Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dishoom’s Chicken Ruby

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited February 27 in EggHead Forum
(Either my computer, or Vanilla, is having a moment. Hence the trouble with putting together a coherent thread).

Dishoom is a casual Indian restaurant chain in London, with a Bombay Parsi cafe feel/theme. I haven't eaten there myself, but the menu, and grub,  look terrific. I bought their cookbook quite some time ago, but its been a while since I made anything out of it. 

Chicken Ruby is their take on butter chicken. Some different spices, similar concept, though. Marinate the protein, then grill it. Make the "makhani" gravy/sauce, and put the two together. 

Letting all the flavors get  friendly in the fridge. I'll update after eating it tomorrow!

Spices - two Parsi spice mixes from the book, and Kashmiri mirch (like paprika).

The makhani sauce. Yes, it calls for extra fried garlic! The green stuff is kasuri methi.

Put it all together, and you get...

Letting all the flavors get  friendly in the fridge. I'll update after eating it tomorrow!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,983
    Options
    Dios mio 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 374
    Options
    I don't know quite what it is, but it looks just fine to me. Details?
    -- Thanks!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • caliking
    Options
    Corv said:
    -- Thanks!
    Sorry... something was going on, and Vanilla wouldn't let me save a draft to edit later. It makes more sense now.

• caliking
    Options
    I can't remember who it was, but another egghead cooked some recipes from Dishoom a while back. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    Looks Amazing! 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,583
    Options
    Interesting and looks great as always. Looking forward to your opinion 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    caliking said:
    Corv said:
    -- Thanks!
    Sorry... something was going on, and Vanilla wouldn't let me save a draft to edit later. It makes more sense now.
    @caliking dish looks great and I am quite certain you amped up the garlic.
    You may want to change your default browser.  I find none of the three I use behave the same way at times.  Today I had to kill Firefox as it locked up a link to which I intended to upload documents.  This time I went with Safari and no issues.  
    This tech crap...😎
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks in-“farkin’”-credible. Maybe a smidge short on the garlic though; after all, you’ve got a reputation to keep up. 🤭
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,087
    Options
    There is a lot to like in that ingredient mix.  Looking with anticipation to the followup tomorrow.  Vanilla needs a scratch-and-sniff function.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    Waiting on the exact measurements 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    That's funny right there.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    I can't remember who it was, but another egghead cooked some recipes from Dishoom a while back. 
    it was @Acn !

• caliking
    Options
    lkapigian said:
     Like speed limits, the recipe was just a suggestion :smiley:

• caliking
    Options
    dbCooper said:
    There is a lot to like in that ingredient mix.  Looking with anticipation to the followup tomorrow.  Vanilla needs a scratch-and-sniff function.
    The technique/method is similar to the usual butter chicken recipes, but the spices are somewhat different, so I'm keen to find out how the taste differs. Interestingly, this recipe didn't call for any onion. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    Superb as always 
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 374
    Options
    Thanks! Looks great.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,308
    Options
    Now I have a craving for the Indian restaurant on the other side of town. The last thing that I had there was mango chicken curry, butter chicken sounds good for the next time.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    Looks amazing as always. Tuned in for the money shot.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    Options
    Now I have a craving for the Indian restaurant on the other side of town. The last thing that I had there was mango chicken curry, butter chicken sounds good for the next time.
    A friend of mine used to make a pretty good mango chicken chicken curry. Mango chicken curry is not typically on the menu at most Indian restaurants, so the place you go to may be on to something. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,308
    Options
    caliking said:
    A friend of mine used to make a pretty good mango chicken chicken curry. Mango chicken curry is not typically on the menu at most Indian restaurants, so the place you go to may be on to something. 
    Of the 3 things that I have had there I like it best. The chicken spinach was good and the other thing was better. They have a very extensive menu and I hope they stay in business long enough for me to work my way through.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,583
    Options
    @caliking. That’s truly a beautiful plate of food 👏👏
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Oh yeah.  That's a beautiful plate for sure.  I'd make a fool of myself with that - pushing the elderly and children out of the way to get seconds.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Oh yeah.  That's a beautiful plate for sure.  I'd make a fool of myself with that - pushing the elderly and children out of the way to get seconds.
    Thanks. You could probably just lean over them, and grab whatever you want :smiley:

• caliking
    Options
    @caliking. That’s truly a beautiful plate of food 👏👏
    Thanks. The pomegranate added a great little pop of flavor, and crunch, to each bite. I wasn't expecting it to  add as much as it did.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,430
    edited February 29
    Options
    YES!  I want to eat that!

(I am assuming that is all the garlic that your chopper/processor can handle and you made multiple batches of garlic goodness.)

Also, 

We have been cooking out of MJ's book and enjoying it.

EDIT: This is not the book @caliking recipe for the above meal came from.  More of a side topic. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    YES!  I want to eat that!

(I am assuming that is all the garlic that your chopper/processor can handle and you made multiple batches of garlic goodness.)

Also, 

We have been cooking out of MJ's book and enjoying it.

EDIT: This is not the book @caliking recipe for the above meal came from.  More of a side topic. 

Ha! :)

That is an excellent book, BTW. Its what I usually recommend to folks who want to dive into Indian cooking. Simple, flavorful recipes by the doyenne of Indian cooking. 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    The last photo got me.

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    Options
    @caliking - That is a great looking plate and magazine quality photo. I would inhale it.  Congrats.  Always a winner.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Killer dish my friend....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"