until it registered 170 deg IT. Foiled it until it hit about 205 deg IT. Sometimes possums are ready at around 197 deg f, but this one took a little longer. It had a good jiggle, so figured it was time to pull. 

Made some tacos out of it tonight with homemade sweet and spicy pickled onions. 

Not many people realize how tasty possums are. You just have to be careful to remove the glands. 

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 779
    I have had several possums give up in traps. They open their mouth still like they're aggressive but then they lazily walk away when I let them out miles from the house. I'd like some pictures of the dirty stuff to believe the above though, or at least a recipe  =)@SGH may be interested 
  • Dyal_SC
    It’s so common where I’m from @Elijah , that I didn’t even think of taking prep pix!  Possum is just known as the other white meat in my house. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,122
    I remember shooting one off my back porch… the next morning it was gone.
     Well played possum 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dyal_SC
    They’re supposedly great about eating ticks, so they’re good to have around.  If I ever have them within the fence, I just relocate them to the other side. So my dog doesn’t kill it. But this one looked too darn delicious. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,505
    I am originally from Idaho. We don’t have possums there, that I’ve ever known of. When I joined the Navy, on of my best friends was from south Alabama. I went home with him one time where he told me one of their favorite past times was driving 4-wheelers around kicking them. I never partook in that activity. Seems a cruel. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,663
    My first Boxer the female did this twice. She cornered them about 5 feet from the dog door or 10 feet from her foot bowl. I didn’t net them, I went medieval on them with a rake handle. She carried the first one in and strutted around like she was the big bad B. After a few minutes I put it in the deep freeze until garbage day. My male Boxer that followed couldn’t be bothered. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    I am originally from Idaho. We don’t have possums there, that I’ve ever known of. When I joined the Navy, on of my best friends was from south Alabama. I went home with him one time where he told me one of their favorite past times was driving 4-wheelers around kicking them. I never partook in that activity. Seems a cruel. 
    Possum Polo?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,520
    Grab it by its scruff and move it. They’re pretty docile. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Dyal_SC said:
    They’re supposedly great about eating ticks, so they’re good to have around.  If I ever have them within the fence, I just relocate them to the other side. So my dog doesn’t kill it. But this one looked too darn delicious. 
    Yes sir.  I do t disturb possums when they’re doing their job.   Ticks and other fouls insects that like to mess with dogs/humans.    We routinely have 1 in our backyard at night.  I welcome them but have never plated one.   Too many other options.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Paolo
    Paolo Posts: 41
    Is still don’t get if this is some sort of joke or if really one can do pulled possum. Seriously, I tend
    to miss the subtleties like irony when dealing with English language
  • Paolo said:
    Is still don’t get if this is some sort of joke or if really one can do pulled possum. Seriously, I tend
    Always good to keep an open mind on this forum - some apparent jokes turn out to be real and some apparently real posts turn out to be jokes. 

I can understand the language barrier compounding the uncertainty. 

We’re just lucky we don’t have to converse in our second languages. I don’t think many here would catch the nuances of your Italian - I wouldn’t. 🙂
  • Paolo
    Paolo said:
    Always good to keep an open mind on this forum - some apparent jokes turn out to be real and some apparently real posts turn out to be jokes. 

We’re just lucky we don’t have to converse in our second languages. I don’t think many here would catch the nuances of your Italian - I wouldn’t. 🙂
    Agreed and thanks for the understanding.
    But still wrapping my head around the possum question..
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,199
    If anyone wants to relocate their opossums to MY backyard, I’ll gladly take as many as I can get. 

Incredible creatures. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,855
    Paolo said:
    Paolo said:

Agreed and thanks for the understanding.
    But still wrapping my head around the possum question..

Many of us are.
    NOLA
  • Paolo
    Dyal_SC Ha!  Sorry about that. It is indeed just a joke. I placed the possum gently on the other side of the fence that he eagerly was attempting to get around. 😆 It did actually walk into the net and sit down. It was ready to get back to foraging insects and escape the wrath of the barking labradoodle. 

The meat was pulled pork. No possums were harmed — just a pig. 🐽
    Ha! Fell much better now! And btw very good looking cook there
  • I lived in Southern California until fairly recently. While I was working in aerospace, I had a close friend who described himself as an Arkansas Redneck. If he's still alive, he's over 90. He had some interesting experiences at Boy Scout camp in rural Arkansas. Once, someone caught a possum and the scouts did cook it. The braver (or crazier) scouts, including my friend, ate some of it. No one had more than one bite. My friend said it was really nasty and tasted rancid. From the look on his face when he was telling me this story, I believe him. 

They also built a still, and some of the scouts had more than one sip.... I asked if they got a chemistry merit badge....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,103

They also built a still, and some of the scouts had more than one sip.... I asked if they got a chemistry merit badge....
    Wait... there was a Chemistry merit badge?!?  Dammit.  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,780
    I’ve got a buddy from Kansas that eats coon. Says Possum is disgusting lol
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,520
    edited August 1
    I have an old settlers cookbook somewhere and it has recipes for possum, coon and beaver. Mostly for stew if I recall correctly. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 699
    Botch said:

Wait... there was a Chemistry merit badge?!?  Dammit.  
    No, but there is a napping merit badge for scoutmasters. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Dyal_SC
    ColtsFan said:
    Grab it by its scruff and move it. They’re pretty docile. 
    A turd is docile too, but I’d rather not touch it with my bare hands. Especially right before work, post shower. 😝 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,103
    Can I just say that I'm glad to be a part of a forum where "Pulled Possum Tacos" is a popular thread?   :)

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

• Gulfcoastguy
    I can imagine launching that possum from the net like a lacrosse ball. Yeet! Right over the fence into the hospital grounds.
  • Dyal_SC
    Pulled possum egg rolls next up!  🐭 🥢