Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

25% off BBQ supplies from Rutland!

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options

I can't quite figure you out. you seem to have a boner for Rutland products, I thought maybe you were setting up your own shop, but you appear to be representing Rutland corporate?   Can you explain your affiliation with Rutland?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• BigBeefMaster1883
    Options
    Pretty presumptuous of you to assume what gives me a boner
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Pretty presumptuous of you to assume what gives me a boner
    You’ll have to excuse @alaskanassasin he just has a lot of experience, ahem… handling boners.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options

I can't quite figure you out. you seem to have a boner for Rutland products, I thought maybe you were setting up your own shop, but you appear to be representing Rutland corporate?   Can you explain your affiliation with Rutland?

canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We have a gasket troll. Whodathunkit?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Is this the full suite of bbq products?

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Go away corporate troll and make sure you tell your boss this wasn't the slam dunk you thought it was.

Your dog doesn't look happy.
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    They make good firestarter squares. Much better price than the BGE branded box when you get the 144 count. Very handy for fire pits and low and slow egg cooks. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    They make good firestarter squares. Much better price than the BGE branded box when you get the 144 count. Very handy for fire pits and low and slow egg cooks. 
    Agree, I use them and just ordered 2 boxes for a $15 savings over what I pay at Ace.
    Didn't hurt my feelings.
    Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2023
    Options
    caliking said:
     What ever happened to   @WesJohnson ?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    caliking said:
    My favorite of all time 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    These are what I use to light the egg/bonfires. They're fantastic.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    BUSTED SINCE MMXXIII
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Speaking of Rutland - could these 9 cardboard boxes of trash at the curb be evidence that RRP lives here? =)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    edited May 2023
    Options
    caliking said:
    @RRP found him.

Someone should let @BigRutland1883 know we already have a dealer, and we are loyal.

Also, does Rutland finally say we can use their gaskets on cooking devices?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    caliking said:

Only in 49 states.  The 50th state, that will remain nameless, finds that Rutland Gaskets cause cancer and/or birth defects. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options

The gasket they are selling for grilling food is white braid with adhesive on it and looks like a little different than the unofficial but vastly popular Rutland one that has been used with the orange goop stuff adhesive. So I would imagine the white braid has been vetted by Rutland for reasonable use that it won’t disintegrate into food. Another notable point Rrp brought up is they push for  install on dome and base and bottom. The unofficial one is usually only on the bottom.   I am not in the market or would do more digging. Maybe one of the video dudes will come up with some way to test them all. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This fiber-in-the-food issue comes up every now and then. I'm almost certain that during the course of egging, one will not ingest an appreciable quantity of gasket fiber to impact their health. 

Inhaling them regularly is a different matter. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    My first graphite impregnated Rutland outlasted my base, 8-9 years.  Second one going strong after 5 years or so.  Both saw (see) regular use in high-heat range, 500-700F.  Seems the Rutland kit is only good for six of those.  Maybe the 3M adhesive gives out?  I'll stay with what works.
    As for health issues, I believe @RRP has been using Rutlands for as long as anyone and he is still doing fine from all appearances.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    After sending my gas stove to the landfill, trading in my car for an EV, and transitioning to all plant based meats, I will be danged if I am going to put a non-California-Prop-65 compliant gasket on my carbon-burning, char-producing grill!

That would be suicide for me and the planet!

/sarcasm
    Clinton, Iowa
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    With all the stuff we ate growing up in 40's and 50's who worries about food grade. People were happier and healthier then.  
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston