Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Help with ski trip out west

Options
Hey I know it’s a long way out but we’re planning ahead to get an idea of pricing. Any suggestions on a ski resort out west?  Looking at going between Christmas and New Years 2022. Family of four, average skiers that have never been out west in the winter. Would be flying out from the east coast. Any suggestions on lodging, ski resorts, etc would be a huge help because we’re overwhelmed and don’t even know where to start. 

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited December 2021
    Options
    It's early December and Denver hasn't gotten ANY snow yet; they're making snow at night but with temps in the 40's the next day, it's gone.  Here in utard there's been a dusting but I don't think anything's open yet, supposed to get "a few inches" this weekend.
    There may not be any skiing in '22, sorry to be a Debbie Downer.  Because of the lack of snow the last few years Lake Meade, Lake Powell and most of the CA reservoirs are down to around 1/4th capacity, we're going to be losing not only irrigation this coming year, but even elec capacity (I would NOT want to be living in a 5th-story apartment in LV, Phoenix or Palm Springs, this coming summer).  
    If I were in your shoes I'd be looking at Montana, ID, WA or Canada.  As far as pricing, I have no idea.  Again, sorry for the bad news, but the press isn't reporting just how bad things out here are anymore; it could change but I'm not holding my breath.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    A few weeks ago we finalized our plans for skiing this upcoming holiday season from December 26 to January 1.

I've skied in Utah (Park City and The Canyons), Colorado (Vail, Beaver Creek, Keystone, Breckenridge), California (Mammoth), Montana (Big Sky), and Canada (Whistler).  They were all great - although they each have their strengths and weaknesses.  My recommendation is to simply be an opportunist and see what you can get that fits your groups lodging needs - using Expedia or some similar source.  However, you won't get any deals at the time you are going.

I've heard great things about Steamboat Springs.

Only go to Jackson Hole if you are expert skiers.

If you go to any of the resorts that use the EPIC pass, that's the way to buy your lift tickets and save on other things as well.

We usually end up at a place that is on the local shuttle route, but have occasionally been able to afford a ski-in/ski-out spot.  Not having to take a shuttle is nice but I can't say that we look back at those trips as truly being better.

With all of that said, and with what Botch wrote above, I'd probably look at Big Sky and Whistler - at least of the places I've been.  The advantage to Big Sky is that you can visit Yellowstone when it is covered with snow and ice which is an amazing spectacle.  The advantage to Whistler is that you don't have to deal with any real altitude issues because the base lodge is only about 2000 feet above sea level - and it is the only place in north American that has over a 1 mile vertical drop from top to bottom.  The disadvantage of Whistler is that it is international travel and during a pandemic that can be potentially burdensome.

PM me if I can help.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    I've skied most of the western resorts. Lake Tahoe, CO, WY, MT, UT. I'd steer you towards Lake Tahoe with the caveat that the weather is in general not been that conducive to skiing. Maybe insure your trip and see if you can time it right.

https://www.onthesnow.com/california/skireport

Mountain View, CA
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    The Tahoe Basin resorts. Squaw Valley ( now called Tahoe Palisades) Northstar, Heavenly, Kirkwood have been hurting for snow the past couple of years.

An amazing resort is Whistler / Blackcomb and if you stay in the village you have everything within walking distance and a fantastic mountain for skiing.

Jackson Hole and Steamboat are also favorites.

In Utah there are also some great mountains. Alta, Snowbird and a couple in Park City. 

If I had to choose I'd look at snow amounts for the past three years and let that get a strong vote.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    Snow totals are the other reason we’re looking early. I want to keep an eye on it through that same week this year. Thanks for the suggestions. Good stuff so far. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I've skied all over the place but the area that keeps me coming back is the Summit County area of Colorado.   From there multiple resorts are close:   Breckenridge, Keystone/A Basin, Copper Mountain and just down the road a bit are Vail / Beaver Creek.    You can stay in Dillon or Frisco or the resorts.  Plenty to do around towns if you want a day(s) off and all places are easy to get to.   

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Skiing the week between Christmas and New Year's is a nightmare.  Everything is packed.  Hard to get a decent restaurant reservation anywhere.  I'm not doing that again any time soon.
    NOLA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Come to Iowa!  Plenty of cross country trails and you don't have to deal with all the headaches of driving in snowy mountains!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Options

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,086
    Options
    Good info presented above.  I'd add Winter Park, Colorado to the main-stream resorts that have been listed.  Lots to like there, worth adding to your research list.
    Depending on what you're after, Ski Cooper (not to be confused with Copper Mtn.) could be on your list.  It is relatively small terrain/vertical drop wise and reasonably priced, one of my favorite places to ski.  https://www.skicooper.com/  *note I am in no way affiliated with it! 
    If you're after the Apres-Ski experience you won't find it there, nor will you get lift lines or a long walk from the parking area to the base.  The old silver mining town of Leadville is nearby and offers reasonably priced lodging and restaurants.  Also, if Leadville is your base, scenic highway 91 will get you to Copper Mountain in 30-45 min, most excellent skiing there.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Options
    To the OP, its now snowing big-time and they're expecting up to 30" tomorrow already.  Didn't mean to be so dour above...

• AprèsSki
    Options
    Lots of good comments above. Just like your investment advisor tells you, prior performance is not predictive of future results. Snow amounts vary so much from year to year. This Xmas week could (& probably will) be different than next year's. They also change from week to week, Tahoe is a great example of this. They can go from zero to 20 feet in a week, depending upon where the jet stream hose is pointing. 

If I were to speculate, the higher elevations of the CO resorts (except Steamboat) seems to help them get good conditions quicker than UT, WY and CA. Great conditions are another story, it just take one monster storm to make a season and UT & CA get them more often.

As for access; Jackson, Telluride, Steamboat and Big Sky are harder to get to than Tahoe, the I-70 CO resorts and Utah. Especially Utah, you can easily be skiing in Park City or Alta on the afternoon you fly into SLC. PCMR & DV used to have a coupon where you could trade that day's boarding pass for a day pass. 

As an 'average' skier I'd skip Jackson, Alta, Snowbird, Telluride and Whistler. In Utah I would check out the Wasatch back resorts of Park City & Deer Valley or Snowbasin and Powder Mountain which are north of SLC. In CO Steamboat, Winter Park, Vail, Copper and Keystone are great for intermediates. 

For a western 'ski town' experience Steamboat, Park City, Vail, Sun Valley and Aspen are hard to beat. Jackson and Telluride are too but I'd skip due to the difficulty of the skiing terrain. 

Do you really need to come out Xmas week? It will be a zoo, the snow may be bad and lodging will be expensive. March is much better for snow quality and sunshine and the crowds are a little smaller. Besides Xmas week, President's Day Weekend and the weeks before and after are also very busy. 

Having said all of that, if money is no object and it must be Xmas week in the Rockies, fly private into Bozeman and stay at the Yellowstone Club. It will be an amazing holiday.

Sent from Ski City where it is finally snowing so I can start my 30th season living and skiing out west.
    Firing up my XL Big Green Egg, KJ Jr. or Weber gasser in Salt Lake City
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    My wife is a teacher and my kids are still in highschool so we’re limited on travel times. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My wife is a teacher and my kids are still in highschool so we’re limited on travel times. 
    Growing up in NH, my mom was a teacher so I know what that’s like.  We used to do ski vacations over the winter holidays too.  

The one I remember was Mont Tremblant in Montreal.  I want to say it was 20 below and we still skied.  Brrrr!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • danhoo
    edited December 2021
    Options
    If you are considering summit county Colorado, consider the elevation.

we went years ago and a friend in his 20s, in OK shape didn't take it seriously, drank more than suggested, got dehydrated, was sent off to Denver and took a train home vs flying.

"Locals" from Denver or Co. Springs are used to 5000+ ft elevation, but us sea level folks take a bit to acclimate.

The town of Breckenridge, Colorado sits at 9,600 feet above sea level, and the Breckenridge Ski Resort’s summit elevation reaches 12,998 feet, creating an unforgettable high alpine climate with low humidity and year-round sunshine.

The mountains of Breckenridge are majestic and snow-capped most of the year, with ample sunshine (300+ days on average), fresh mountain air and low humidity providing a remarkable experience in the summer and the perfect powder for ski season. But enjoying life in the beauty of the high country above 9,000 feet takes some adjusting.

When you go to higher altitudes, this pressure drops and there is less oxygen available. Add on a dry high-alpine climate, thinner air (that’s why your golf ball goes further) and powerful sun, even on a cloudy day- these conditions can increase the potential for altitude sickness. Thankfully, there are easy ways to adapt to the environment and fully enjoy all the activities and wonders the mountains have to offer.

https://gobreck.com/plan-your-visit/breckenridge-altitude
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • BigGreenKev
    Options
    I agree with @foghorn and second Big Sky.  It's got everything you want.  You can save some money and stay in Bozeman.  It used to be a sleepy college town but has really developed the last handful of years.  Bozeman is about an hour drive to Big Sky but it's also a half hour drive to Bridger Bowl which is more the local spot with smaller lines. Still a great spot to ride.
  • Botch
    Options
    Seeing the comments about altitude sickness brought back (mostly) happy memories.
    The Kirtland AFB Officer's Ski Club (Albuquerque) started going up to Purgatory, Durango CO, right around the late 80's.  By happy coincidence, this was about the time the feds changed Washington's Birthday to either MLK Day or Indigenous People's Day, I can't keep track anymore.  The predominant political party (at that time) in Arizona refused to do so, and as an "FU" to the local old white guys, the ASU Sorority system decided to take the 4-day weekend off anyway, miss classes, and head up to.... Durango!
    Hope this isn't too hard to follow.  
    The next two happy coincidences: the late 80's is when the thin, tight ski pants were in vogue (think, Spandex); AND, for some reason the ASU Fraternity system did NOT follow on up to Durango; perhaps they were busy polishing their guns, I don't know.  
    Anyhoo, two great holiday weekends over two years!  Clean, cold air; blue skies; pretty spandex pants as far as the eye could see; great skiing; and fantastic food (Durango was a culinary treasure, I need to get back there).  
    The one thing we learned, early on, is to not ski underneath the chairlifts; they were full of nearly-sea-level college co-eds at altitude and who partied too much the night before.  
    But they did look nice in those ski pants.  :triumph:   

• danhoo
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Conditions in the Tahoe area can literally change overnight.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    danhoo said:
    If you are considering summit county Colorado, consider the elevation.

we went years ago and a friend in his 20s, in OK shape didn't take it seriously, drank more than suggested, got dehydrated, was sent off to Denver and took a train home vs flying.

"Locals" from Denver or Co. Springs are used to 5000+ ft elevation, but us sea level folks take a bit to acclimate.

The town of Breckenridge, Colorado sits at 9,600 feet above sea level, and the Breckenridge Ski Resort’s summit elevation reaches 12,998 feet, creating an unforgettable high alpine climate with low humidity and year-round sunshine.

The mountains of Breckenridge are majestic and snow-capped most of the year, with ample sunshine (300+ days on average), fresh mountain air and low humidity providing a remarkable experience in the summer and the perfect powder for ski season. But enjoying life in the beauty of the high country above 9,000 feet takes some adjusting.

When you go to higher altitudes, this pressure drops and there is less oxygen available. Add on a dry high-alpine climate, thinner air (that’s why your golf ball goes further) and powerful sun, even on a cloudy day- these conditions can increase the potential for altitude sickness. Thankfully, there are easy ways to adapt to the environment and fully enjoy all the activities and wonders the mountains have to offer.

https://gobreck.com/plan-your-visit/breckenridge-altitude
    ^^^^^^^^This.
    I have yet to be in the upper elevations, and not witness at least one SAR of an unfortunate person which succumbed to altitude sickness trying to bag a peak.

Be careful in your selection, be mindful of any of the symptoms of altitude sickness, stay hydrated, have a blast. 

Washington is a great place for skiing. It has several resorts for all levels of experience, and the powder is more common than not with over 460 inches of snow on average annually in some locations. However, you will likely be subjected to masks and reservations to ski, due to COVID-19, the last I had heard. Hopefully by the time you head out, it may change.

All the above recommendations are stellar, and If I could add just a couple more for your bucket list, to hit in your lifetime, Chamonix, France, and Tirol, Austria(actually, any in the alps of France, Italy Switzerland or Austria are amazing, but these were a couple of My Beautiful Wife’s and mine most favorites).

Best of luck, and shred.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    There are travel sites that publish lists of lift ticket prices across the US, some also give a good per person lodging cost.  All have gone up in price, but some are especially proud and it shows in their pricing.  Definitely explore if an icon or epic season pass works for you.  Depending on which you buy, you can get discounted friend and family day tickets, so it may work out that one or two season passes + discounted tickets is the best blend (spreadsheet is your friend here).  Both passes have east coast properties so you could always use for a little spring trip closer to home if you get the itch.  These passes usually need to be bought before the ski season starts.

Resorts didn’t all apply Covid strategies last year in the same way - some were more or less restrictive and the whole reservation/limiting people on the hill strategies differed.  If you’re traveling in, you’re going to want to ensure you can get on the hill, maybe staying on prem makes that easier or gives you priority, it’s worth asking.

Others have mentioned the altitude, I’ll just add that short of altitude sickness, it can be disruptive to your sleep, at least the first night or two if you stay above 8000-8500’
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Mountain sickness is no joke. Got off the plane to summitt count, keystone resort. Snowboarded all day and as much night, next morning on an oxygen tank throwing my guts up and couldnt see because of the migraine. Take danhoos advice into consideration. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I live at 55' above sea level but have been going to high elevation destinations for 40yrs.    While it does affect people differently the best thing to do is to seriously hydrate and take it easy the first day or two.

One of my daughters had mountain sickness get her one year we flew in and she tried to do too much too soon (within hours of landing). 

When we go during the summer months I now drive, give myself 2 days of acclimatizing/hydrating before going out to start bagging the 14ers or any other kind of hiking.

As mentioned in the above posts, Breckenridge's elevation (at town level) is 9600' and peaks exceed 12,000'.    If it's a fast and furious trip trying to get in as much as possible in a short period that may not be the best option.

If elevation is a concern there are lower options in New Mexico (don't know their snow conditions/base) but could be easier on the body.
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    Yeah, this year we're doing Christmas in Denver.  We will be at that altitude (about 5000 ft) for over 48 hours before driving to Breckenridge and skiing for a week.  I always tell my family that the first two days on the slopes are just for getting acclimated and getting your feet under you - relearning to get on and off the lifts, etc.   On day 3 it's time to consider pushing yourself and developing as a skier/snowboarder.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Another suggestion is Crested Butte in western Colorado. Since the plan is to go during the busy holiday time, I've always found Crusty Butt to have the shortest lift lines. Makes a big difference when you want to get a lot of skiing in. 
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited January 20
    Options
    We are going to plan a ski trip with our teenage sons in February. Looking for great skiing but not so high prices for Snowboarding. Where is the best value?
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    The Jones family reunion 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think Donner Summit is a good choice for you, but remember to bring a lot of family along, it's a long winter.
  • Botch
    Options
    And if I can recommend a good cookbook for your trip: How to Serve Your Fellow Man, by Connie Buhl.   B)

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    The Jones family reunion 

As soon as I saw OP's date of Dec 21 I said to myself jonesey strikes again, sure enough he doesn't disappoint

canuckland