Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinion: Burger Temp

Options
In your grill master opinion, what is the best temperature to cook burgers? 
Maitland, FL
XL BGE since 2019

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Are you asking the best temp at which to cook burgers or the best temp to declare victory and pull burgers?  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Are you asking the best temp at which to cook burgers or the best temp to declare victory and pull burgers?  =)
    Cook temp.  I know what temp I want them to be when I pull them. 
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    400 degrees
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    Toss the thermapens. Cook til the liquid rises to the top, flip until the liquid rises again
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    Options
    Interested in others answers on this one as well. I’ve been experimenting around anywhere from raised as low as 375 to grate at the lower position at 600 and all sorts of in between. I’m not sure I’ve come to a conclusion yet though. I’ve found lower temp doesn’t require as big of a fire, so there’s a bit more potential for hot spot vs cold spots which can be a challenge if cooking a bunch and wanting to use more of the real estate. Running higher temp seems easier to get a consistent heat across the coals, but flipping a bunch of fatty burgers down in the belly of the egg at 600 has its own unique challenges.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Weeknight...400+ top less direct. Till Medium

Weekend....400+ indirect to allow for more beverage tasting. 

But I've found when cooking more than a few burgers I pull them about 10 degrees shy. Put em on a pan. Cheese em. And put in a warm oven to melt the cheese. Way easier, all done at same time, and allows for another adult beverage. 

We almost exclusively use pimento cheese around these parts so by the time I've cheesed the 10th burger the first one is over done if left on the grill
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Smash burgers only in this house.  Screamin' hot flattop/cast iron/plancha/etc and smash those babies thin.

A particularly tasty audible to standard smash burger:

Thin slice a bunch of onions, put them on the flattop in a pile, set your 2oz meatball on top and smash that baby, let it cook for a bit ~1.5 minutes.  Then flip, add cheese if you are feeling froggy, cook for another 45 seconds to a minute. Remove and serve!
    Sounds crusty and delicious!
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Grogu
    Options
    Smash burgers only in this house.  Screamin' hot flattop/cast iron/plancha/etc and smash those babies thin.

Thin slice a bunch of onions, put them on the flattop in a pile, set your 2oz meatball on top and smash that baby, let it cook for a bit ~1.5 minutes.  Then flip, add cheese if you are feeling froggy, cook for another 45 seconds to a minute. Remove and serve!
    Adding this to my list of experiments to try!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    By the time I put all the other stuff on it, taste has been minimized.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I am lazy. Second use charcoal, no VOC’s.—-I light my egg with a weed burner, put on burgers, then wide open, race to finish. I get good sear and rare centers. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Oklahoma style!
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited June 2023
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Here's one batch.
    I just noticed that you live in Mountain View.  When I was a Lieutenant I did a bunch of TDYs to the Lockheed-Martin plant (in Sunnyvale), just SE of Moffett Field , where they had a couple of hangars for dirigibles.  Also fell in love with a small Irish pub in downtown Mountain View.  
    All that was, what, 39 years ago?  I had to pull up a Googlez Map to re-familiarize myself; thanks for the memory!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Heresy I know, but I never cook burgers on my Egg. When it's burger time, the Weber kettle gets the nod. There was a time I believed the grille should mimic the surface of the sun. Those days are passed, as patties with charred exteriors and raw interiors got old quick. I like a bed of Kingsford Mesquite that is fully involved and coated white. I spread them so the heat is medium high and even. I create a safe zone to one side. Patties spend enough time to develop a nice crust prior to flipping. When they just start to sweat on top it's time to flip. If they're extra thick I'll pull them off to the side and let them bake a bit with the dome closed. I let them rest just like you would a steak. Always a juicy medium to medium rare. Never not tasty.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Medium rare ... take off. By the time you eat, they're medium rare to medium, still lots of juice in them.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm sure some of you are waiting to pull the pin on the American cheese vs. others debate grenade, so I'll just make it easy for y'all... one slice each of American + sharp cheddar  is perfection.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 365
    Options
    Assuming the contact surface of the bun is toasted, I like to lay a slice of cheese on it. It'll partially melt. Naturally, the burger gets a slice on top. The result, if you like cheese, is delicious, with cheese on both side of the burger and both melted.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2023
    Options
    I like shredded medium (for burgers - also a fan of sharp for other purposes) cheddar - I think it melts better, and I like to scrape up the crusty bits from the iron skillet.
    NOLA
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Pimento Cheese almost exclusively here. With jalapenos...even better.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    Cracker Barrel Medium Cheddar Cheese PLEASE.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    caliking said:
    I'm sure some of you are waiting to pull the pin on the American cheese vs. others debate grenade, so I'll just make it easy for y'all... one slice each of American + sharp cheddar  is perfection.
    Have you even heard of pepper jack?!?!  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    caliking said:
    Have you even heard of pepper jack?!?!  

In the burger patty of course 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Pimento Cheese almost exclusively here. With jalapenos...even better.
    Pimento is very good. Not my top fave, but a very close second on this side. 

• Grogu
    Options
    If mushrooms might end up on the burger I feel that Swiss has to enter the conversation here…
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    500 degrees direct, the rest is up to you. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • caliking
    Options
    Grogu said:
    If mushrooms might end up on the burger I feel that Swiss has to enter the conversation here…
    As caliprince would say... "Aw, c'mon!!" :)

Swiss serves well as an adhesive, to stick the shrooms to the whole bidness. But, not adding much in terms of flavor. Swiss hits different in a cold sammich, though.