Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

21 Hour Brisket

Options
First of all, the forum went down at exactly the wrong time. Last week, I tried a new brisket cooking technique that I read about.  I put the brisket on the Egg at about 7:00 PM at 250 degrees.  I let it cook allllllll the way to 190 with no wrap.  Then I pulled the brisket, brushed some butcher paper with beef tallow, wrapped the brisket, put it in a broiler pan with 1/2 cup of water, covered the pan with foil and put it in the oven at 150 degrees for 16 HOURS!!!  Results forthcoming...

First of all, I used the trimmings to make beef tallow for the first time.  Cool. 

Here is a medley of photos, pre-cook, post cook, first cut.

Look at that bark!  My dog is jealous of that bark!

And here is the baby all sliced up for consumption.  

Thanks for looking!
Maitland, FL
XL BGE since 2019

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,173
    Options
    Looks good from here!  See you didn't need the forum as a crutch.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    Looks like a winner!! Long rests yield excellent results 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gr_egger
    Gr_egger Posts: 74
    Options
    What is the final verdict?  Was it as good as it looks??
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    That’s dead sexy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,458
    Options
    That's a winner and whatever guidance/recipe you followed definitely worked.  Congrats on the cook. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,090
    Options
    I did the same this weekend ... got a brisket in, went to the forum for @lousubcap's epic essay on brisket ... doh! So now I've transposed it into a doc on my phone in case of future emergencies. :)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ragingirishman2
    Options
    I did the same this weekend ... got a brisket in, went to the forum for @lousubcap's epic essay on brisket ... doh! So now I've transposed it into a doc on my phone in case of future emergencies. :)
    The same thing happened to me when I did my brisket earlier this week. I went to see all the great advice and that "maintenance" page kept giving me the finger each time I hit refresh to see if the site was back. I now have a brisket doc on my cloud storage.
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Question for everyone saying they saved backup copies of brisket advice for any future forum outages….

Do you maintain emergency contact lists, duplicates of sensitive docs and contingency plans in the event of catastrophe?

If the answer is “no”, then you are truly a bbq enthusiast. 🙂
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    Gr_egger said:
    What is the final verdict?  Was it as good as it looks??
    Yes indeed. So tender and juicy...
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019