Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advance planning- NATIONAL CHICKEN WING DAY July 29-time for those BGE favourites (nod)

lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 33,482
Wanted to offer the alert as we are at 6 days and counting.  Get creative and enjoy.  No need for additional menu planning.
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,030
    Thanks for the heads up 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    As is my luck, I will miss the opportunity to celebrate such a deserving holiday, due to travel arranged that day by My Beautiful Wife. I will find wings somewhere somehow, and at least gnaw on a few, even if I must hit a KFC or similar drive through.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    edited July 2023
    I don't do wings very often but looking forward to giving this a go, orders 20 pounds for delivery friday ( whole wings ) will probably just go SPG on all and offer up a few sauces paired with a Tabbouleh Salad 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    I ordered some rubs from John Henry and I am hoping they arrive before the 29th!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Two weeks ago I had enough dill pickle juice to soak a pkg of wangs again.  With a timing error they soaked for 36 hours instead of overnight, much better and my new MO is now 36 hours.  
    Have a couple days left to plan something similar, or completely different.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Langner91
    Two grills lit!  I am doing Raspberry Chipotle on one grill and Hot on the Mini-Max.  My Dad got to go home from the hospital yesterday and I asked if he would like some wings for lunch, I was thrilled he said yes!  

I will grill them and take them over this afternoon.  Photos to follow.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap said:
    Late lunch-flats only.  Buffalo on the left, sweet hot mustard on the right.  Just what was needed. 
    Edit to fix brain fart-
    That’s a plate for me. Flats be my fave. 

What did you wash it down with?

I think I’ve convinced my household we need to share in the celebration of today, so my thanks to you for the heads up and incentive. 
  • lkapigian

Just SPG and MSG, I don’t do wings much but here’s my contribution, thanks @lousubcap for the incentive 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    @lkapigian - I am humbled and rightly so given your 20 lb order pictured above.  Go big or go home (I'm home...) regarding that spread you cranked out.  I would crush 'em all, save the raw ones... B) Well done!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • And so the prep begins. Sauce in progress. Thanks for the notice, @lousubcap

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    Righteous @lkapigian !!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    @GrateEggspectations just seeing the two pics you posted is calming...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    lkapigian said:

Dude, you ferment so much of your own delicious-looking hot sauces:

...why do you buy an expensive selection of commercial condiments?  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• lkapigian
    Botch said:
    lkapigian said:

Dude, you ferment so much of your own delicious-looking hot sauces:

...why do you buy an expensive selection of commercial condiments?  
    LoL pure curiosity… they all tasted the same 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    @GrateEggspectations way to adapt and acknowledge an across the border holiday.  You did it right proud.  Much more healthy and too much green for me. B) (But the wing skin...top shelf finish right there!)
  • caliking
    @Langner91 - fine lookin' wangs!

If you like the John Henry rubs, Mojave Garlic Pepper and Texas Chicken Tickler are quite good.

• Langner91
    Thank you!  I will put those two on my wish list. 

My Dad really enjoyed the raspberry chipotle.  It was a little sweet for me, but I like how sticky it made the wings.  A couple of them had a bit too much char to be sticky, so temperature control is important with that one.  And, if a person has an aversion to clumpy rubs, that one isn't for them.  I actually just broke some up and put it in a bag with the wings and did the shake method.  They made their own marinade.

I am making two pork chops tonight using the same method.  Will see if I can prevent burning.
    Clinton, Iowa