Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - plz help me with this sharpening stone set - OT

Options
Heya gang! I hope your thanksgiving weekend is rockin!

my dad picked this little set up on a trip out west we took when I was a kid. It’s mine now. Can anyone help me out a bit with the stones and if I have the order correctly numbered course to fine on the back ( I II III ) ?

I used to be great at hand sharpening on stones, but this isn’t really giving me the edge I am looking for…

thanks
all. 

8-D

Thanks everyone
8-D

EDIT - cross posted to the main forum, because new vanilla makes it virtually impossible for anyone to see threads in any other category. Including me. The OP. Whack. 
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    @nolaegghead @SGH ( where has Scottie been?)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Maybe he finally had some tainted anus?  😱
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Maybe he finally had some tainted anus?  😱

My cousin Billy had a tainted anus. He was running naked through a field of wildflowers and just when he thought to himself, "this thing is gonna smell great for a month" he hit a thornbush and at least three thorns went up his bum, un-bee-knownst to him.vIt took maybe six days for the taint to get to his anis.
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Seems ridiculous that I have to ask this

can we PLEASE restrain offensive responses in this thread about my dead dad’s sharpening stones?

id appreciate it. 

I
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,411
    Options
    The descriptions read like a coarse stone (washita),with medium (soft) and fine as the hard stones as you have them numbered, I, II, III.
    The surface of the stones should have a noticeable difference in feel, especially the coarse one. 
    Find a little used knife and have at it.  Google Arkansas sharpening stones but I suspect you can soak them in water before using then keep the surface wet during the sharpening.  FWIW.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hvhunter
    Options
    Burrfection on yt has some great vids that should get you going. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Google Arkansas sharpening stones but I suspect you can soak them in water before using then keep the surface wet during the sharpening.  FWIW.
    Aren't Arkansas stones used with oil?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,130
    Options
    Botch said:
    lousubcap said:
    Google Arkansas sharpening stones but I suspect you can soak them in water before using then keep the surface wet during the sharpening.  FWIW.
    Usually a nice light mineral oil is used with Arkansas stones.  On my Japanese stones, a key is to make a slight slurry on top.  Not sure if you do that with these.

By the way, that is a gorgeous set of stones.  Enjoy in good health.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Botch said:
    lousubcap said:
    Usually a nice light mineral oil is used with Arkansas stones.  On my Japanese stones, a key is to make a slight slurry on top.  Not sure if you do that with these.

By the way, that is a gorgeous set of stones.  Enjoy in good health.
    Thanks
    man. 

I think it was more a sentimental purchase of one of our cross country trips. My dad was a special cool guy..

would I do the “shave method” with Arkansas stones, where I learned to try and almost skin the stone in one direction, or more of a back and forth motion that I’ve seen some people do?

I definitely have the mineral oil. I’m guessing that’s as good as any other oil on the stones. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,354
    Options
    Are you trying to sharpen blades with more modern steels and high Rockwell hardness? If so, Arkansas stones may not be quite up to the task.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Never had a washita stone but the middle soft arkansas stone is usually white and the hard stone is a dark grey. The really hard black stone is a surgical black which you don't have. The harder the stone, the smoother the draw when you slice into it while sharpening the knife. I don't think the stones are in the right order. I just use water now, oil clogs the stones over time. If you change back to water it's soap soak in water, Repeat for a few days
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Are you trying to sharpen blades with more modern steels and high Rockwell hardness? If so, Arkansas stones may not be quite up to the task.
     Not usually. Anything like my Shuns usually gets sent off once a year or so. I’ll use this more for the German steel kitchen knives and pocket knives. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE