Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasting garlic...

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
Morning All:

It has been a while since I roasted large amounts of garlic to have on hand for recipes, so today I did ten heads...slice the tops just enough to soak with Olive Oil & onto the Egg indirect at about 375 degrees...

These went about an hour & now ready to pull...

Next popped them out of the skins...

Have a nice jar full for future cooks (first will probably be with the roasted root veggies at the Chain of Lakes Eggfest on 4/1)...

By the way, after pulling all of the cloves out the house has a wonderful aroma!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Won of my favorite ingredients, well played ( makes an excellent roasted granulated garlic) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    We do about 40 heads at a time, and then bag and freeze for use all year. I do the roasting, wife does the squeezing out. It's nice to pull out a head whenever you want that taste, and not have to do one when needed. The squeezing out job sucks, though.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    SSN686 said:
    Morning All:

I just felt movement...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I need to do this when I buy garlic in bulk at costco and then vacuum seal after roasting
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Growing up, my mother would sometimes serve  garlic roasted in the head (as per your second pic) in a pan of white wine and blue cheese. You’d take your piece of bread, sop up some reduced wine, scoop on some melted cheese and smear the roasted clove on. I have never seen this anywhere else and have no idea if it’s actually a thing. Such rich and complex flavours with only four ingredients - and that includes the bread. Showstopper of an appetizer, IMO, and simple to boot. 

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. 

sounded too good not to google search. more involved but still looks good

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • We’re having guests for drinks and apps tonight, so I actually reached out to my mother to see if she has an actual recipe. Will report back if she does. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    caliking said:
    SSN686 said:
    Morning All:

I just felt movement...
    Of course you did.   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• We’re having guests for drinks and apps tonight, so I actually reached out to my mother to see if she has an actual recipe. Will report back if she does. 
    Nope. She always just winged it. If I make, I’ll try @fishlessman’s find. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited March 2023
    We’re having guests for drinks and apps tonight, so I actually reached out to my mother to see if she has an actual recipe. Will report back if she does. 
    Nope. She always just winged it. If I make, I’ll try @fishlessman’s find. 
    Or you are not her favorite child and she doesn't actually want to share.

Remember the pizza dough guy who said he would take the recipe to his grave and wouldn't even share it with his son?

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Awesome - love this move.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”