Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,588
    Options

Good to be back home drink🥃
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    Sazarec old fashioned. Yesterday my monthly bourbon club picks came in.  I got a Four Roses OESV single barrel, Starwood (Australian whiskey), and the Saz ($25).  All of these are picks from a local store.  SWMBO, who isn’t thrilled with my bourbon hobby, happily drove me the 45 min to the store and came with me to get my order because I’m still not able to drive for another month. She’s a keeper   
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,448
    Options
    I've gotta drive around 62 miles (time is a variable, distance is fixed... B)) to the 4 Roses distillery to get whatever their "not available for prime time" offering is available.  Always call and when you get into the OE family, road trip!
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

One of my favorites. Surpassed only by the 16 and Sam Houston 15. Outstanding. Enjoy!
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I've gotta drive around 62 miles (time is a variable, distance is fixed... B)) to the 4 Roses distillery to get whatever their "not available for prime time" offering is available.  Always call and when you get into the OE family, road trip!
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Congrats.
    Thanks Cap. I’m going to do a flight later tonight and will be opening the four roses soon. It’s great you are so close to the distillery. Enjoy your weekend. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Ragingirishman2 - I honestly think the further from the epicenter the better the selections.  Exported (domestic and international) rules the market. 
    I got my last two bottles of EH Taylor single barrel ( 2 plus years ago) from Charleston, SC and Dallas, TX. 
    Not like I'm gonna find anything around here on a routine basis unless I am willing to pay museum shelf prices.  That's not gonna happen.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,441
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @ColbyLang - that is some serious focus to satisfy all the palates as you decide the flavour (nod) profile. 
    How many of the private blend does your group get first access to when available?
    So my whole group didn’t attend. Me and one other. The local Maker’s salesperson, and the store’s GM…….the flavor profile was the hard part to determine because it’s not about what I or we want. It’s about what’s gonna sell 240 bottles to the general public. We settled on a very good every day drinker that will come in around 105 proof

should take 4 months to get the finished product. We will be allowed to buy 6 bottles each at cost for our efforts yesterday. It’s been my experience that while some store picks sell quickly, Makers doesn’t tend to be one of them. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Not consuming but soon. Daily haul. 

I get that life is not fair but that buy is also well outside the bounds of fair.  Sweet.
    Better to be lucky than good right there. 
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options

The lovely merchant at the front of my neighborhood wants $65 for ER.  I told him Wednesday “remember when you sold me that same bottle 3yrs ago for $27”?   He said yes and shrugged his shoulders.  

I won’t give above $30 for it
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • pgprescott
    Options

The lovely merchant at the front of my neighborhood wants $65 for ER.  I told him Wednesday “remember when you sold me that same bottle 3yrs ago for $27”?   He said yes and shrugged his shoulders.  

You will either be extremely lucky or you won’t be drinking any. They routinely get $100. I feel that its value is still there at $65 as it is a very good 10yr. Just a mental hurdle to ignore what you already know was its value ten years ago. Same with Heaven Hill BIB and some others. They are all more than they used to be based upon market forces. I can still walk in and buy a dozen bottles of BT for 25-26 bucks. I used to walk into better liquor stores routinely and find Blanton for @ $60 bucks or so with dust on them because ain’t nobody gonna give $60 for a bottle of bourbon when I can get one for $20 or so. The only time I see these things at actual retail is at something like a Kroger or CVS chain that isn’t really in that business. It happens but people get struck by lightning too. 😁🥃
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I have recently scored Eagle Rare at the MSRP of $37 at a local Kroger.  I now have enough bottles to judiciously enjoy a pour on a reasonable frequency and I gave one to my son on his b'day.  He was happy.
    The distribution chain definitely ebbs and flows around here. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options

You will either be extremely lucky or you won’t be drinking any. They routinely get $100. I feel that its value is still there at $65 as it is a very good 10yr. Just a mental hurdle to ignore what you already know was its value ten years ago. Same with Heaven Hill BIB and some others. They are all more than they used to be based upon market forces. I can still walk in and buy a dozen bottles of BT for 25-26 bucks. I used to walk into better liquor stores routinely and find Blanton for @ $60 bucks or so with dust on them because ain’t nobody gonna give $60 for a bottle of bourbon when I can get one for $20 or so. The only time I see these things at actual retail is at something like a Kroger or CVS chain that isn’t really in that business. It happens but people get struck by lightning too. 😁🥃
    Too funny but true.   I actually didn’t enjoy ER so to me it’s no biggie but it’s more principal.   I’ll keep with EC SB as a daily pour but I’m sure that will skyrocket also.   The bourbon game is maddening.   Those of us that have been in it for a long time have seen where it’s gone over the years.   
  • pgprescott
    edited July 2023
    Options

Too funny but true.   I actually didn’t enjoy ER so to me it’s no biggie but it’s more principal.   I’ll keep with EC SB as a daily pour but I’m sure that will skyrocket also.   The bourbon game is maddening.   Those of us that have been in it for a long time have seen where it’s gone over the years.   
    I’ve long recommended EC to people. Great all around bourbon flavors, won’t blow out your palette, and is very reasonably priced. I’ll never argue that decision. I don’t see that blowing up. Now the barrel proof and toasted etc are on the brink. Less available at MSRP than previous years. 

• pgprescott
    Options
    Yep @lousubcap. Grocery stores are often hidden honey holes. I have one of another brand that has a locked area that I don’t think 95% of the people even know is there. It’s not well marketed and routinely has rare bottles at or very near MSRP. Nice find!
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I have a few ER in reserve, including a 375ml, store pick that I’m going to crack open this fall I just shipped out an ER bottle today to the winner of a charity auction where I donated the bottle. I enjoy a nice straight pour or a cocktail to help me slow down, take time to enjoy the birds in the yard and just live in the moment for awhile but it best enjoyed when shared with others
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,367
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,013
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColbyLang
    Options

Unsure of if or when it’ll get popped. A gift for my efforts in the Maker’s Pick. And by gift, I mean a below actual MSRP purchase. Ain’t mad
  • Ragingirishman2
    Options
    That is a great bottle. Enjoy and looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    That is a great bottle. Enjoy and looking forward to hearing your thoughts. 
    Agreed. This is from the latest batch (either 4 or 5). None have been as good as Batch 1 IMO
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    On @GrateEggspectations recommendation, I am trying some Canadian Cristal.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac looking forward to your review.  I vaguely recall in my youth the only bubbly we could afford was Cold Duck.  Perhaps a relative. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Ok, I cry Uncle.   Too many days over 100 when the humidity is this high.   

Lalo Tequila based Ranchwater.  
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 946
    edited August 2023
    Options
    If we have more than two days of high heat momma breaks out the thick gauze underwear. Sometimes  my sister Beulah gets more wraps of gauze  because ... as momma put it ... sometimes her thing leaks red die number five comes out, which I looked up and they use to make all kinds of important red things like crayons, and stop signs, and really irritated beaver asses. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    old fashioned, with the Delta Sky Club’s house bourbon (apparently Old Forester)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,801
    Options

pick up a bottle of matues and do a side by side.... if it aint matues it aint no use. only sparkling wine ive ever had
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,673
    Options

Holy macaroni, that brings back memories!  I didn’t know this was available anywhere else than local groceries in the 80s 😂🤣