Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Louisiana Trip Memorial Day Weekend

TideEggHead
TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
edited May 2023 in EggHead Forum
Ok fellas, I’m coming here for the pro advice and to make sure I’m not off base for our food plans! In an effort to keep SWMBO happy we are headed to Mandeville to camp at Fontainebleau State Park for the weekend. About an hour from NOLA. I do have to work around SWMBO and the MIL’s activity plans for the weekend but I get to be in charge of where we eat! 

They want to take the kids to the Audubon zoo Saturday and the in-laws have never been to New Orleans so they want to hit cafe du monde for breakfast and spend most of the day Sunday in the French quarter. Last thing I have to work around is a bit of a budget on food (I can’t plan too many fine dining spots).  

As for food plans, here’s the list so far: 
Cafe du Monde 
Mr. B’s (reservations for jazz brunch)
Frankie and Johnnys (closer to the zoo)
Parkway Tavern 
Mandinas or Celsi’s 

I have a list of of other spots I’d like to hit but I don’t know if we will have time (Jacques imos, Clancys, Cochon) Commander’s palace was on the list but we can’t fit it in the itinerary. 

Probably a loaded question but anything you would take off the list or sub in? Preferably some budget friendly options (sub $30 per plate). We might be able to fit in another stop Sunday afternoon as we are eating earlier that morning for brunch. Oh and I am also hoping to stop and pick up some sausages and boudin on the way in or out.

LBGE
AL

Comments

• TideEggHead
    edited May 2023
    Thanks Cap, ahh yes I do need to add dragos to the list! I am also hoping @nolaegghead chimes in on food suggestions. I do like perusing all of the photos Nola posts of his hospitality at work.

I added Frankie and Johnnys to the list per Nola’s suggestion in another thread 
    LBGE
    AL
  • I haven’t been to NOLA for a few years but another great culinary item they have is the muffelatta sandwich. It sounds like you have a great plan and looking forward to a trip report. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Don’t get lost in the FQ. Especially after the sun goes down. NOLA ain’t what it was 5 years ago. Enjoy the zoo, insectarium, aquarium. WW2 museum. You’ll see all the street performances you want just walking along the streets. Plenty of goods that you’ve mentioned. Also many more that you’ll stumble across. Keep in mind cafe du Monde is strictly beignets and coffee/juice/milk. And it’s cash only. Try a cafe’ au lait. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Thanks Cap, ahh yes I do need to add dragos to the list! I am also hoping @nolaegghead chimes in on food suggestions. I do like perusing all of the photos Nola posts of his hospitality at work.

I added Frankie and Johnnys to the list per Nola’s suggestion in another thread 

F&J's doesn't currently have raw oysters, or they didn't as of Saturday.  So make a note if that's important to you.  Clesi's has good boiled crawfish, but the rest of their menu is pretty bad, as is their service.  Mandina's is ...  fine.

Parkway is great for poboy's, so F&J's (and Mandina's, to some extent) will mostly be more of the same.

Definitely give another though to Cochon Butcher (Cochon's more casual lunch-style adjunct).  Great and unique sandwiches.

Blue Crab on the lakefront is another reasonable local style seafood place, plus you get a nice view of the lake (they usually have oysters, crawfish, etc)

There is another location of Cafe du Monde in City Park, if you don't want to brave the crowds and hassle of the FQ location.

Have fun!
    NOLA
  • TideEggHead
    All good stuff fellas! Thank you all for the input. I will put Cochon butcher back on the short list.

@buzd504 would you put blue crab over Mandinas (I personally have never been to mandinas) as for overall food quality? And yes, oysters being on the menu at F&J's was part of the allure.

@ColbyLang Thank you for the reminder, yes, with kids in tow we don't plan to hang out in the FQ past about 5pm. Bourbon st. is not on the list other than maybe to grab a hurricane at the blacksmith's shop. I prepped the crew on cafe du monde (we may hit the one in Mandeville instead) and have a back up spot for a traditional breakfast if they don't get full.

LBGE
    AL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

@buzd504 would you put blue crab over Mandinas (I personally have never been to mandinas) as for overall food quality? And yes, oysters being on the menu at F&J's was part of the allure.

I would, yes, but it depends what you are looking for.

Once you get past the ubiquitous sandwiches, Mandina's leans more towards "creole Italian".  Red gravy, home cooking style hot plates, red beans (that's everywhere), etc.  Blue Crab is much more seafood oriented - etoufee, oyster stew, seafood salads, etc. 

I suspect you would enjoy either place, but ultimately it depends what you are looking for.  The view of the harbor/lake at Blue Crab is nice, though.

NOLA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    For my money, the best food quality to price ratio in New Orleans (or anywhere really) is at The Gumbo Shop.  They don't take reservations (last I knew) but you can put your name on the list and walk about a block to Jackson Square and enjoy the street performers until the text/page you.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Looks like lots of good advice.  Remember to wear your purple and gold....Geaux Tigers!!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Don't forget the World War 2 museum. It is certainly worth seeing, if you can have time. 
    https://www.nationalww2museum.org/
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    ColbyLang said:
    Don’t get lost in the FQ. Especially after the sun goes down. NOLA ain’t what it was 5 years ago. 
    We absolutely avoid the quarter and go to Frenchman Street.   One of my favorite places to eat https://www.marignybrasserie.com/

After dinner we usually wander a bit to find some music in the same area.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    Looks fun! Should've done an "after" pic at Cafe du Monde with the powdered sugar all over the place!