Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,138
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The post SM grill outcome:  ( a little heavy before the cave man...):
    Topside with some yet to finish ABT's, local Italian sausage and a Porter Road Ribeye:
    Down into the caveman pit:
    And as always the $$ shot. (Too much suntan on the outside but first time with the SM caveman-virgin deal.)
    I will do it again and soon.

My man, what a gorgeous cook!  Perfect meat to veggie balance too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @4TheGrillOfIt

Looks like the perfect pre-jam meal. Enjoy your new Fender!
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    @4TheGrillOfIt

Looks like the perfect pre-jam meal. Enjoy your new Fender!
    Thanks, GE! It was a post-jam meal.  Absolutely fantastic amp.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Making drunk pasta.  I'm drunk, the pasta isn't.

that sauce has been haunting me. looks so god, even in the pan. Deets?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,413
    edited June 2023
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations did you once work as a club room talent scheduler?? 
    He!! of a tease but nailed the finish.  Not enough loonies to toss your way for the evening and the window of opportunity rightfully enjoyed.  Nailed the cook!
    Edit for spelling correction.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:

That is a pretty basic sauce for Penne Rosa, make it a little different every time.  This time I softened half a diced shallot in probably 3 tbs olive oil (not EVOO), then added 1lb of sliced baby-bella.  Added salt pepper, some more olive oil and cooked them down a lot.  Then I added cherry tomatoes sliced in half (prefer a diagonal cut), and cook those down a lot too.  Sometimes I will pull the skins out, this time I did not.  Then add in a bunch of garlic.  Some thin sliced, and some micro-planed.  Cook down even more.  Then I season some more with salt and pepper, garlic powder and onion salt.  Then I add marinara, probably only 1.5 cups.  Once it is brought back to a simmer, I grate a healthy amount of parmesan reggiano (add a rind if I have it). I add some red pepper flakes and spinach.  Cook till I have incorporated about 3 handfuls of spinach.  I then add in tempered whipping cream, heavy cream, or whatever nice rich dairy product I have on hand.  Then I bring back to a simmer and season to taste.  Usually only have to add pepper and red pepper flakes at this point.  I keep it just shy of enough salt.  That is because I add fresh grated parmesan reggiano on the dish just as I serve it.  I find that adds enough additional salt and if I am not careful it will make the final dish to salty.  I also add more spinach just before I serve.  I like the cooked spinach and just wilted spinach juxtaposition.

I change it up most times based on what I have on hand and what my mood is.  I prefer more red pepper and even some cayenne or a dried carolina reaper, but the women folk in my house do not like too spicy.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Yes sir.  Great cook right there.  Sweet.  Styling with the fork placement as well. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,983
    Options
    Doing a couple of racks of spares tonight - STL cut.  Haven't done them in a while, I've been doing baby backs.   Got some meaty-looking ones from Costco -  will be smoked in the dishwasher.   It's a beautiful day here in NC.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    Options
    Glorious @JohnInCarolina

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2023
    Options
    update

Unfortunately a vagitarian showed up and disliked your post.  Unfortunate, because those look absolutely amazing!  Any red blooded American would love to suck the meat off those bones!
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    update

Unfortunately a vagitarian showed up and disliked your post.  Unfortunate, because those look absolutely amazing!  Any red blooded American would love to suck the meat off those bones!
    But @oz@Ozzie_Isaac

as it was pointed out to me yesterday, this is Pride month so be mindful with your wording. 🤦‍♂️
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Great colour (nod) on those ribs. 
    Now about sucking-there is a trailer hitch reference out there somewhere. 
    "

Famous Willie Nelson Movie Lines (Electric Horseman)

“I’m gonna get me a bottle of tequila and find me one of them Keno girls that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch and just kinda kick back.”

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    update

But @oz@Ozzie_Isaac

as it was pointed out to me yesterday, this is Pride month so be mindful with your wording. 🤦‍♂️

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    update

But @oz@Ozzie_Isaac

Ahh come on John…
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    update

But @oz@Ozzie_Isaac

Ahh come on John…
    🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,540
    Options
    paqman said:
    Day off today and it is strawberries season, surprised SWMBO with pancakes on the blackstone!

I see a pile of pancake points  ;)
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

That is a pretty basic sauce for Penne Rosa, make it a little different every time.  This time I softened half a diced shallot in probably 3 tbs olive oil (not EVOO), then added 1lb of sliced baby-bella.  Added salt pepper, some more olive oil and cooked them down a lot.  Then I added cherry tomatoes sliced in half (prefer a diagonal cut), and cook those down a lot too.  Sometimes I will pull the skins out, this time I did not.  Then add in a bunch of garlic.  Some thin sliced, and some micro-planed.  Cook down even more.  Then I season some more with salt and pepper, garlic powder and onion salt.  Then I add marinara, probably only 1.5 cups.  Once it is brought back to a simmer, I grate a healthy amount of parmesan reggiano (add a rind if I have it). I add some red pepper flakes and spinach.  Cook till I have incorporated about 3 handfuls of spinach.  I then add in tempered whipping cream, heavy cream, or whatever nice rich dairy product I have on hand.  Then I bring back to a simmer and season to taste.  Usually only have to add pepper and red pepper flakes at this point.  I keep it just shy of enough salt.  That is because I add fresh grated parmesan reggiano on the dish just as I serve it.  I find that adds enough additional salt and if I am not careful it will make the final dish to salty.  I also add more spinach just before I serve.  I like the cooked spinach and just wilted spinach juxtaposition.

I change it up most times based on what I have on hand and what my mood is.  I prefer more red pepper and even some cayenne or a dried carolina reaper, but the women folk in my house do not like too spicy.
    Thanks for the recipe. I haven't made a pasta sauce like this, so hope to try it soon.

• lousubcap
    Options
    You guys in the GWN are eating quite well of late.  Great outcomes, regardless of who cranked them out.  Sweet!