Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
I have really enjoyed the egg so much. I have made quite a few things on it but not a pork butt. Im going to be trying this soon.  If you wanted to serve diner at 6PM would you go low and slow over night?  Or start it in the morning?

Thank you,

J

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,787
    Options
    I’m in the large window camp, put it on early ( tonight ) I run 200 and bump as needed , while butt doesn’t benefit from a long rest like brisket noon off rest til 6 is fine … most of all enjoy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I plan on 1.5hrs/lb at 250.   Usually doesn’t take that long but I do like to let it rest in a cooler for a bit before the shredding starts.   

Oh and I typically aim for 205 IT fwiw.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,270
    Options
    Get up as early as you can. Start the fire first with some smoking wood. Go back inside, take the pork butt out, get some seasoning on it. Get the Egg to like 250, put the pork butt on, go back to sleep.  Depending on how early you got up, come back like around noon to check on it and go from there.

Too close to done? No problem, drop the temps down a little and ride it out.

To far from done? No problem, foil that sucker and continue on with your day.

You got this.
    Mountain View, CA
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    Start in the morning and go turbo-ish (275°-300°). If it finishes early FTC. If it’s not coming along as quickly, once you hit the stall (160°-170°) wrap in foil and stick in an over and bump the temp to 325°-350°.
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    THANK YOU ALL WHO RESPONDED.  I really appreciate it.  This forum is so helpful.  Great group of people.
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 355
    Options
    I'll throw in a comment to start a whole batch of comments.  Have you considered doing a turbo butt?  Ok guys,  go!
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited June 2023
    Options
    My preference is overnight, but I understand the appeal of throwing something on early. I'd also be more inclined to risk it not finishing in time if for my family vs. entertaining guests. Another option could be to load it up with plenty of charcoal and start it up the night before and just plan on getting up at 4 or 5 to throw meat on then. I wouldn't do it without some type of remote thermo with alarm, but this should allow for just a short interruption to your sleep. Should add that I'm not a fan of turbo, but modified turbo (300 range) is a compromise I can also live with. Lots of ways to get there, I'm sure whatever you end up doing will be great.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    6 lb shoulder took me 6h 15min to cook at 275F (Turbo method) ... but I'd recommend wrapping it at around 160F internal, until it hits 205F.  You could easily put on in late morning (10 am) and be eating by 6 pm, with a rest period just before dinner.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,990
    Options
    225° and let it ride. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    edited June 2023
    Options
    6 lb shoulder took me 6h 15min to cook at 275F (Turbo method) ... but I'd recommend wrapping it at around 160F internal, until it hits 205F.  You could easily put on in late morning (10 am) and be eating by 6 pm, with a rest period just before dinner.
    I follow this basic method. A few hours at 275° to develop a nice smoky bark and then wrap at about 160° internal for the rest of the cook. Once it's just over 200 internal I shut the egg down completely and leave the wrapped butt on for another hour. Then I pull it off and stick the wrapped butt in a cooler until dinner time. Whether that's an hour or three hours doesn't matter. While some will say pork butt doesn't benefit from a rest it sure doesn't hurt. You don't want to be shredding a 200° butt anyway, it will dry out too fast through evaporation.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,525
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I follow this basic method. A few hours at 275° to develop a nice smoky bark and then wrap at about 160° internal for the rest of the cook. Once it's just over 200 internal I shut the egg down completely and leave the wrapped butt on for another hour. Then I pull it off and stick the wrapped butt in a cooler until dinner time. Whether that's an hour or three hours doesn't matter. While some will say pork butt doesn't benefit from a rest it sure doesn't hurt. You don't want to be shredding a 200° butt anyway, it will dry out too fast through evaporation.

100% It's the way to go. 
    I'd say the only dangers with this method is if you leave it on too long before wrapping, you end up with a dry, hard outer layer, that isn't good to eat as pulled pork ... so as long as everyone is careful wrapping at 160F ... should be fine.

Second is ... there is less smoke time ... at lower temperatures, you can go unwrapped the entire cook, and this will increase smoke penetration ... whereas the turbo method, we should wrap at 160F ... which decreases smoke penetration time ... for me, it doesn't matter, because the sauces added pretty much take care of the taste.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    For a 6pm dinner time, I would try to be quite civilized about it and start in the morning.  Fire up charcoal first thing.  By the time breakfast is over the egg will be warmed up and ready to go.  Use a moderate temp (275º or so).  should be ready for dinner.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    I think I bought way to much meat.  But I can always send it home with some people.  Im a little concerned above it says 6LBS took 6 hours.  These are 12 and 16 lbs.  Also I wanted to buy the bone in but I could only find boneless.  Yall think thats a problem?  Now I am starting to think I should start the grill really late tonight with the egg genius, prepare the meat tonight stumble downstairs at 5AM and put them on the egg.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,676
    Options
    Those are most likely 2 butts to each package

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,859
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    This.

I'd take them out and rub them the day before you cook and see if this is true.  If so, it helps you make the plan.  With that said, the "do all the prep and light the egg the night before and just drop the meat on the egg in the morning" process has worked very well for me numerous times.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Im an idiot, you were 100% correct.  I thought I bought two but I actually bought 4.  
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Im an idiot, you were 100% correct.  I thought I bought two but I actually bought 4.  
    not an idiot at all - kirkland sells super cheap and boneless. 

That extra cryo will freeze super easy. 

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    not an idiot at all - kirkland sells super cheap and boneless. 

That extra cryo will freeze super easy. 

I decided to cook them all and I'll just give one or two away to friends.  Its never hard to get rid of BBQ.
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options
    I am hoping the meat shrinks up a bit.
  • SmokeyLosAngeles
    Options

I had to add a little foil to cover the ends.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,485
    Options
    Shrinkage is real-just like jumping into a cool water pool. Here you go-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.